Little Things You Hate

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Well there you go...apparently the solution to knife crime is tougher knife laws, which it seems just means bigger fines if you are caught with a knife. The last time I purchased plastic knives from Woolworth or Coles I had to have an attendant approve that i was old enough to buy a knife. Well actually with the end of plastic cutlery this may not be a problem anymore.

I'm glad people aren't just wandering around with knives and I am glad that you need to have a pretty darn good reason to have one with you if you are. Fines aren't much use if you don't get caught.
The last time I bought a knife, it was about 4 months ago, it was off Amazon, it was a Machete, and I had it delivered and left on my front doorstep within 12hours for about $60... I passed on the free Balaclava to one of the local kids.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well there you go...apparently the solution to knife crime is tougher knife laws, which it seems just means bigger fines if you are caught with a knife. The last time I purchased plastic knives from Woolworth or Coles I had to have an attendant approve that i was old enough to buy a knife. Well actually with the end of plastic cutlery this may not be a problem anymore.

I'm glad people aren't just wandering around with knives and I am glad that you need to have a pretty darn good reason to have one with you if you are. Fines aren't much use if you don't get caught.

I once rode through one of the meth head slums here en route to the forest to clear some lantana. I had my knee+shin pads on, gloves, helmet, and my khukri strapped to my chest. A police car drove along next to me for a little while then rather than ask me "what's up with knife?" They just drove away. Having been pulled over in the area plenty of times for no reason, in this instance I was a little disappointed they didn't just make sure I wasn't on my way to a rival dealers house.
I've got one of those multi task hammers for trail repairs and maintenance but I usually keep a sheath over the sharp end most of the time. Going to be an interesting conversation one day if I ever run into authorities. :D

1713327875923.png

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I work on bike trails, lots. Yonks ago I was near the top of a trail doing some chainsaw clearing (I had a permit to maintain the venue) with my car parked a few hundred meters down the fire road. It was a misty foggy morning, I was wearing my balaclava around my neck, a beanie and carrying my chainsaw and a saw in it's sheath on my thigh where I needed to jump off the bank onto the fire road. A few hundred meters down the road is a guy running up the hill wearing a vest with weight in it who is obviously training for something. I'm filthy dirty, sweating, its moody in the mist. Before I get a chance to smile and wave, this guy has chucked it in reverse and absolutely legged it back down the road. I chuckled, no worries.
A few hours later I'm working in an open section further down the trail with my car parked in the same opening. I'm now digging into a loose pile of dirt getting the good damp stuff to top up the lip of a bigger jump. The Paddy wagon comes fanging in, parks my car in and the Police officer's jump out. One of them fucking unclips the top of his holster for his gun! Proper movie kind of stuff. They make a slow pace towards me, I'm holding my shovel standing next to a big pile of fresh dirt. There's a chainsaw in the back of my ute, some 20 litre containers of water and a tray of bird seed that I have nearby to give the local magpies some snacks. The cops come over (one with hand his on hip.........) and they ask me what I'm doing. I told them I'm maintaining this bike trail presently by putting some moist dirt on this lip. You can see what I'm doing but they were suss. on me. I told them I have the permit for this area, I'm with so & so club etc etc. While they are computing all this stuff I started laughing (I must have looked like a proper crazy) as I realized the guy running earlier that morning has called the rozzers on me! I asked them and they told me to describe him. I did, I said he looked like Steve Monaghetti with his little fluffy shorts. That broke the ice, they took my details down and I showed them emailed copy of my permit. Interestingly though, they told me I should be wary of of having my cutting equipment in plain sight. I use a silky folding saw, a chainsaw and a big sugarcane knife for most of my clearing. They said in particular that the cane knife is considered as something a Primary Producer (ahem a farmer) needs a permit to move between his properties when it isn't locked in a toolbox (for example). Her said a machete should be treated the same. I didn't really care but am wary of how I store these things now when not in use.

I never saw the runner again.;)

Flow-Rider

Burner
I realized the guy running earlier that morning has called the rozzers on me!
He might have been one of them, the D's like to practice long distance running. I used to ride with a cop, and we'd be miles into the bush on our bikes and he would come across work colleagues jogging and decide to have a chinwag.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
at mountain bike tracks.

And where are they? They'll figure a way to fuck you if they want to, and if they have pulled you up and started asking its because they want to.

Here it is in state forest, national park, or maybe some still in a council park (wasn't last year when I went looking...but there is a new big road).

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
He might have been one of them, the D's like to practice long distance running. I used to ride with a cop, and we'd be miles into the bush on our bikes and he would come across work colleagues jogging and decide to have a chinwag.
I figured he was training for Police or ARMY or Fire etc, didn't actually cross my mind that he might have been the one who came back to shoot me.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
And where are they? They'll figure a way to fuck you if they want to, and if they have pulled you up and started asking its because they want to.

Here it is in state forest, national park, or maybe some still in a council park (wasn't last year when I went looking...but there is a new big road).
in the bush. there more than welcome to follow me to the bush to suss it out :p

ultimately there just machetes and you can easily buy them again for like 50 bucks or less

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Getting a $700 water consumption bill for my vacant town block of land in Victoria... Turns out a neighbour reported a leak to the water authority who investigated last September - they found the leak and as its on my side of the meter (ie one tap and about a metre of connecting pipe....) didnt fix it. And didnt bother to tell me about... I've not laid eyes on the place for about two years.

Have a plumber going out to look at it and I have a bad feeling about the incoming invoice. But the water people wont be getting their $700!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Getting a $700 water consumption bill for my vacant town block of land in Victoria... Turns out a neighbour reported a leak to the water authority who investigated last September - they found the leak and as its on my side of the meter (ie one tap and about a metre of connecting pipe....) didnt fix it. And didnt bother to tell me about... I've not laid eyes on the place for about two years.

Have a plumber going out to look at it and I have a bad feeling about the incoming invoice. But the water people wont be getting their $700!
I had two successive leaks in the water main to my property. Fortunately, it was only for around a week before it was noticed each time, but digging up the yard was a pain in the arse. Then of course was a big water bill a few months later.
Pretty shit that no one let you know.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I've got one of those multi task hammers for trail repairs and maintenance but I usually keep a sheath over the sharp end most of the time. Going to be an interesting conversation one day if I ever run into authorities. :D

View attachment 408685

Possibly posted this before, but a few years ago my brother was busily cutting through a fallen tree branch across a road in front of banked up cars in Canberra when the police approached and asked him what he was doing.

To which he replied "cutting this branch in half so I can go home".

Officer "where did you get an axe from?"

Brother "The boot of my car"

Officer "Why do you have an axe in your car?"

Brother "Isn't it obvious...?"