Little Things You Love

Matt H

Eats Squid
Fresh are a bunch of young liberal crackpot numpties. If I get one more yellow flyer shoved in my face I'm gonna slap some shit.

Besides, the red shirt mob are promising $8 jugs at the red room. That's got my vote.

Matt H

Eats Squid
You get a $5 refec voucher for voting. Although last year, fresh being the dodgy cunts they are, tried to make it sound like you only got the voucher if you voted for them...

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
May have to change my vote to something more in tune with my federal vote then...

But yeah, I'm not too keen on paying 250 dollar in union fees, but apparently it was really good when people did pay the fees... anyone experience that era?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
But yeah, I'm not too keen on paying 250 dollar in union fees, but apparently it was really good when people did pay the fees... anyone experience that era?
At the risk of derailing this thread completely... My closest experience to CSU vs VSU is depicted by my sister's involvement in the University Games. Basically, when she started, Uni Games was a party week - the union footed the bill for the teams to travel to whichever state it was being hosted in, and it meant a) a massive team, b) a shitload of fun sports that didn't get taken seriously and c) a week of getting pissed and not going to uni. Since VSU, it's a self-funded gig and costs you about $600 for the week, so only the most dedicated (and most competitive) of athletes in each sport go - this means no fun, and no piss-take Ultimate Frisbee tournament to get you out of a week of uni.

While I hardly count the above as a valid expenditure of Union funds, it's a good example of a real-world impact of VSU.

I'll only be at uni for one more semester anyway, but I'd happily pay the $250 annual union fees if it means better funding for extra-curricular stuff for students, even if it never directly benefited me.

Arete

Likes Dirt
I did undergrad just before VSU. If you were involved in clubs it was good, as the clubs were relatively well funded, and the uni food was actually cheap (not really any better, but cheap). The textbook co-op was a much better way to get books and I'm told things like childcare and so on were much better resourced.

However the student council (at least at Macquarie) were spending money on themselves in the form of dinners, functions etc and so on to the point of utter ridiculousness. Like fully catered parties in exclusive venues funded entirely by compulsory student union fees on a regular basis. Also a dispute over a student election went to the federal court of appeals funded in part by student fees - so it got fairly heavily abused by certain people.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I did undergrad just before VSU. If you were involved in clubs it was good, as the clubs were relatively well funded, and the uni food was actually cheap (not really any better, but cheap). The textbook co-op was a much better way to get books and I'm told things like childcare and so on were much better resourced.

However the student council (at least at Macquarie) were spending money on themselves in the form of dinners, functions etc and so on to the point of utter ridiculousness. Like fully catered parties in exclusive venues funded entirely by compulsory student union fees on a regular basis. Also a dispute over a student election went to the federal court of appeals funded in part by student fees - so it got fairly heavily abused by certain people.

My experience of CSU at two of the main Brisbane Uni's is pretty much the same as Arete has mentioned. I graduated a couple of years before VSU. I'm probably pro VSU, because I struggled to afford the fee's when I was at Uni.

The only fee subsidised thing I did attend was a shooting day at the range, which was super cheap and heaps of fun.

Last edited:
J

JaRedy

Wagamama! In specific their Spicy Chicken Itame and The Chicken Catsu - Orgasmic

Uni Games was a party week............... a week of getting pissed........ Ultimate Frisbee tournament to get you out of a week of uni.
Bahaha, pretty much exactly what my GF is doing this year. Going to Perth to play Ultimate Frisbee for uni games and partying every night. Soooo jealous!

Last edited by a moderator:

dcrofty

Eats Squid
From the Hate thread

Wandering into my LBS to get a spare (abet used) rim put onto a taco'd wheel and being told "we don't do that-take it somewhere else"
I love going into my old LBS that's a little further away and asking the same question and being told "sure, pick it up on Monday arvo"

and mushrooms. I love mushrooms.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
BBQ with a couple of close mates- kinda like a pre-bucks party (a close mate couldn't make it to the real deal)- eating a lot of meat and smashing through a case on a Friday night.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Drinking nice beer with my wife & our good friends in the warm sun celebrating the birthday of one of said friend's children, with whom my children, and all other friend's children get along with, so the day is Totally Stress Free.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Also we saw a turtle today, in the lake at Centennial Park. My son is obsessed with turtles atm, so that was great.

J

JaRedy

Also we saw a turtle today, in the lake at Centennial Park. My son is obsessed with turtles atm, so that was great.
You are a very, very cool Mister.

Wagamama! In specific their Spicy Chicken Itame and The Chicken Catsu - Orgasmic
Bahaha speaking of which, I just got a job there!

One thing I do love is getting spoiled for choice at places to work for after having several interviews/offers at restaurants and liquor outlets. What sucks is that they all came in the same fortnight after having about 8 months with 3 Interviews and no success.