Little Things You Love

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First like, real weekend, not working in about 4 years!

And an awesome rum punch currently soaking up some fruity goodness ready for tomorrow!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
IMO the Americans have NFI when it comes to making whiskey, beer, or food.
Sweet baby jesus that is a bad call.

It's been US brewers that have been behind the massive craft beer revolution that's taking the world by storm. In spirits, they have hundreds of different varieties of vintage bourbons(as opposed to our paltry Bundaberg rum and a couple of unfortunately still-too-young whisky distilleries) and what with cities like New York and San Francisco being absolute magnets for Michelin Stars and a huge variety of cooking styles like Cajun, New England, Californian and Tex-Mex nestled alongside the multitudes of smaller ethnic cuisines typically found in a nation of immigrants they've got us beat hands down in the food department too!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The American marketers have NFI when it comes to ....

They keep trying to tell the world that everyday american stuff is the best in the world. There probably is some good stuff there but its lost in the hype.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
I love that people have appreciated my music enough to get me a number of gig offers, interviews and just general support. Feeling damn good right now.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Can you give me a list of the whiskey, beer, and food you've had in america ?
I'll tell you where you're going wrong if you think it's that bad...

FWIW, the entire population of australia is about the same as the population of texas. There's just so many more people living there that even someone living there their whole life would never find every pocket of variety, it's pretty unfair to say every whiskey, beer, and food product is bad.

As for micro brews, the north west has some amazing ones to offer. My fav is Pyramid Brewery, i may be biased as they were literally 20 mins down the road from my home tho.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Give me a list so I can sample and perhaps stand corrected?
Here are a few favorites that are approaching mainstream beers-you could find atleast one of them in most diners or bars and cost about $10-$12 a six pack at any given supermarket:
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (or basically anything by the Sierra Nevada Bewing Company)
Arrogant Bastard Pale ale (or anything by Stone brewery)
Rogue
Lagunitas
Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale (Again, anything by dogfish head)

It only gets better from there. Judging American beer by Bud Light or Millers is about as sensible as judging Australia beer by VB or XXXX gold.

Food wise:
New Orleans Cajun and Creole
American Pork Ribs
Tex-Mex, Nachos
Southern Fry
Chicago Deepdish Pizza
American Steak

Again, all stuff that can be found in a given diner or bar, all really tasty and all really cheap. And if made/served properly, actually relatively healthy (excluding southern fry).

American food isn't the reason some people end up fat. It is the quantity it comes in. Plenty of places serve starters that are larger than a full meal in an Australian restaurant. Add in how cheap and accessibly eating out is, and suddenly it becomes an issue.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Here are a few favorites that are approaching mainstream beers-you could find atleast one of them in most diners or bars and cost about $10-$12 a six pack at any given supermarket:
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (or basically anything by the Sierra Nevada Bewing Company)
Arrogant Bastard Pale ale (or anything by Stone brewery)
Rogue
Lagunitas
Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale (Again, anything by dogfish head)

It only gets better from there. Judging American beer by Bud Light or Millers is about as sensible as judging Australia beer by VB or XXXX gold.

Food wise:
New Orleans Cajun and Creole
American Pork Ribs
Tex-Mex, Nachos
Southern Fry
Chicago Deepdish Pizza
American Steak

Again, all stuff that can be found in a given diner or bar, all really tasty and all really cheap. And if made/served properly, actually relatively healthy (excluding southern fry).

American food isn't the reason some people end up fat. It is the quantity it comes in. Plenty of places serve starters that are larger than a full meal in an Australian restaurant. Add in how cheap and accessibly eating out is, and suddenly it becomes an issue.
Where the hell are you shopping!?!?!?!? I'm lucky to find Sierra Nevada anywhere under $20.

AS for food, how can we neglect to mention the mighty Hamburger!? Sure McDonalds may have spoiled the concept with their crappy mass-marketed rolls but a well made burger is truly a thing of beauty*

*Please note, beetroot and fried egg should be NOWHERE F***ING NEAR IT!!!!!!

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
*Please note, beetroot and fried egg should be NOWHERE F***ING NEAR IT!!!!!!
Maaate, we're gunna farkin send yas to Nauru if yas keep talkin shit like that!

As for beer, Seppos actually do make some decent ones. SNPA as mentioned is pretty good, and getting much easier to find in Aus now.

Whiskey - can't remember the name of the one I had the other night but it was mind-blowingly awesome. From Kentucky I think, and more of a bourbon than a true whiskey (and I'm not even much of a bourbon drinker). I have a bottle on order - $200 and worth every cent. Edit: It's called George T Stagg. And it's brilliant.

I've never really been enamoured of American food though.

And for the country that spawned fucking Starbucks and a million other coffee chains, their coffee is uniformly atrocious. Don't ever order a cappucino in Utah - I got 'that look' - like I'd just asked to shoot the publicans wife and fuck his dog - and they gave me filter coffee with canned whipped cream sprayed on the top. Fucking Mormons.

Last edited:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, V8SC series this year!! New COTF rules are mixing it up in a big way. New Pukekohe track looking amazing, and so pumped to be working on the Townsville circuit in just a few short weeks!!!