Live Music Thread

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Le Femme D'argent is one of my all-time fav pieces of music.

Deerhoof a pretty cool. I can only take them in small doses, but I'm glad that they exist.

I spent the weekend rediscovering Justice with their Woman Worldwide performance. From Daft Punk, to Air, to Justice, PAris has really pumped out some awesome electronic acts over the last generation.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
On Friday I'm seeing a couple of bands who were pretty big in my impressionable youth, 1927 and Boom Crash Opera. A bit tame by some people's standards here, but I don't give a shit, I like them! Gig review to follow in due course.
The follow-up:

Being a double-header, each band had a set of about an hour, so a bit limited in the depths of material they could draw from, but both picked a good spread from their respective catalogues., although with an understandable emphasis on their best-known stuff.

BCO had the first set, but given the way they grabbed the audience, should have had the second slot to send us home on a high. Singer Dale Ryder showed his age a bit & strumbled a little bit on a few falsetto parts, but overall was in very fine voice and really brought the crowd into the show, especially on best-known songs "Hands Up In The Air", "Get Out Of The House", "The Best Thing", "Dancing In The Storm" and "Onion Skin".

On the flip side, 1927 were good, but just didn't have that "It" factor to really grab the audience. Frontman Erik Weideman is the only member of the original band, so in a way it's more like him solo with a backing band, rather than a "proper" 1927. They played, and Erik sang, really well, but there was a vibe that they were just there doing a job. The closing song in their set, "If I Could", was really the only one that brought the crowd to its feet, so would have been a good crowd-pumper if the sets were reversed....

I'd see the Crashies again in a flip, but to be honest wouldn't go out of my way to see 1927 again unless they were on a shared bill.

slowmick

38-39"
1710378619885.png

Chauffeured my family to and from the P!nk show at Marvel stadium last night. The ladies had an awesome time. There was no problem figuring out when the show finished - the La Trobe street bridge disappeared in a plume of firework smoke.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The Cruel Sea last night, playing the Honeymoon is over album.

Umm. A bit disappointing to be honest… Tex clearly had zero interest in being there and was at best going through the motions. And the PA/mix was pretty rubbish. Oh well, it’s still a great album :)

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

Umm. A bit disappointing to be honest… Tex clearly had zero interest in being there and was at best going through the motions. And the PA/mix was pretty rubbish. Oh well, it’s still a great album :)
That's a shame to hear. The Cruel Sea is/was one of my favourite live bands

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Tex is really into his johnny cash show these days.

I saw fear factory live a million years ago and they were awesome, even though it was at a big day. The huge crowd of metal heads that turned up (pretty much) just to see them completely swallowed the people watching super grass.

I have never seenachine head live. I understand both these bands have had a bit of a line up shuffle over the years. I still enjoy their music from time to time. I don't think my ears would survive either live. Can you hear yet @fjohn860 ?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Tex is really into his johnny cash show these days.

I saw fear factory live a million years ago and they were awesome, even though it was at a big day. The huge crowd of metal heads that turned up (pretty much) just to see them completely swallowed the people watching super grass.

I have never seenachine head live. I understand both these bands have had a bit of a line up shuffle over the years. I still enjoy their music from time to time. I don't think my ears would survive either live. Can you hear yet @fjohn860 ?
Yes, both bands as I understand it only have one original member each. Machine Head's Rob Flynn and Fear Factory's Dino Cazares.

Never been to a bad Machine Head concert, though last time I saw Fear Factory they were a little underwhelming.

Last night was ace.

As for my hearing, ever since an Airbourne concert 15yrs ago (where I still had a slight ringing in my ears 3 days later) I have worn earplugs. I found they don't detract from the sound at all and at the very least filter out some of the excess unwanted high frequency treble.

boyracer

Likes Dirt

Did the fly interstate and redeye back for work in morning thing to see Beasts last year and got similar vibe from Tex. Seems that others in band need the money, he was just going through he motions. I put it down to YKYGOW.
Still in two minds as to whether to commit to ADL Beasts gig in a month or so. Any burners keen to see 'em?
Fun fact: Tex slept on my couch a few nights BITD in Cairns.