L'officiel Le Tour 2009 Thread!

Bodin

GMBC
15kms to go, the breakaway will get caught and the Phil and Paul are talking up the uphill finish as if it'll stop Cavendish from winning. I still think he will.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll shout Boonen a few lines and see if he can change that. Just to make it interesting.

Bodin

GMBC
:D
I'd just love one of the other sprinters to step up, I really don't want to see Cavendish win again.
I didn't either, but DAMN he's strong! Hushovd tried different tactics and failed worse than he did last night and Farrar just didn't *quite* have the strength.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As much as I don't particularly like Cavendish you have to respect him, he is a machine and quite professional for a young bloke.

Bodin

GMBC
Yep, going on that post-race interview, he definitely understands how dependent he is on his team and pays them a lot of credit.

Boonen should not have come to this Tour and I'm probably going to boo him if he makes it over Ventoux and then wins on the Champs. Considering who he replaced and the fact that he's done zip, zero, zilch, nada with his luck...

Last edited:

Gnar

Squid
I fell asleep midawy last night, woke up again to WeatherWatch. Working full-time and watching Live Tour de France Stages is detremental to one's wellbeing.
Did anyone have anything on Farrar? He got pretty close. Did anyone see the pre-race interview with Christian Vande Velde? He looks and sounds pretty confident, he took 4th last year so it'll be interesting to see his form in the mountains this year...give me some odds.

climbo

Likes Dirt
Boonen should not have come to this Tour and I'm probably going to boo him if he makes it over Ventoux and then wins on the Champs. Considering who he replaced and the fact that he's done zip, zero, zilch, nada with his luck...
could not agree more !!!!

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Why do riders at the very back (last place etc) raise their hand? If the cars can't move out of position to bring water up to the peleton and it's the riders that go back to the cars then why raise the hand?

Riders (mostly domestics) will be in charge of keeping the team hydrated, to do so they must move back to the end of the bunch and raise their hand. The car which is directly behind the bunch is generally the race comissaire and director, the race comissaire will radio to the Team Director's car. The Team director will move up the traffic and stay behind the Race director's car.
From that moment the bottles can be taken.
Also, this is not always possible and i think depending on the road conditions(bends, narrow road, urban zone, ....) the comissaire will refuse the team car to move up and the rider will drop back to its team car.

alexb618

Likes Dirt
Why do riders at the very back (last place etc) raise their hand? If the cars can't move out of position to bring water up to the peleton and it's the riders that go back to the cars then why raise the hand?
previous post is correct

i think also pre-radio, the left hand signalled you had a flat front, right hand meant flat rear...

bazza

look at me
hahah how good was mark cavs interview. if you look at the overheads it was like a fruit salad and we are the spoon. guy gives good/amusing interviews.

mtb1611

Seymour
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the biggest loser of last night's stage was the small dog ran over b one of the red Race Director vehicles; around the 90km to go mark perhaps?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Poor pup.

Remember a few years ago how the labrador took out some of the riders in the breakaway? :p
I even think it might have been Lance, but my memory isn't that great.

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
ah, i feel sorry for the poor bastards out riding in that weather.

before i go to bed, my words of wisdom are.

Brakeaway will get caught, astana will rape the lot, contador, armstrong and shleck will make a move, cadel will try to get on but wont do very well.

ill be wrong but its a guess:p

mtb1611

Seymour
Poor pup.

Remember a few years ago how the labrador took out some of the riders in the breakaway? :p
I even think it might have been Lance, but my memory isn't that great.
Lance and a Telekom rider perhaps? Except the lab lived to tell the tale; not so with regard to last night's canine intruder...

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's too early Conor. I don't think there will be any big moves tonight. I think tomorrow night will be the absolute earliest we will see any breaks from the big players.

mtb, perhaps? I was thinking Lance and Ullrich plus a couple of others, maybe not though.

Come to think of it, there has been a number of animals on the roads over a few years, remember the horses making the break our of their paddock and running through town a few years ago as well?

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
mtb, perhaps? I was thinking Lance and Ullrich plus a couple of others, maybe not though.
Yes mate i think you're right; these blind folk dose up their guide dogs on cheap frog plonk and let them wander the course methinks, hehe.