L'officiel Le Tour 2010 Thread!

Lorday

Eats Squid
Not often you crash AFTER you've finished a stage...

http://nos.nl/video/170921-tour-mcewen-valt-na-de-finish.html

His race is just getting worse and worse. Wouldn't be surprised if he pulls the plug on the mountains. He must be soooooo sore after 2 big stacks.
Hes nowhere near his old form (2005 tour), but I rate him for the green. Unlike some of the bigger sprinters, he can climb. I dont actually think hes getting worse, or that much slower, he just doesn't have the fire on his legs to get that intial 'jump'.

Bodin

GMBC
Hes nowhere near his old form (2005 tour) but I rate him for the green.
He won in 2002, 2004 & 2006 (not 2005) and even if he makes it to Paris in 2010, he won't be in contention by the time he gets there. Even a guy with a broken arm (Farrar) is finishing faster than him at the moment.

Unlike some of the bigger sprinters, he can climb. I dont actually think hes getting worse, or that much slower, he just doesn't have the fire on his legs to get that intial 'jump'.
He's got plenty of initial jump (which is why he's finishing in the points), but no top end anymore (which is why he can't overtake once the sprint is on). He's had clear roads ahead of him on three occasions now (including last night) and hasn't been able to crank it for the win.

And now that the dumb-arse media dude knocked him off his bike yesterday, his body soreness is going to be insane, which means his race is getting worse. (Which is what I actually said, as opposed to HIM getting worse...). He can climb over rolling hills when he's part of a peloton, but once the big climbs blow the peloton apart, he's usually one of the first off the back and I don't see it being any different this year.

It's like watching the end of Zabel's racing days all over again. So close, but so far away.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Im only repeating what was said on SBS last night, but he may not win a stage, but he has been in every sprint finish so far (correct me if I am wrong) and is getting the points. If he can make it to Paris he has what it takes to contest each sprint even if he doesn't win, which could see him in green. Im not putting my money on him getting green, but if he can get past the mountains and his injuries i think he could do it.

But who thinks this has been the best Tour in a while so far? There has been a lot of crazy stages and no one has been able to pick a clear winner for any of the stages so far. No team or rider is dominating and its looking like theres pretty even competition for the green and yellow jerseys.

Bodin

GMBC
But who thinks this has been the best Tour in a while so far?
Absolutely. I am riveted good and proper for the first time in ages. Tonight is the first night that I'm going to try and see it through to 2am. I've been recording it and watching it in the mornings (on annual leave at the moment), but I can't wait that long to see the outcome of tonight's stage. It's where we find out if Cadel is killer or filler.

akashra

Eats Squid
Indeed. And now that I think about it, I don't think I've heard and big news about doping scandals yet either.

Bodin

GMBC
Indeed. And now that I think about it, I don't think I've heard and big news about doping scandals yet either.
Speaking of dopers, unless he's got something up his sleeve for the final climbs today, Armstrong's GC chances look to have disappeared.

The other GC riders (Alberto, Andy, Cadel, Vino, etc...) are all in the right place. That crash before the start of the climb has cost Armstrong dearly.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Speaking of dopers, unless he's got something up his sleeve for the final climbs today, Armstrong's GC chances look to have disappeared.

The other GC riders (Alberto, Andy, Cadel, Vino, etc...) are all in the right place. That crash before the start of the climb has cost Armstrong dearly.
Yeah his chances are gone he may get a stage victory and top ten thats about it. Cadel is looking very strong.

Bodin

GMBC
Team Astana and their super-domestique (Vino) are showing why Contador is odds on favourite to win this race. Not even SaxoBank can get as organised as Astana are at the moment.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Team Astana and their super-domestique (Vino) are showing why Contador is odds on favourite to win this race. Not even SaxoBank can get as organised as Astana are at the moment.
Yeah they are very much in charge, i cant believe armstrong crashed again though.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im not sure if contador couldn't go or didn't go with shlecks attack hopefully he gets his ass beat as for cadel he looked good all day and only looked slightly in trouble when schleck attacked.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Absolutely. I am riveted good and proper for the first time in ages. Tonight is the first night that I'm going to try and see it through to 2am.
I stayed up all night too - F1 & then this. Go Aussies! I was on the edge of my seat from the start of the last climb...kept looking at Cadel's poker-face wondering if he's going to crack or not.

Bodin

GMBC
...kept looking at Cadel's poker-face wondering if he's going to crack or not.
He definitely cracked, but only when Andy attacked - dropped straight to the back of the back and was even behind Rogers for a few metres.

The real mystery (as Ham wondered) is whether Contador tried to go with Andy or not. You just don't know and that is where the race really lies.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
It wouldn't surprise me if it was a calculated move by Cadel to hang back. He seemed to make sure that Contador couldn't match it and then stopped chasing.

I think Cadel may have even been secretly hoping that Andy took the yellow to keep the pressure off him and his team for the time being. Great to see him don the jersey again though. Go Aussie!

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
It wouldn't surprise me if it was a calculated move by Cadel to hang back. He seemed to make sure that Contador couldn't match it and then stopped chasing.

I think Cadel may have even been secretly hoping that Andy took the yellow to keep the pressure off him and his team for the time being. Great to see him don the jersey again though. Go Aussie!
There was a comment which Cadel made during the interview at the end of the stage that he had 'saved himself' for another otherday - or some words to that effect. I was left thinking he had not chased as hard as he could've.... Or perhaps he was just saying that to cover himself... either way.. great ride..

Bodin

GMBC

There was a comment which Cadel made during the interview at the end of the stage that he had 'saved himself' for another otherday - or some words to that effect. I was left thinking he had not chased as hard as he could've.... Or perhaps he was just saying that to cover himself... either way.. great ride..
Be that as it may, but find me a TDF winner from the modern era who hasn't won a stage. "Saving yourself" over the last kilometre of a stage is a crock - by the time you're there, you're either done or you're not. Cadel's not going to win it without at some point proving he's the best rider there.

The reality is that I suspect he's not the best rider there. I'd love to be wrong, but it looks obvious to me that Shleck is genuine and the only doubt left after last night is whether Contador is foxing or not. Cadel is on the next tier down with Basso, Menchov, Sastre (don't write him off - looking very comfortable), etc, fighting it out for the third step on the podium.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I was absolutely thrilled to see a team mate (Morabito) keeping him company for 99% of the stage. That's gotta be the first time that Cadel's had support up a big hill that I can remember - this is the thing going in his favour at the moment. Personally, I hope they don't try too hard to defend. I'd hate to see BMC blow all its firepower on arbitrarily maintaining the Maillot Jaune this early in the race.

Great tour - best for years.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
All I'm gonna say is , THANK F#@K for the first rest day, 'cos I'm really suffering.
Looking forward to an early night tonight to help recover for the next stage.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Be that as it may, but find me a TDF winner from the modern era who hasn't won a stage.
Bodin, what a short memory you have. Is Óscar Pereiro 2006 modern era?

Before that was Le Monde in 1990, so probably not the modern era.

Last edited: