Looking back with a smile

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and even early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked. We had no child-proof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pots and pans.

When we rode our bikes we wore no helmets, just thongs and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same... strange how water tastes just like ....well ...water!

We ate chips, on bread and butter and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

Your mother MADE ice blocks out of dilutable orange drinks.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually died from this..

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we had forgotton the brakes.

After running into stinging nettles a few times we learned to solve the problem (dock leaves).

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all.
No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs and no Internet chat rooms.

We had friends - we went outside and found them.

We played football in winter , and cricket every summer.

We fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no lawsuits.

We had full on fistfights but no prosecution followed from other parents.

We played knock-on-the-door-and-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.

We WALKED, yes walked to friends' homes.

We also believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school - which was just round the corner

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them Congratulations! (Well done living this long).

Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.

For those of you who aren't old enough thought you might like to read about us.

This, my friends, is surprisingly frightening and it might put a smile on your face: The majority of students in universities today were born in 1986.
They are called youth.

Check this out!
They have never heard of "We are the World", "We are the children", and the Uptown Girl they know is by West life not Billy Joel.

Black Betty has only been sung by SpiderBait.

For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam.

AIDS has existed since they were born.

CD's have existed since they were born.

Michael Jackson has always been white.

To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance.

They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are only movies.

They can never imagine life before computers.

They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, or the Famous Five

They'll never have applied to be on "Romper Room"

They can't believe a black and white television ever existed And they will never understand how we could leave the house without a mobile phone.

Now let's check if we're getting old.

1 You understand what was written above and you smile.
2 You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.
3 You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with computers.
4 When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.
5 You remember watching MASH the first time round.
6 You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the good old days, repeating again all the funny things you have experienced together.
7 Having read this mail, you are thinking of forwarding it to some other friends because you think they will like it too.

And finally, remember - you are not old - just fortunate!

scottmeister

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice stereotypical childhood.

Oh, I've never heard and/or liked any song/band that was made before I was born :rolleyes:

dilemma

girl+bike
Born 1981... oh how the time flies...

R33F said:
When we rode our bikes we wore no helmets, just thongs and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels
YES

R33F said:
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same... strange how water tastes just like ....well ...water!
YES

R33F said:
We ate chips, on bread and butter and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.
YES

R33F said:
YES

R33F said:
We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually died from this..
YES

R33F said:
After running into stinging nettles a few times we learned to solve the problem (dock leaves).
YES

R33F said:
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.
YES

R33F said:
We had friends - we went outside and found them.
YES

R33F said:
We fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no lawsuits.
YES

R33F said:
We WALKED, yes walked to friends' homes.
YES

R33F said:
We also believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school - which was just round the corner
YES

R33F said:
We made up games with sticks and tennis balls
YES

R33F said:
They'll never have pretended to be the Famous Five
"We are the famous five... Julian, Dick, George, Anne and Timmy the do-o-og..."

I was always Anne.

Dicky

Punter God
yeah, I got that email too - from dad, the day after I finished school.

they should bring back 'accidents'. Anyone remember those?

edit: The Famous Five rocks.

I also have the theme from The Trap Door as an mp3 for nostalgic purposes.
(Drut backwards is Turd.... haha....)

Last edited:

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Brilliant... the ABSOLUTE first post I've ever FULLY related to here on Farkin.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Are you for real :eek: The hose tasted like SHIT!! Didn't kill us though.....

I was as fat as fk when I was a kid because I ate this stuff, I also played league and rode a bike, walked to school etc. I am not fat anymore because I don't eat like that and I do far less sport these days.....usually due to injury tho :eek:

How good were they!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law.
That's something I wish were different back then!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
As it has been for almost every generation since the industrial revolution.

They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, or the Famous Five
Hey! I may have been a kid, but I still had taste!

Whilst this is funny and in many ways relevent, it's that way for every generation. Everything is new at some point, and seen as an anomalie or even with disdain by the older more self-righteously nostalgic generation.

Aristotle (or was it Socrates..... :confused: ) famously complained of the lack of discipline and respect in youth..........

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they’re here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday."

-DAvo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what do you mean as children??? i still i still do some of that stuff... ;)

and i only feel old when i see kids nearly half my age pulling crazy long manuals... and kids that fall off their bikes but seem to bounce off the ground... *sigh*

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Wow, I was already in grade 4 before Dilemma was even born!

So she never saw Masters of the Universe, Star Blazers, Machine Men, Thundercats, The Greatest American Hero, Mork and Mindy (Nanoo, Nanoo, Shuzbut), never wanted a cabbage patch kid or a care bear, doesn't remember us ever winning the Americas Cup, never saw Countdown...

Cripes, last year we had a work experience student in who we were talking about war to (I work for the War Memorial). The first war he could remember was the war with Iraq, no, not the first one, this one! Still, the first war I can remember was the Falklands so I guess what goes around comes around...

On the whole Schapelle Corby issue, if I said "Barlow and Chambers"...

Or try this:
"Bobby Sands is free!"
"Yeah, well so was the food."

Who out there when they hear the word "Solidarity" think it should be spelled ending in "nsc"?

Do you remember "Beyond 2000"?
Do you remember "Towards 2000"????

As for never having heard music made before you were born that you liked, I'll just have to shake my head and tutt tutt off into the distance muttering about "youth these days..."

Reptileman

Likes Dirt
I remember every point of that and love it all. Thanks for the reminiscing and smile that you put on my face R33F.

I know you didnt actually write it, but to post it up for all to see is good enough in my books!!!!

Thats Gold!

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reptileman said:
I know you didnt actually write it, but to post it up for all to see is good enough in my books!!!!
Correct... and i would never take credit for megatrons work....

But, was told to pass it on for all to have a giggle at.

Glad it put a smile on some faces !

(even if slightly grey and starting to wrinkle ) :D

dilemma

girl+bike
FR Drew said:
Wow, I was already in grade 4 before Dilemma was even born!

So she never wanted a cabbage patch kid or a care bear, doesn't remember us ever winning the Americas Cup,

Hang on, hang on!

Cabbage Patch Kids and Care Bears were in the height of desirability when I was a wee lass (must have been circa 1985) :p

I had 2 Cabbage patch kids & my best friend had one called Ferdinand Sylvester.

I also LOVED my sunshine Care Bear, and my aunty took me to the movies to see it (my first memory of going to the movies!) I would have been about 4.

Rainbow Bright? STrawberry Shortcake? Yep, had 'em, my best friend also had Buddy Blue and Strawberry's friend (yellow hair?).

And we had an America's Cup boxing kangaroo commemorative towel or something like that. I DO remember! :D

My little pony? Smurfs?

Peter Russell Clark on ABC at 5:55pm before the news and after Inspector Gadget (I think?)

"Come and get it, come and get it, with Peter (got it!) Russell (got it!) Claaaaaark!!! (got it!)"

dilemma

girl+bike
johnny said:
Are you for real :eek: The hose tasted like SHIT!! Didn't kill us though.....
Ha ha, yeh, that funny dirt taste. But it meant that you didn't have to take your shoes off to go inside, and you could keep playing!

johnny said:
(Re: Famous Five) Hey! I may have been a kid, but I still had taste!
What? Famous Five bad taste? I held Enid Blyton on the pedestal of literary brilliance in the adventure genre! (And still do? :rolleyes: )

Famous Five, yeh they were cool, but the Adventurous Four were better. Secret Seven, the girls were too annoying and the guys too self righteous.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Wow! sharp memories for a little tacker Dilemma!

So who's the first Doctor Who you can remember then?
I'm pretty sure I only ever saw John Pertwee on re-runs, it's Tom Baker for me. And how funny was it when Tristan from All Creatures Great and Small got the gig?

No risers to the Bobby Sands gag?

scblack

Leucocholic
FR Drew said:
I'm pretty sure I only ever saw John Pertwee on re-runs, it's Tom Baker for me. And how funny was it when Tristan from All Creatures Great and Small got the gig?
Er, it's Jon Pertwee, and he's the first I remember, but my favourite by far is Tom Baker (with Leela).

dilemma

girl+bike
FR Drew said:
Wow! sharp memories for a little tacker Dilemma!

Ha ha thanks Drew. It hasn't started getting grey and hazy yet, so I've still got some years left in me!

Never got into Doctor Who... I think I was scared? :eek: My uncle used to watch it and I would hide my eyes behind a pillow... now I'm really embarrassed! :eek: :eek:

scblack

Leucocholic
dilemma said:
Never got into Doctor Who... I think I was scared? :eek: My uncle used to watch it and I would hide my eyes behind a pillow... now I'm really embarrassed! :eek: :eek:
Is it a girl thing? - getting scared of Dr.Who? - I just recently found out that my sister was always scared shitless watching Dr.Who as well. :)

I just loved it, and would be glued in front of the TV for The Goodies and Dr.Who from 6-7pm. :cool:

RCOH

Eats Squid
dilemma said:
Ha ha thanks Drew. It hasn't started getting grey and hazy yet, so I've still got some years left in me!

I used to hide behind my dad's armchair when he watched Dr Who, daleks freaked me out!! :eek: