Lysterfield MTB Park Trail Building

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
no, not really a DH track, but a more advanced level track than what is currently in the area :)

Last edited:

Olly76

Likes Dirt
More so AM style track. Area we are building doesn't have the drop in elevation to create a DH track as such. Track will definately be Advanced so we can put in lots of TTF's to add a bit of variety to the trails. As Retro stated more to come down the track.

Was with PV this morning and there might be an area we can get some DH trails into.....BUT....don't get too excited this will be further down the track. Another good suggestion from the boys at Lysterfield PV was to talk with the PV guys at Dandenongs Ranges. Any volunteers to head up a new project for LDTR????? Would be good to get a couple of bodies to advocate a DH trail in the Dandenongs for Club LDTR. PM myself or Ando to see how we can help.

See you ALL on Saturday morning 8am or 10am Trailmix.

Olly

Hey guys, Ive been riding at Lysterfield for ages, so am going to come along to the trail build on saturday - think its about time I put something into the mountain bike community. Plus meet some more riders! Can one of you approve my registration on the lysterfieldmtb.com website so I can join in on the forum??! thanks!
Justin

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
Just rode the New pump track at Lysterfield for a second time and threw together an edit to show what it's like.
I'm new to "pumping" technique so some criticism's would be much appreciated

Here's the vid.

[video=youtube;QzZAo-9EZ24]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzZAo-9EZ24[/video]

I would like say thanks too all the trail builders at lystie, I have helped a few times but for all the regulars It's awesome that you are making lysterfield a better place to ride.

akashra

Eats Squid
More fore/aft movement.

Everyone's way of doing it and their technique might be a bit different, but the gist of the way I explain how I ride (or used to - haven't done so in well over 10 years) these kinds of tracks is:
- Pull up through the rollers almost like you're trying to manual in to them
- At the same time you need to get your weight behind the saddle without pulling backwards
- At the peak of the roller, you need your body weight to be thrown downwards, not forwards, but your position forward (if that makes sense). Pushing forward doesn't take advantage of gravity.

shakes

Likes Dirt
I shouldn't comment because I'm no good at it myself. But move your weight forward a little, try keep your body a little flatter and pump more. As you come up the front side, bring the bike up underneath you and then "pump" the bike back down and use the transition to shoot you forwards, don't forget to use your legs as well as your arms to do this... Then Lift/tuck the bike back up underneath yourself to bring you back up the next face and so on. Looks like your a little rigid?

As for the berms I really can't comment as I'm yet to even get them right once.

How did the trail building day go? I should make it to the next one.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
The Trail building went really well...
Thanks to all that attended, a big effort.

Regarding getting the pump track right, there are 2 tips....

The really fast people on this track i always notice that there ankles are moving HEAPS on the rollers, i always just throw a heap of effort at them and that gets me going fast enough to catch most people.
The berms.... the bottom 210 degree berm.... the trick to this one is.... 100% commitment to the right hander before it.
If you really throw yourself into this right hander it puts you into the correct position for the big berm.

Hope that helps :)

I encourage everyone to attend the next trail day on 20th of August, or PM me because i will be out there building most weekends until then :)

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
Ok cool, so it seems like I need to pull inwards a bit more and relax my body, Thanks for the tips. I tried hitting the 270 degree berm harder but washed out pretty bad so I was being a bit of a pussy for the rest of the time lol.

So you wreckon I should pump it like these guys?
handcar.jpg

As for the trail building I didn't make the trail building session yesterday so if someone could comment and perhaps show some photos of the progress of the new trail that would be awesome.

I did help out with an unscheduled trail building session last weekend down at the jumps and they are starting to look really good.

Last edited:

scotty thommo

Likes Dirt
Just rode the New pump track at Lysterfield for a second time and threw together an edit to show what it's like.
I'm new to "pumping" technique so some criticism's would be much appreciated

Here's the vid.

I would like say thanks too all the trail builders at lystie, I have helped a few times but for all the regulars It's awesome that you are making lysterfield a better place to ride.

i think that you should give it a try with your forks unlocked. i have riddin the track ridig and with suspension and i think that having suspension helps also try and losen up, you look very stiff in the video. try and let the bike move under you and not always you moving with the bike. plus to gain speed out of the corners try and pull the bike out of the corner like trying to manual out.

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the tips Scotty, I'm happy I took the video cause it is clear I am not shifting my body weight at the correct times, My arms are working but my body needs to move much much more. I'll give the suspension a shot too.

I came across this tut that shows very well how to position your body etc.

[video=youtube;y9cwoQpRUqo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9cwoQpRUqo[/video]

I'm so excited about the new trails at Lystie, Some TTF's suited to "advanced" riding styles will be awesome! And the skills park on the way will be a great way for me to further improve my skills in a "safer" environment :)

Cranker

Likes Dirt
Last trail building for 2011

strailbuildingnoticenov.jpg

C'mon everyone! We need heaps of people to help out with the brand new trail that Nick & Tony built!!:clap2::clap2:

NS Capital Man

Likes Dirt
What's the go with that new section of trail right on the otherside of the fire road at follow me? Is it meant to be ridden downhill or uphill or both and will it be xc or more AM?

I also heard from a mate that there is going to be a set of tabletops at the end of follow me. Is this true? If so it will be sick!