Lysterfield track closures

Propagate

Likes Dirt
What constitutes 'internal'? We were hoping to park at lysterfield on Saturday, ride up Logan track, cross Wellington Rd and ride up Dargon track on the way out to Olinda.

If we park off wellington rd and head up dargon, is that still part of the park and subject to the same closures?

Cheers.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
What constitutes 'internal'? We were hoping to park at lysterfield on Saturday, ride up Logan track, cross Wellington Rd and ride up Dargon track on the way out to Olinda.

If we park off wellington rd and head up dargon, is that still part of the park and subject to the same closures?

Cheers.

Correct... you are running the risk of a fine....

Only the picnic area is open

Last edited:

Propagate

Likes Dirt
Correct... you are running the risk of a fine....

Only the picnic area is open
Well, scratch that idea anyway. Just checked the parks website for Dandenong Ranges park and all tracks bar 2 are closed anyway, so no way up to Olinda for us anyhow.

Raining here again as we speak, more forecast for tomorrow & Saturday, so looks like no riding any time soon.

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Youies has track closures as well i believe, check the you yangs mtb club website. Wet all around and 100 km's on the cards next saturday. Great.............

serowe

Likes Dirt
You Yangs Regional Park is closed full stop - not just the trails, the whole park is closed until further notice - asbestos pipes have been uncovered by last weekends rains.

Where to ride ?

With the Lysterfield trails closed - where else do people go for a trail ride ? I'm in Glen Waverley - somewhere nearby - Lysterfield was perfect (location).

Any thoughts / suggestions...? Have ridden You Yangs - but that's closed too !

martinpb

Likes Dirt
With the Lysterfield trails closed - where else do people go for a trail ride ? I'm in Glen Waverley - somewhere nearby - Lysterfield was perfect (location).

Any thoughts / suggestions...? Have ridden You Yangs - but that's closed too !
Woodend, Forrest, Anglesea, Erica, Lake Mt, Buxton for trail parks

Gembrook, Dandenongs, Kinglake, North Eastern ranges for exploratory rides

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You Yangs Regional Park is closed full stop - not just the trails, the whole park is closed until further notice - asbestos pipes have been uncovered by last weekends rains.
makes you wonder what kind of toxic stuff is under the You Yangs? Assume the pipes would be at the bottom of the DH runs in the large pit area.

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
Same day as the next VIC Enduro Series round....Bright!
....and? How many from Melbourne who usually ride Lysterfield on a weekly basis (and were going to come anyway) will this stop from coming? There was actually talk of a couple of days over this weekend, so anyone can come if they had any time.

As always no pressure for anyone to come, it's actually been great what is now happening and everyone including myself have been asking for.

Come down meet some new people, have some fun and next time you ride certain sections you'll know you helped build it.

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
2 days from LDTR is on "This will be held over 2 days Good Friday & Easter Saturday 22nd & 23rd of April."

So looks like pump track on the 9th and trail maintenance/building on 22nd and 23rd.

I should learn when Easter is.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
...also on the same token...

The LDTR AGM is on 4th of April 7:30pm at Trail Mix,

Please come along, even go for a position, a committee position is minimum 7 meeting a year! (we have meetings most months)

It would be great to get some new faces! LDTR is what ever the members/riders want it to be!!

so that would be the 4th, 9th, 22nd & 23rd (what have i got my self in too?)

serowe

Likes Dirt
....and? How many from Melbourne who usually ride Lysterfield on a weekly basis (and were going to come anyway) will this stop from coming? There was actually talk of a couple of days over this weekend, so anyone can come if they had any time.
Given also that the park is still closed and is advertised as remaining so for some time (my highlighting btw):

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=136

Park Closure Information

The only area of Lysterfield Park currently open is the Lake picnic area. Please note opening times have been changed to 10.00am to 5.00 pm.

Due to extensive storm damage many parts of the Lysterfield Park are considered dangerous. The only open access point into the park is the Horswood Road entrance. All other access points have been closed.

Parks Victoria expects to be able to re-open some additional areas of the park in time for the Easter holiday period 2011. See further details below in the Recovery Works section.

Current closures include:

All internal Mt Bike Trails, Pedestrian Trails, Equestrian Trails and Fire Management Tracks
Horsewood Road 24 hour car park
Hallam North Road 24 hour car park
By advertising this aren't you putting people in line to be fined for entering the Park? Easter isn't until the end of April - around the 24/25th.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
SE Rowe, This is through Lysterfield District Trail Riders, that have expressed permission/ partnership with PV....

This is a PV/LDTR activity!!!!

Last edited:

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
Given also that the park is still closed and is advertised as remaining so for some time (my highlighting btw):

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=136

By advertising this aren't you putting people in line to be fined for entering the Park? Easter isn't until the end of April - around the 24/25th.
PV hopefully are putting on the bbq again so think they'll ease off on the fines for trail building. Was there a point to this?

serowe

Likes Dirt
SE Rowe, This is through Lysterfield District Trail Riders, that have expressed permission/ partnership with PV....

This is all official PV/LDTR activity!!!!
With respect then - PV need to state this publically because, at this stage, the PV site states the park is closed except for the picnic area.

And whether it is through the Lysterfield District Trail Riders or Uncle Joes Fly By Night Sausage Factory, there is nothing I see that states they have any 'official' recognition by anyone....sorry.

Besides I still find it odd that a MTB club (any club) will schedule something like this on a day one of their own State Series events is on. Regardless of the audience it is aimed at.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
With respect then - PV need to state this publically because, at this stage, the PV site states the park is closed except for the picnic area.

And whether it is through the Lysterfield District Trail Riders or Uncle Joes Fly By Night Sausage Factory, there is nothing I see that states they have any 'official' recognition by anyone....sorry.

Besides I still find it odd that a MTB club (any club) will schedule something like this on a day one of their own State Series events is on. Regardless of the audience it is aimed at.
Why does PV have to state this? they have said they work work LDTR before? My phone number is on some of the signs out there put up by PV (saying "if you want to get involved with the trail building ring (my mobile)"...

It is incidental that it is the same day as a state round but, it is to coincide with a contractor...

If you would like to contact me, please PM me regarding any of these issues...

LDTR has organized approx 800 volunteer hours this year at Lysty, i'm sure this buys us slightly more rep, than a sausage factory!