Lysterfield track closures

serowe

Likes Dirt
I am merely pointing but that PV site clearly states the park is closed - it makes no mention of anyone being given dispensation for any type of work. I am not disputing you have worked with them, but given that fines are in place for people being in the park where they shouldn't be, it would surely be in your own best interest to have this clarified as it would only take one disgruntled park user to cause you some trouble.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
I am merely pointing but that PV site clearly states the park is closed - it makes no mention of anyone being given dispensation for any type of work. I am not disputing you have worked with them, but given that fines are in place for people being in the park where they shouldn't be, it would surely be in your own best interest to have this clarified as it would only take one disgruntled park user to cause you some trouble.
O.K Thanks...

The trail day is still on.... (the 9th of Arill)

There is 0% chance of you getting a fine volunteering with LDTR
We have great communication with PV.

Appreciate you concerns

Last edited:

serowe

Likes Dirt
ando_assi - I'm not going to say your post is wrong or right - but it is about time Parks Victoria also put these 'opening' notices on their own web site. As I said before about the trail day (and got jumped on), it does appear that statements are being made that don;t have the backing of PV. This is the current statement on the official PV site for Lysterfield Park at http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=136

Park Closure Information

The only area of Lysterfield Park currently open is the Lake picnic area. Please note opening times have been changed to 10.00am to 5.00 pm.

Due to extensive storm damage many parts of the Lysterfield Park are considered dangerous. The only open access point into the park is the Horswood Road entrance. All other access points have been closed.

Parks Victoria expects to be able to re-open some additional areas of the park in time for the Easter holiday period 2011. See further details below in the Recovery Works section.

Current closures include:

All internal Mt Bike Trails
, Pedestrian Trails, Equestrian Trails and Fire Management Tracks
Horsewood Road 24 hour car park
Hallam North Road 24 hour car park
So no - not trying to discredit what you are saying, but it really is about time PV and any organisation involved in the Park get together and co-ordinate their messages. Unfortunately, the bottom line is that PV is the final word.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
G'day Mate thanks for your question

To clarify any potential confusion LDTR was directed by the Head ranger at Lysterfield to make an announcement of newly opened trails.

I'm would expect PV will update this information on thier website shortly....

The red is the only track open....

Thanks again

Andrew Leslie
President LDTR

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Steve,

I'm just guessing but the ranger at Lysterfield may not have direct access to update his section of the parkweb.vic.gov.au website. He may be taking the easy way out as a simple email to Andrew gets the LDTR website updated whereas it possibly requires multiple government department forms submitted in triplicate with many weeks notice to get something posted to the .vic.gov.au website.

This doesn't make it right but if its close to the mark I'm happy for the ranger to spend his time working on the park rather than doing paperwork in order to get updates posted to the correct website.

It would also imply that in order to improve the situation, any constructive criticism should be directed to the state government who I'm sure will act swiftly once you bring this issue to their attention. ;)

I should emphasise this is a guess and someone should check before this line of thought goes much further.

ekul

Squid
Steve,

I'm just guessing but the ranger at Lysterfield may not have direct access to update his section of the parkweb.vic.gov.au website. He may be taking the easy way out as a simple email to Andrew gets the LDTR website updated whereas it possibly requires multiple government department forms submitted in triplicate with many weeks notice to get something posted to the .vic.gov.au website.

This doesn't make it right but if its close to the mark I'm happy for the ranger to spend his time working on the park rather than doing paperwork in order to get updates posted to the correct website.

It would also imply that in order to improve the situation, any constructive criticism should be directed to the state government who I'm sure will act swiftly once you bring this issue to their attention. ;)

I should emphasise this is a guess and someone should check before this line of thought goes much further.
The decision to reopen a small section of trail creating a loop was made approx. 5:00 pm on Friday. It was too late to make contact with the PV Website so to enable the use of these trails over the weekend contact was made with LDTR & Trailmix to get the word out. Happy to wait until the PV website is updated first into the future but to do this the trails would have been closed over the weekend.

serowe

Likes Dirt
I'm not disputing whether the trails should or shouldn't be open - given the 'announcement' was made here at 1:24 pm there should have been plenty of time to correct the PV web site (which still states the whole park, except for the picnic area, is closed!) From what you are saying then, the 'announcement' was made here before any official decision was made?

If what you say is correct, no decision made until 5pm, if the trails were to remain closed over the weekend - well, in the interest of the health of the park that should have happened - no decision should be made at 5pm on a Friday for any umber of reasons.

The bottom line, though, is that PV have the only say on what can and can't be done in the park. They are being paid to manage it, so they should be managing it.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
I'm not disputing whether the trails should or shouldn't be open - given the 'announcement' was made here at 1:24 pm there should have been plenty of time to correct the PV web site (which still states the whole park, except for the picnic area, is closed!) From what you are saying then, the 'announcement' was made here before any official decision was made?

If what you say is correct, no decision made until 5pm, if the trails were to remain closed over the weekend - well, in the interest of the health of the park that should have happened - no decision should be made at 5pm on a Friday for any umber of reasons.

The bottom line, though, is that PV have the only say on what can and can't be done in the park. They are being paid to manage it, so they should be managing it.
This website was updated at 1:24pm the next day it was updated on the LDTR website in the evening before.

Last edited:

bunchie34

Likes Dirt

And at 1:25pm on the PV Twitter account it announced the trail openings as an RT from Trailmix.

serowe

Likes Dirt
OK I read the date wrong :( - PV site still states the park is closed though! The point is that THEY are the managers of the park, they are paid to manage it (not the volunteers), adn nto everyone uses twitter! Mixed message hurt the park users and those trying to run a business within the park. So please, stop thinking I am shooting at the MTB club - I'm not - the 'professionals' need to geet their act together (a weekend is no excuse for not being able to update park informaiton for a venue that is open 7 days a week!)

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
OK I read the date wrong :( - PV site still states the park is closed though! The point is that THEY are the managers of the park, they are paid to manage it (not the volunteers), adn nto everyone uses twitter! Mixed message hurt the park users and those trying to run a business within the park. So please, stop thinking I am shooting at the MTB club - I'm not - the 'professionals' need to geet their act together (a weekend is no excuse for not being able to update park informaiton for a venue that is open 7 days a week!)
Maybe in this case RotorBurn is not the correct audience for your concerns, contact PV, TrailMix, LDTR or your Local Member of Parliament i think they will all be happy to talk to you about your concerns, I don't think you will get any answers on this forum (on this issue!) nor is it particularly constructive. (hense people think you are trying to "shoot at" the club)

Last edited:

ekul

Squid
Trailmix was informed that the trails would be inspected earlier in the day but no guarantee was made to open them. I think the twittering was premature

serowe

Likes Dirt
Maybe in this case RotorBurn is not the correct audience for your concerns, contact PV, TrailMix, LDTR or your Local Member of Parliament i think they will all be happy to talk to you about your concerns, I don't think you will get any answers on this forum (on this issue!) nor is it particularly constructive. (hense people think you are trying to "shoot at" the club)
I probably won't (get answers here) - but at the same time those sending out messages that say the trails are open need to be mindful that PV info doesn't back them up either. It reflects on them if PV turn around and say 'But our web site states the clear position' as they are quite likely to do. This was why I also questioned the trail day next weekend which still goes against all PV notices that all trails are closed.

Added - the posts are not meant to be in any form 'destructive' - the club is probably doing what they believe is the right thing - but PV moves at the speed of a snail. As for getting an MP involved - he already is over other PV issues and he is finding exactly the same as I am - they don;t give a toss about anyone outside their own department.

Last edited:

tangcla

Likes Dirt
Wow. How much bitching and moaning needs to go on about this topic? Maybe someone should call PV to confirm. Or ride with a print out of what LDTR said in case anyone is misinformed. It's not that hard people :rolleyes:

serowe

Likes Dirt
Thanks - I'll remember that advice next time I get caught driving above the speed limit - I'l ensure I have a post from someone on a forum that says I can do whatever speed I like! Like it or not it ain;t bitching - until PV clearly state some (any)trails are over, anyone using them risks being fined. Are you prepared to risk that?

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
It is a non issue... there is 0 risk!

I am in constant contact with PV...

I understand what serowe is saying but.... i'm not sure what he hopes to achieve?

tangcla

Likes Dirt
Totally out of context.

Why don't you call up PV and get a definitive answer then? It's really not that hard. The Internet isn't the only source of information, you know.