M785 rear calliper - where is the leak?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Interally run brake line, hence why when i bleed the brake the bike has to be vertical. When putting the bike down horizontal - gets squishy.
Just remove the caliper and drop it below the chain stay...you don't need heaps of displacmenet, just enough to change the angle and lower the bleed port.

Is your but/olive combo at the lever done up tight enough?

stirk

Burner
The negative pressure which draws the pistons back into the calliper when you release the lever wouldn't build up that quickly to suck lots of air in without also visibly leaking oil. :noidea:

If the air is near the bleed port I would think the same pressure would be on that pocket of air regardless of bike orientation, air in the calliper is air in the calliper.

images.jpg

The issue would seem to be at the cylinder end but is opposite to moorey's symptoms.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just remove the caliper and drop it below the chain stay...you don't need heaps of displacmenet, just enough to change the angle and lower the bleed port.

Is your but/olive combo at the lever done up tight enough?
Putting the bike vertical achieves the same thing though? And yes, the lever connection is nice and tight and not leaking, have checked this. Bubble is forming somewhere between where the hose comes around the bottom bracket and the calliper. It floats up to the highest point which is behind the pistons causing the squishy feel.

stirk

Burner
Put rubber bands tight around brake lever and grip to hold it nice and tight overnight, if air can get in this will force it out, wake up in the morning to a pool of fluid.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Put rubber bands tight around brake lever and grip to hold it nice and tight overnight, if air can get in this will force it out, wake up in the morning to a pool of fluid.
Nice and tight with a cable tie and clean every bit of liquid off the brakes.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Cable tie will lose pressure as it leaks, good strong rubberband looped tight will keep the pressure on all the way to the bar.
What ever tickles your fancy, If you lose pressure you should find a leak unless it by-passes at the handle.

stirk

Burner
Stretchy rubber ain't going to apply the pressure needed to push out oil if there's a tiny leak, possibly.
I've met some rubber rings which would squeeze a drop from a celebrate priest let alone a little oil from a brake system.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Solution has been found. Now know why the leak was so hard to find - there wasn't one!

I was doing a poor job of getting all the air out of the calliper apparently. Internally routed brake hose and the bleed port pointing down when bike is horizontal makes for patience required during the bleed, can be tricky to get rid of all the air......

Seems solid as a rock now. Cheers everyone.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
if they have a bleed port on the caliper (i dont use shimano junk, so i don't know) then try reverse bleeding them.

fill a syringe with fluid and push it from the caliper up to the lever end... i always get a nice solid bleed that way, and its the direction air wants to travel usually. i have had chain stay mounted brakes on a couple of bikes and never had air in the system.

stirk

Burner
if they have a bleed port on the caliper (i dont use shimano junk, so i don't know) then try reverse bleeding them.

fill a syringe with fluid and push it from the caliper up to the lever end... i always get a nice solid bleed that way, and its the direction air wants to travel usually. i have had chain stay mounted brakes on a couple of bikes and never had air in the system.
I wish Daiwa made cycling components.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

+1 to this; I use this method for all brakes, works a charm.