M785 rear calliper - where is the leak?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
if they have a bleed port on the caliper (i dont use shimano junk, so i don't know) then try reverse bleeding them.

fill a syringe with fluid and push it from the caliper up to the lever end... i always get a nice solid bleed that way, and its the direction air wants to travel usually. i have had chain stay mounted brakes on a couple of bikes and never had air in the system.
Any chance you can throw up a few pics of this process please? I have tried a few times and created a mess. Where as a traditional top down gravity bleed works just fine for me.

moorey

call me Mia
if they have a bleed port on the caliper (i dont use shimano junk, so i don't know) then try reverse bleeding them.

fill a syringe with fluid and push it from the caliper up to the lever end... i always get a nice solid bleed that way, and its the direction air wants to travel usually. i have had chain stay mounted brakes on a couple of bikes and never had air in the system.
Who in their right mind would do anything others than pushing up from the caliper to the lever? :nono:
We aren't working on cars here, people!

moorey

call me Mia
Any chance you can throw up a few pics of this process please? I have tried a few times and created a mess. Where as a traditional top down gravity bleed works just fine for me.
You know air rises, yeah? The air will rise up as you try to push the oil down.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You know air rises, yeah? The air will rise up as you try to push the oil down.
Yes I do. I'm well familiar with the concept, just never "pulled it off" myself. Well that's not entirely true. I can do it just fine with Avids, but who uses those anymore?

While we are on shimano brakes...what size spanner do I need for the bleed nipple on my xt caliper? As you can see by my pic, I currently use a cumbersome nutfucker and would like to use the right tool. The smallest spanner I have is too big. Should I go open or ring? Thanks.

IMG_20151001_002443.jpg

moorey

call me Mia
Yes I do. I'm well familiar with the concept, just never "pulled it off" myself. Well that's not entirely true. I can do it just fine with Avids, but who uses those anymore?

While we are on shimano brakes...what size spanner do I need for the bleed nipple on my xt caliper? As you can see by my pic, I currently use a cumbersome nutfucker and would like to use the right tool. The smallest spanner I have is too big. Should I go open or ring? Thanks.

View attachment 319539
You don't deserve shimano brakes. :rant:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You need a 7mm spanner.
Thanks D'meister. I assumed you had gone to bed and I would have to wait hours for the answer. Now to order one...

I've got another shimano question. With he Deore calipers, is it possible to replace the split pin with a bolt (like most other calipers run)?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have an older XT caliper with the right fittings if you want to swap yours out and test the rest of the system?

Poohdoodles do you have a tradetools or autbarn nearby? 7mm spanners be on the walls for sale.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
If you can find them, 6 point in smaller sizes is safer, less chance of rounding nuts.

I bought a full 6-19 mm 6 point ring and open set, love em.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
This is the brake before I reverse bled it.

This is after.

stirk

Burner
Thanks D'meister. I assumed you had gone to bed and I would have to wait hours for the answer. Now to order one...

I've got another shimano question. With he Deore calipers, is it possible to replace the split pin with a bolt (like most other calipers run)?
The split pin is lovely simplicity at its best, why mess with it?

teK--

Eats Squid

View attachment 319539
I use ring so u can put the spanner on connect bleed hose to nipple then it all stays in place so u aren't dropping tools in the middle of a bleed.

stirk

Burner
Because you can't easily remove and refit on trailside without pliers. And the pin evenly breaks at the bend due to metal fatigue.
Doesn't everyone carry pliers anyway?
Under what circumstances would someone decide to do some brake pad replacement track side? :noidea:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

I don't know about Deore. As for "most other calipers", only XT & XTR in the Shimano family have the bolt as standard. SLX have the thread for it, because they're the same calipers as XT, but are fitted with the pin.

moorey

call me Mia
You must carry a bleed kit in your backpack also I assume.

Who has ever changed pads mid ride? Show of hands.
The fuck? No bleed needed for a pad change! I always carry spare pads these days, and have changed them a couple of times mid ride. I had to ride 2 hours of a 3 hour race once, with metal on metal due to abrasive mud. You could learn from me.