Mac Questions Thread. I killed my Mac today....

top_dog

Likes Dirt
All my .avis are working fine in 10.6. I take it you've tried the latest Perian? (I'm on 1.1.4) I don't even have VLC installed as far as I know. Haven't tried Handbrake since upgrading however.

Everard

Likes Bikes
MAC questions with regard to GPS and POLAR

Hi guys, I am loving the new Garmin GPS with the virtual training partner.
My friend bought one and I am salivating over it. However I am a mac user and no shop can tell me whether there is an application that will allow me to use it! Does anyone know?

Also I have a POLAR RS800CX. The cycling version and loving that too. But I dont know of any software that allows me to chart heart rate graphs to see my fitness. Is there such an app?

Or do I have to bite the bullet and get VMWAREFUSION and convert part of my mac to a pc?

Software to use with Polar and Garmin

I know Polar doesn't provide an application to use in Mac OS, and from what i've heard the mac version of the Garmin software is very limited compared to the Windows version.

Before i got my polar HRM, i bought a program for the mac called Ascent. You can use it to import Polar .hrm files or direct sync with the garmin Edge's. Check it out here: http://www.montebellosoftware.com/

It's a pretty good product, i personally haven't used it for a while, as i just run ProTrainer in a Windows XP virtual machine on fusion, but might be worth a look.

Crowey

Likes Dirt
Sorry if this is a fair stupid question, new to macs.:p

I have a Canon 400d, and when I hook it up it doesn't seem to show anywhere that the camera hooks up. Look in finder, devices, even searched Canon, but nothing comes up. It will show on a PC using the same cable and everything.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
OK crazed mac fanboys, push me over the edge.

I'm looking at notebooks for Uni next year (mechanical engineering), and am strongly attracted to Macbook Pros. I record a lot of music, but have a setup that will work on PC or Mac, so garageband may be nice and all, but it's not necessary.

What I'm interested in are price, stability and battery life, essentially. I don't play games on PCs. I don't want the system to slow down the longer I'm using it without having to clean the drive. I use photoshop as well.

I'm also slightly concerned about compatibility. In the situation we may get a required application that isn't available for Mac. I'll guess that's not a big issue though.

So, convince me. Otherwise, what's a similarly priced alternative? Budget is about $1800

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Price - mac's seem more expensive at first but they certainly last forever...I have 6 year old powerbook G4 still going strong
Batteries - Yeah, each to their own, but I dont think there is that much of a difference between PC and Mac equivalents unless you are getting a higher model
Stability - Is F'ing awesome
Compatibility - Install bootcamp

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a Canon 400d, and when I hook it up it doesn't seem to show anywhere that the camera hooks up. Look in finder, devices, even searched Canon, but nothing comes up. It will show on a PC using the same cable and everything.
Does it show up in Image Capture?

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I owe McBain 1 beer. Now, just wait almost 2 years, and that's if they don't change the age! Thanks heaps for that mates, I needed to search for it as well :p
Your camera should also show up in iPhoto. I've not come across a camera that doesn't. It's one of the good things about iPhoto I find, it's compatibility with pretty much every camera without needing to install software like PC's.

And to LJohn, 3viltoast3r has your answer pinned. You pay a bit more but you are really buying a laptop that will last for more than 5 years. I have countless friends running old Apple dinosaurs and the bloody things are just as quick as the day they were bought. Apple's operating system and applications all have regular software updates that don't require more memory/space than the former and thus you keep up to date with the latest software without needing new hardware to run it!

On to the battery life, I have a MacBook that I bought last year and the battery life hasn't changed in that time. You can play around with the power consumption settings and get it running for quite a long time. At full recharge with my screen at middle brightness I get 4 hours plus of solid work on it.

I go out of my way to get as much stuff running at the same time and the bloody thing never seems to slow down. They also don't have a 'defrag' ability....which can only mean one thing.

And as 3viltoast3r said you can chuck bootcamp on and the compatibility problem is solved.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crowey said:
I owe McBain 1 beer.
No worries - I suggested that as a starting point. If Image Capture couldn't see it, then we'd need to find some big guns!
I go out of my way to get as much stuff running at the same time and the bloody thing never seems to slow down.
Well, it does happen if you are really hammering it - there is only a finite amount of processor grunt and RAM for it to play with, but it does pretty well.
They also don't have a 'defrag' ability....which can only mean one thing.
I don't have much day to day experience with Windows systems (haven't since the mid 90s), but fragmented files or file layout isn't an issue with HFS, the file system that OS X uses (same holds for any other sufficiently sensible file system design).

grundy

Likes Dirt
I just bought a portable hard drive, and it will only work on macs. It wont even show up on any pc's... could somebody please help me out

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just bought a portable hard drive, and it will only work on macs. It wont even show up on any pc's... could somebody please help me out
I have the exact same problem it's a little Lacie number, you have to section the hardrive so that their is a section solely for windows,

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Went and checked out the new iMac's today. 27" screen is fucking banger! I think I know the new toy i'll be wanting for birthday/christmas this year!

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went and checked out the new iMac's today. 27" screen is fucking banger! I think I know the new toy i'll be wanting for birthday/christmas this year!
Macbook Pro coming at chrissy for me.. depending on a few jobs :rolleyes:

New iMac's are sweet. Please get one to make me jealous.

houli77

Likes Dirt
Format it to: MS-DOS (FAT32)

Then its compatible with both.
Just watch it if you have to use large file sizes. fat32 drives are limited to individual files being no larger than 4GB.

there are plenty of programs which will split files for you etc if you need to get around this but if you try to transfer a file bigger than 4GB it doesn't give you a clear error or anything. took me a while to work it out. rather frustrating.

mountain_bike man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Having trouble with the airport picking up my router, its in range and works with another computer. Any ideas on whats going wrong, what to do?
Cheers guys.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Am now typing this on my spankin new Macbook Pro 13". This thing is unbelievably tidy. Love it. It just reeks of quality and design. Big standout is the multi touch pad. So intuitive.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Am now typing this on my spankin new Macbook Pro 13". This thing is unbelievably tidy. Love it. It just reeks of quality and design. Big standout is the multi touch pad. So intuitive.
Nice one LJohn. Are you using it as a mini recording studio?