Mac Questions Thread. I killed my Mac today....

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the help 3vil! Everything going great, except I can't find the default username and password. The back of the hardware says admin for both, but they're not working, so I might hit up a local tech and see if he can help us out.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
I've got my Sandy Bridge Hackintosh running stable with 10.6.8. On a uni student budget (sub $600).

Dual-hard drives with W7 and Snow Leopard.

Fantastic machine. Given the standard of new technology and great intel support, I think this was a great way to go. Although it would be well worth going for a Mac Pro if finances are available.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Hey peeps,

I have a bunch of jpgs/gifs/etc that I've saved from the net (art, riding, cool pics, etc) that I'd like to make a slide show out of.

Is there any way I can do this on a mac without DLing a separate prog and if not can anyone recommend a good, free prog that I could use?

Cheerio!

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey peeps,

I have a bunch of jpgs/gifs/etc that I've saved from the net (art, riding, cool pics, etc) that I'd like to make a slide show out of.

Is there any way I can do this on a mac without DLing a separate prog and if not can anyone recommend a good, free prog that I could use?

Cheerio!
Select them all, press space bar, then press play.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
How on earth would I be able to simply pull that out of my arse?!

I tried using preview (as the old Windows used to go) and couldn't make that work.

indica

Serial flasher
How on earth would I be able to simply pull that out of my arse?!

I tried using preview (as the old Windows used to go) and couldn't make that work.
Derr, it's a mac, play with it.....

BTW I have moved in from my G5, I have an i5 running Linux Mint and it is easily as good and it is free and runs on a $600 computer.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Asking people who know the answer is a faster and more rational way resolving a problem.

I could still be here playing with it but I'm not, I'm using it.

I believe my method of problem solving to be superior to your own.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
No, mine is.
I bought a cheap PC and run Linux.
Nope, mine is.
Work pays for my computing needs, Farkin answers my questions.
Free equipment- rapid tech support.

You were saying that you pay for your own kit and take time to try and nut meaningless problems out yourself, right?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
China, actually.

Felt I wasn't getting enough clenbuterol, melamine or fake medicine in my diet.

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
hey guys, question for you, got a new macbook air, with lion installed, got 2 external hard drives to do my time machine backups, one of them when i plug it in turns up in the finder no worries, my other hard drive, after the first time machine backup now no longer will show up anywhere on my mac, and if i click backup now, comp says cant find drive, its a western digital, and is a few wks old, when i plug it in to the computer the green light flashes and you can hear the drive spin up, it just wont show anywhere/the computer cant see it, anywhere on mac to force show it or anything like that?
cheers
matt

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys, question for you, got a new macbook air, with lion installed, got 2 external hard drives to do my time machine backups, one of them when i plug it in turns up in the finder no worries, my other hard drive, after the first time machine backup now no longer will show up anywhere on my mac, and if i click backup now, comp says cant find drive, its a western digital, and is a few wks old, when i plug it in to the computer the green light flashes and you can hear the drive spin up, it just wont show anywhere/the computer cant see it, anywhere on mac to force show it or anything like that?
cheers
matt
Are these 2 unpowered hard drives? Try as suggested but it could be a power issue - Mac's are alot stricter in how much current they supply to USB devices. If it is either try using firewire (If possible) or a Powered USB hub

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
Go to applications/utilities and open disk utility. Does it show up in there?
hey jayjay yeah it shows up in disk utility, i repaired it, said nothing to repair
its a seagate drive not western dig, and its not powered, only usb into mac, worked fine for first time machine backup now comp cant see it

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Happened to a WD drive on mine. Both my win-doze and SL installations had tried to do the initial formatting and the ensuing argument betweens OS's ended in the same way that many Mac vs Windows arguments do, they don't. So I reformatted, partitioned half to Fat32 and half to Mac OS and it's been good ever since. Windows can't read the MacOS partition though.

So my suggestion, reformat using disc utility.