Mac Questions Thread. I killed my Mac today....

indica

Serial flasher
What the hell.

This thing (Macbook, fairly new, 2.4gig processor, 160gig HDD with 64gig free) is running pretty slowly recently.

Opening new tabs of Farkin causes a pause, it just freezes up for that second. This is with just Safari running, maybe MSN messenger as well.

Office is installed but not running.

Could I have picked up some Spyware/Adware? Do these still affect Macs? I know the whole virus thing is a bit different, but unsure about the spyware side of things.

Grrrr.
Sometimes my G5 slows down.
Close all programs and go to force quit and relaunch finder, this should help.
I have not had any adware/spyware on mine and I have had it connected to the internet for nearly a year constantly.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's basically no adware/spyware on Macs - just doesn't happen because of the way the OS runs (in short).
If your Mac's running slow, get yourself MainMenu from www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com
Run all the maintenance stuff, including emptying the browser caches.
Restart the Mac and hold down the 'command-option-P-R' keys (command has the Apple logo on it).
Keep the keys held down, listen for the chime, continue to keep the keys held down and let the chime go 3 times. You just zapped the PRAM (parameter RAM).
That's a general cleanup and should fix a bag of problems.

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
a free video converter that can change it from dvd's or avi to ipod format. tried handbrake and fmmggt (<something like that)

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
I always turn it off when not in use, I boot and shut down quite often.

Is this a no-no?

top_dog

Likes Dirt
I always turn it off when not in use, I boot and shut down quite often.

Is this a no-no?
Not really, the OS runs daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts (clearing caches etc) at about 4am, so you would be missing out on the maintenance. When I first ran the scripts they hadn't been done for over a year because I always turn mine off as well.

To check when they were last run type this into the terminal:

PHP:
ls -al /var/log/*.out
If they were last run more than a month ago it could be your problem.

To actually run the scripts use:

PHP:
sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
See http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html for more info.

Last edited:

mountain_bike man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lame question, I know; cheapest way to get an ipod charger? Thanks. :)
Buy a USB charger from dick smith and insert the stock cable you got with the ipod into that which charges your ipod. I think they are about $20 bucks.

For transfering videos so they work on a mac,
i use isquint and it works great.

clockworked

Like an orange
OK anyone got a Sony Ericcson? If so, what programs do you use to sync with your Mac?

easylistening is pretty good for transferring music with itunes - thats what i use. i have a little patch for contacts and stuff too - but i use it so little i forget what its called off the top of my head

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Yeah I've got a Nokia 6330 and the software won't load to Mac, how can I get all my contacts off the phone and backup to HDD on the laptop?

Downloaded Mainmenu. Cleared broswer cache, and ran all maintenance scripts. Safari problem is now worse, longer pause when opening new tab before any more functions can be performed. I open all the threads in a new tab from the main forum page, and I can mouse to the next thread, doublefingerclick, and it has to wait before the menu will appear, can't scroll etc. All inputs then happen very quickly once the pause is over. It's like using an oldschool computer with low memory.

What exactly should I run in Mainmenu? Everything I can get my hands on, or what? Should I be clearing everything I can? Don't know exact functions of some operations... or many at all really.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This didn't need a new thread, but i thought i'd let you Mac lovers know:

"After dumping its $10 million contract with Jerry Seinfeld after just three ads (only two of which even aired) Microsoft has created new ad copy where regular people and a few celebrities say, “I’m a PC!” One problem with the campaign’s credibility: the ad work was created using Macs."

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Hi there, I'm having some dramas with my Mac at the moment.

I'm currently running Safari (latest version) for web browsing. I have noticed today that for some reason I cant load Vimeo webpage at all to watch videos. I loaded once but it took ages and didn't display properly.

Before this it was running fine and I could view it with the same ease as all other websites. I have flip4mac and silverlight installed, I also cleared my cache and updated Safari. No joy so far.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm a bit of a noob with Mac stuff. Any help would be appreciated.:)

Last edited:

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Question about Time machine.

Recently my HDD crashed for reasons unknown, and I backed up all my stuff the night before fortunately, How do i get everything back on the way it all was before?

GrooveJet

Likes Bikes
Question about external hard drives.

Just wanted to know if there are any particular brands that work well with mac & any to avoid? :confused:

For use on a 4yr old imac and just wanting to put a crap load of photos on it.

Any suggestions would be good.
Thanks

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Question about external hard drives.

Just wanted to know if there are any particular brands that work well with mac & any to avoid? :confused:

For use on a 4yr old imac and just wanting to put a crap load of photos on it.

Any suggestions would be good.
Thanks
Im looking around at the moment too, i hear that some come with alot of formating so they say they are 300G but they are actually 290or what ever, but im not sure. Also, if you can get a cheap one with a fire wire cable instead of USB cause its faster and wont clog your usb drives up.
Ill prob go for the cheapest option i can.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
seems like the sort of thing that would either already have been asked or be deadly obvious but a search revealed nothing so...

using the stock software on OSX am i able to resize photos for uploading like i can using paint with windows?

first mac, so far i love it, just can't figure this one out :eek: