Magic cures for fast healing?

Beej1

..although frequently they still get their water drops from the naturopath so when their cancer in cured by the surgery and or chemo, they can tell all their friends it was the naturopath that cued them - that scientific stuff just made them feel worse.
I totally agree with this. And my wife is a naturopath too. But thankfully she's pretty grounded and realises you can't cure cancer with herbal remedies or uber-dialted poison in water. Having said that, a combination of herbal remedies, dietary advice & supplements helped a close friend of ours through pretty severe chemo. Compared to others on identical chemo she was leaps and bounds more resilient. Obviously, every body is different, but I'll stand by her treatment having some effect.

Apparently the Windsors are right into their homoeopathy ... it's pretty popular in the UK. If nothing else, I often wonder if the legitimate stories of people who have beaten cancer with NOTHING but homoeopathics and/or traditional chinese medicine are cases where the body has done the work on it's own - same way it heals a scabbed knee. But I'm pretty sure I'm 100% wrong on that.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Fair enough, the logic leaves something to be desired,
Well, I wasn't explicitly making a connection between wounds in the mouth and external wounds. I was just suggesting you all think about it.., because it's um...., like fun.., and stuff. :yield: :bolt:

poita

Likes Dirt
It's not so great though. Unless you get the organic one it has a petroleum base which isn't so great to put on open wounds.
Lots of well regarded wound dressings contain petrolatum, the generic name being vasgauze or something similar. Xeroform, jelonet are a couple off the top of my head.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

Apparently the Windsors are right into their homoeopathy ... it's pretty popular in the UK. If nothing else, I often wonder if the legitimate stories of people who have beaten cancer with NOTHING but homoeopathics and/or traditional chinese medicine are cases where the body has done the work on it's own - same way it heals a scabbed knee. But I'm pretty sure I'm 100% wrong on that.
Patients with almost any disease taking placebo do better than those without. Unfortunately, there are some ethical issues with giving a patient something they think is medicine when it is not - things like homeopathy fill that void. As they say an alternative therapy with evidence is called medicine.

Interesting little tidbit on placebo - some studies have shown than even having knowledge that the therapy is placebo still has an effect - it's the intervention and care that creates it, so choose a therapist with a nice bed side manner ( strange but true)

John U

MTB Precision
Well, I wasn't explicitly making a connection between wounds in the mouth and external wounds. I was just suggesting you all think about it.., because it's um...., like fun.., and stuff. :yield: :bolt:
I think the saliva on your mouth probably contributes to the healing process there as well. I believe saliva is some pretty magic shit. Winging it here but I think it helps clotting, it's antiseptic, and it might ever numb the pain. In the natural world there's good reason for licking your wounds (if you can reach them).

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Makes sense as that is how the body does things. Funny how the bodies natural response to things tend to be the correct way until some researcher at a uni decides to come up with another way to keep their job OR a company convinces us otherwise.
As researcher working at univeristy, this attitude cracks me up :pound:

The body generally cant heal its self in a timely manner without medical intervention, hence why people seek medical / pharmalogical help.

Also if we can prove something, especially if it's different from current approaches or thinking, we will be publishing it, this is what medical science research is all about. You probably dont also realise that a high impact medical journal would be very happy to publish this as long as the science is robust, both the authors and journal get more citations... and the average person gets a better treatment outcome.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As researcher working at univeristy, this attitude cracks me up :pound:

The body generally cant heal its self in a timely manner without medical intervention, hence why people seek medical / pharmalogical help.

Also if we can prove something, especially if it's different from current approaches or thinking, we will be publishing it, this is what medical science research is all about. You probably dont also realise that a high impact medical journal would be very happy to publish this as long as the science is robust, both the authors and journal get more citations... and the average person gets a better treatment outcome.
It can't? I just cut myself. Better go spend $ on shit I don't need because big pharma says so rather than just letting it heal which I know it will.
I don't work at a uni though so what do I know.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
It can't? I just cut myself. Better go spend $ on shit I don't need because big pharma says so rather than just letting it heal which I know it will.
I don't work at a uni though so what do I know.
Next time your heart carks it, or your septicaemia needs fixing, or pretty much anything else, just let your body fix it. You know, big pharma and all that...

Don't be so obtuse!

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A blanket statement deserved one back. I've gotta go ride my bike rather than argue on an Internet forum.

clockworked

Like an orange
I think the saliva on your mouth probably contributes to the healing process there as well. I believe saliva is some pretty magic shit. Winging it here but I think it helps clotting, it's antiseptic, and it might ever numb the pain. In the natural world there's good reason for licking your wounds (if you can reach them).
Saliva is nice, but its not that good. It maintains an even ph and caries immunoglobulin G (which both contribute to minimising bacterial growth), but it doesn't prevent clotting or numb pain. If it did i could save a lot on tranexamic acid and lignocaine..
The good reason is usually that it clears the wound of debris and hopefully bacteria mechanically.
That being said, despite what i've rote learned at uni I always wipe spit on my fresh cuts.. it seems to help.

John U

MTB Precision
Saliva is nice, but its not that good. It maintains an even ph and caries immunoglobulin G (which both contribute to minimising bacterial growth), but it doesn't prevent clotting or numb pain. If it did i could save a lot on tranexamic acid and lignocaine..
The good reason is usually that it clears the wound of debris and hopefully bacteria mechanically.
That being said, despite what i've rote learned at uni I always wipe spit on my fresh cuts.. it seems to help.
Excellent. So there is some evidence.

As previously mentioned in this thread I'm a diabetic so I do at least a couple of blood tests and 4 injections every day. Way back when I was diagnosed there were alcohol swabs and cotton buds to clean any excess blood up. Do to practical reasons I just started sucking the blood off my fingers after a blood test and this method cleans it up nicely. It doesn't always stop the blood flow but I am sure it has an impact some times.

It's a good backup if you're out in the bush and have nothing to clean up a wound.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
A blanket statement deserved one back. I've gotta go ride my bike rather than argue on an Internet forum.
lol, love your strategy:

Say something unfounded and just a touch silly, back it up with something overly simplistic and refuse any further discussion on the matter by claiming those refuting the silliness are petty and argumentative.

You should consider a career in politics.

PS, I especially love the "I don't work at a uni so what would I know", line as if 'common sense' beats every other form of knowledge. Gold, just gold!

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A hydrocolloid dressing (like comfeel) with a bit of flexible adhesive (like hypafix) over the top is like jelonet on steroids. Leave it on for a few days. Stinks like an armpit. Peel off and wash and presto, no gravel rash, just fresh pink skin. I know this from countless experiments (on myself, not pigs) and having ready access to hospital supplies.