Mail forwarding purchased goods from the USA

m_g

Likes Dirt
Hi all,
Just a few questions on mail forwarding:

1. Has anyone used a mail forwarder (eg shipitto) to purchase stuff (specifically a complete bike) in the States?
2. Can you recommend a company?
3. If an online store (eg Jenson) says they are not allowed to ship to Australia, and you use a mail forwarder, are you breaking a customs law/is the bike likely to be let into the country?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

mg

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
just used shipito with a set of skis and bags and stuff... REI wouldnt post k2 skis into Australia but it seems to have been fine. the website is a bit shit but its self explanatory and they are prompt with their customer service.

m_g

Likes Dirt
just used shipito with a set of skis and bags and stuff... REI wouldnt post k2 skis into Australia but it seems to have been fine. the website is a bit shit but its self explanatory and they are prompt with their customer service.
ok cool, so you've received the gear? Were there any extra fees eg customs, GST? How long did it take?

cheers
mg

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The notice on some sites about them not being able to ship products outside of the US (eg Fox) would be an agreement between the manufacturer and the retailer (which criteria you've satisfied by providing a US address) - would have nothing to do with customs or their laws, nor would they even be aware of this.
In fact, seeing as you would be paying hefty tax/duty on a complete bike I'm sure they'd be more than happy to let it through customs. :)

m_g

Likes Dirt
In fact, seeing as you would be paying hefty tax/duty on a complete bike I'm sure they'd be more than happy to let it through customs. :)
You sure about that? I was under the impression there was minimal duty on bikes. Interested in what your experience has been. This one shouldn't be subject to GST as it is under $1500

DW-1

Dirt Works
You sure about that? I was under the impression there was minimal duty on bikes. Interested in what your experience has been. This one shouldn't be subject to GST as it is under $1500
gst kicks in at $1,000

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
gst kicks in at $1,000
It does indeed. I haven't checked with the customs site recently but I don't think it's changed (someone may want to correct me on this).
10% of item cost is the GST payable (if over $1k)
5% of total (item and postage cost) is the customs duty payable (if over $1k).

Eg $1500 bike + $200 freight

$150 GST
$85 Duty
= $235

Last edited:

rone

Eats Squid
Quoted from the shipping info on the JensonUSA website: "Due to manufacturer restrictions, some items cannot be shipped outside the United States. You will be notified at checkout if there are any restrictions, based on the delivery address you enter. We can still accept your foreign credit card and ship these items to a USA address for you."

Reading between the lines I think the implication is obvious.

m_g

Likes Dirt
It does indeed. I haven't checked with the customs site recently but I don't think it's changed (someone may want to correct me on this).
10% of item cost is the GST payable (if over $1k)
5% of total (item and postage cost) is the customs duty payable (if over $1k).

Eg $1500 bike + $200 freight

$150 GST
$85 Duty
= $235
doh! I thought cut off was $1500...nevermind...thats still not too bad
thanks for the advice

and rone, I think you're right, their wording is a little obvious!

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quoted from the shipping info on the JensonUSA website: "Due to manufacturer restrictions, some items cannot be shipped outside the United States. You will be notified at checkout if there are any restrictions, based on the delivery address you enter. We can still accept your foreign credit card and ship these items to a USA address for you."

Reading between the lines I think the implication is obvious.
Wow. Didn't expect that. For sure they'd know it exists, but didn't think they'd encourage it... though above it right to, the shipping restriction is a limitation between manufacturer/distributor and retailer, not retailer and customer

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh I did the same, used Shipito to post K2 skis, bags and Poles here. Their shipping rates are really good, I'd definitely recommend.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
I have used hopshopgo.com twice now, one time was an consolidated order from 3 seperate online stores.

super easy to deal with, (especialy if its one of their listed stores). fairly cheap, they charge like 25 bucks for first .5kg, then 3 bucks for every kg after that or something, on a bike box could be quite expensive, but if the store offers free freight within the US, it works out well!

had snowboard, jacket goggles and gloves shipped for 90aud. (which includes hopshopgo's fee's.)