Mail order frame arrived damaged. Repair or replace?

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
I got an Azonic AZ7 by mail order.

Upon opening the package I was greeted with the delight shown in the photos. :mmph: I don't think it happened in transit as the box wasn't damaged.

Now they are trying to convince me to take a discount and repair the frame myself. The headtube is no longer quite round, and there is a crack as seen in photos.

I think I should be given a replacement!
What say you?

IMG_0911.jpg
IMG_0910.jpg

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
definately asking for a replacement
you ordered a frame, not a damaged/cracked frame
+1
However you cant blame them for asking if you will take a discount and fix yourself - dont ask dont get.
I would suggest you take the softly softly approach until they start putting up barriers to a refund/replacement

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep they should refund or replace.

Take some pics of the box it came in just in case they want to blame shipping.
Even if the plane/ truck would have had to crash to get that crack...

I am sure you will get it sorted. Most people do the right thing these days IMO.

ashl

Likes Bikes
that's not going to affect the integrity of the frame - surely you would just file off the edge (so that you can instal the head set so that it makes contact with the head tube).

there are people going hungry - a teeny ding in a frame doesn't seem like that big a deal - and its a mountain bike after all.

ashl

Likes Bikes
I withdraw my comment - didn't see the crack - definitely return....forget about the people going hungry..

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Crack

Are you sure its a crack, Looks like a score mark as the top view does not show any penetration.

The out of round (Slight) will get sorted with the head set cups and a fine file will clean up any burring.

I would doubt the strength to be compromised.

Depends on the discount, Money saved can be used on other parts of the bike.

Minlak

custom titis
I hate getting things that i ahve bought that are not 100% perfect however this looks more like a chip than a crack and nothing that would effect structuality <---- woot new word .... So for me it would depend on how much discount we are talking if its $20 nah get a new 1 if its 100 bucks well thats a different story ......

driftking

Wheel size expert
If that is a crack than Replaced with new frame straight up. No question.

Although what they offer is possible and I wouldnt say a bad option I would still want a new frame with zero damage, we spend our money on these things, they should come in 100% good condition unless stated otherwise. It is really upto you but for me personally I want a frame with zero damage when i get on it if i buy it new.
Some may call it been a tight arse but if im paying for it I want it to be new with no worries. How do you know there are not other structual issue's that you cannot see within other areas of the Headtube.

M2C

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
They put an aged red cattle dog cross in a box and sent it to you... I think that's a reportable offence..... Oh and the damaged bike..... send it back and ask for a replacement. It's their responsibility to pack appropriately and if they did - 'they' must make a claim against the courier.....

dunndog

Eats Squid
Replacement. What happens one day when you bust up the head tube, are they going to refuse warranty because you accepted a reduced cost damaged frame? Because that's what it is. You want a new frame in perfect condition, thats what you expect to get.

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
The seller wants me to ship the frame back and will send out a replacement. Understandable but the size exceeds Australia Post restrictions.

Not looking like this is going to end well.

I wonder if it even possible to repair the frame since the headtube is no longer round and the headset cup wont fit? There is definitely a crack but it doesn't appear to be very deep.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Replacement. What happens one day when you bust up the head tube, are they going to refuse warranty because you accepted a reduced cost damaged frame? Because that's what it is. You want a new frame in perfect condition, thats what you expect to get.
This pretty much sums it up. Get it replaced!!

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
I wonder if it even possible to repair the frame since the headtube is no longer round and the headset cup wont fit? There is definitely a crack but it doesn't appear to be very deep.
Can definitely be repaired and will be stronger than original... BUT.... it wont BE original so it depends on what you want.

shakes

Likes Dirt
The seller wants me to ship the frame back and will send out a replacement. Understandable but the size exceeds Australia Post restrictions.

Not looking like this is going to end well.

with movement/streses the crack will grow.

auspost used to let you post bigger stuff, you just have to pay them a little extra. May have changed?

And make sure the seller pays for return postage....

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Obviously have them replace it, as everybody has said.

If they don't want to foot the return freight charges then that shouldn't be your problem. If they have no interest in selling the frame on, then (with their permission) simply hacksaw out that section of headtube and send that section of frame back to them in a padded bag to prove that it is fucked and that you're not riding around on two of their frames.

We were instructed to do the same thing at work with two shiny new carbon QROO TT frames because of a manufacturing fault in the cable routing sock. They wanted the same assurance, plus the serial number under the bottom bracket. So we sent them the whole BB back with the sock fault in it and the number brazed in the frame. Cost crap all for the wholsaler in warranty freight. Everybody got what they wanted.

Brutal solution but it's a wasteful real world answer to such a problem.