Maintaining trueness

Hi Gang,

Any tip on keeping wheels trued, mainly the the rear one? I've seen the cush core and huck norris manage to prevent pinch flats, rim strikes etc. Does increasing tire pressure help? Wider rims? I've had my Stan's Arch Mk3 for over a year. They're 26mm ID and I honestly I can't fault them until recently after getting trued, it's now a bit wobbly. Not completely off but you know annoyingly wobbly when you spin it. Maybe time for an upgrade to larger rim in the rear if it's going to help.

teK--

Eats Squid
are you sure it's not the tyre that's wobby? I have had 2 Maxxis tyres recently do that.

Check spoke tension, nds may have just loosened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm waiting for cycingdeal to restock their more affordable spoke tension meter. Don't know if my LBS trued it to be perfectly straight only without the tension meter, but I'll give it crack to see if I can straighten it out a bit.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Put a tension meter on and get them as true as you can. You’re never going to get them perect. Constant forces are going through your spokes every which way and some spokes are bound to lose tension. Other option is to only ride fire trails!

Put a tension meter on and get them as true as you can. You’re never going to get them perect. Constant forces are going through your spokes every which way and some spokes are bound to lose tension. Other option is to only ride fire trails!
Was wondering can you true the wheel without a tension meter? The wheel can be straight but not enough tension right?

You got it trued and now it’s worse?
I had the wheel trued at my LBS, made sure it was good back home. Went on a ride without many rock gardens and it's already out of true. So just trying to find out a better way to maintain the wheels trueness. Now others may suggest the spoke tension can be off. Won't know until I get a hold of those meters.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was wondering can you true the wheel without a tension meter? The wheel can be straight but not enough tension right?

Yes that’s right. The thing is that the spoke tension specs on the Stans website are without a tyre. When you mount a tyre and pressurise it, the tension will drop significantly.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Take it back to the shop and get it redone as clearly the work is flawed.
Agree. Truing wheels is a skill that is worth DIY. It is only a matter of time till you need to do it. Or ride firetrails :)

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

redbruce

Eats Squid
I had the wheel trued at my LBS, made sure it was good back home. Went on a ride without many rock gardens and it's already out of true. So just trying to find out a better way to maintain the wheels trueness. Now others may suggest the spoke tension can be off. Won't know until I get a hold of those meters.

That definitely sounds like a tension issue.

Thing to remember is equal and adequate spoke tension (within a side) is critical. That may come at the cost of (ie more important than) trueness.

If rim is ok both will be result.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Pedallings not the issue, its sharp impacts........ So I can climb till my lungs give out but can’t bomb back down :mad: one day though