Make it Reign: 2015 Giant Reign & Anthem SX

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Backtrack to February 2014 and I decided it was time to upgrade to something more modern, as I was still riding around an old school 26er 2008 Giant Anthem. I ended up buying a 27.5"/650b Giant Anthem 1 and made a few minor modifications (KS Integra dropper, Answer Protaper carbon bars, Syntace stem, Stans Arch EX/Hope Pro 2 Evo wheelset, Schwalbe Hans Dampf/Rock Razor tyres, Works NW chainring and ESI grips). In my opinion, this is still one of the best colour schemes released of late:

17097949940_5550c04fdf_b.jpg

In June, I found myself wanting to ride burlier terrain so I shopped around and ended up buying an ex-demo 2014 Giant Trance Advanced 2 from The Bike Shed Mortdale (TBSM). Again, more modifications; this time I ended up changing the entire drivetrain/brakes to Shimano Zee (from SRAM), transferred the wheels and dropper across, upgraded Fox 34 TALAS factory and Float CTD factory remote (best upgrade ever), Giant Contact AM stem and RaceFace SIXC carbon bars to make it equivalent to Trance SX spec. This created the perfect "do-it-all" bike for me; I rode everywhere between Newcastle and Thredbo and raced everything from 50km epic's to gnarly DH runs. I swore to myself that I'd never sell it...

16461359856_749f2f6774_b.jpg

Until I collapsed my lung at a social enduro day at Del Rio in February this year. A week in hospital gave me a lot of time to think and I ended up selling my Trance. The intent was to go back to an XC bike so that I could still ride with my mates but I was less inclined to do silly things and risk hospitalisation again. I ended up buying a 2015 Giant Anthem 2 and again made a few minor modifications to make it equivalent to SX spec(highlighted in red);

Frame - 2015 Giant Anthem 27.2 2 (Large)
Rear shock - RockShox Monarch RL
Front shock/fork - RockShox Reba 120mm travel shaft and RLC damper upgrade
Handlebars - Giant Connect 730mm
Stem - PRO FRS 70mm
Saddle - Giant Contact
Seatpost - Giant Contact SL Switch-R
Brakes - Shimano Deore with 7/6" SLX rotors
Cranks - Shimano SLX with Wolftooth 30T NW chainring
Chain - KMC X10 SL
Pedals - Shimano M520
Rear derailleur - Shimano SLX
Rear shifter - Shimano Saint
Cassette - Shimano HG50 11-36
Wheelset - TWE All Mountain Wheelset (21mm internal/26mm external 1610g)
Tyres - Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph 2.25", Liteskin
Tubes - 3M 8898 tubeless tape, TWE valves and Stans NoTubes sealant
Total weight - 12.18kg (stock 12.65kg)

17065179508_3648226a55_b.jpg

As I was still recovering from my collapsed lung, I did not get to ride the Anthem until mid March. The first ride back was the new sections of Manly Dam, which was an interesting experience; getting used to a short travel bike and falling off several times in the process. I started a new job working in Camden and moved to Liverpool, I decided that this would be a perfect bike for the likes of Mount Annan and Wylde.

I was quite content with just owning the Anthem but received a phone call shortly after starting the new job from TBSM. They told me to come in to speak about a new 2015 Giant Reign (I had expressed interest earlier in the year). I went in the next day and walked out with a 2015 Giant Reign 2 due to being offered a price that I simply could not refuse (thanks guys!), so my plans for taking it easy have since gone out the window. I took it down to Mt Kiera for the maiden ride and absolutely fell in love with it; despite it raining and conditions being muddy and slippery. In hindsight, the conditions I rode in are identical to that shown in the "MAKE IT REIGN: The Inspiration Behind Giant's All-New Reign 27.5" video released by RideGiantBicycles advertising the same bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYJCorumXfM

Since purchasing the Reign, I have unfortunately neglected the Anthem but plan on doing a few XC laps now before the weather turns sour again. I had intended on riding the Social day at Ourimbah yesterday and am also hoping that the Gravity Enduro race still goes ahead next Sunday but with the upcoming forecast, this seems doubtful. The Reign is an enormously capable going down hill (as you've probably read in every review) however it does struggle going back up (especially with the 170mm cranks and 36T chainring I'm running).

Again, I made a few modifications. The stock Deore set up was surprisingly very impressive, the 2x10 definitely made it a more versatile all rounder and provided better climbing capabilities. I decided against keeping it set up that way as I planned on doing more downhill oriented riding with this, perhaps in the future I'll reduce the chainring size to a 34T.

Frame - 2015 Giant Reign 27.5 2 - Medium
Rear shock - RockShox Monarch Debonair RT
Front shock/fork - RockShox Pike RC Solo Air
Handlebars - Truvativ Boo Bar 780mm
Stem - Truvativ Holzfeller 50mm
Saddle - Giant Contact
Seatpost - Giant Contact SL Switch-R
Brakes - Shimano Zee with 8/7" Zee rotors
Cranks - Shimano XTR with 32T Blackspire NW Chainring
Chainguide - CSixx Top Guide
Chain - KMC X10
Pedals - Shimano M424
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT
Rear shifter - Shimano Saint
Cassette - Shimano HG81, 11-36T with Fouriers 40/16T extended range cogs
Wheelset - LightBicycle Carbon Hookless 35mm laced to Hope Pro 2 Evo with Bladed Spokes
Tyres - Maxxis Minion DHF and HighRoller II 2.3"
Tubes - 3M 8898 tubeless tape, Stans valves and Stans NoTubes sealant
Total weight - 13.59kg (stock 14.86kg)

17252403911_675c04def3_b.jpg

17066757929_9a475c0643_b.jpg

16632753723_8dc0f12a8b_b.jpg

17251199712_82c514f93f_b.jpg

17252412281_21189375c8_b.jpg

16630490884_78d00a0605_b.jpg

17066748259_fe4f532af2_b.jpg

17011290769_f13996680f_b.jpg

17252960445_44dc0bd6f0_b.jpg

More photos to come.

Last edited:

billymtb

Likes Dirt
How's the short cage working out for you? are you able to get good shifting performance or do you reckon a medium cage would be better.

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is this a typo? Fox damper in RS? Have been wondering if the top caps were the same thread to facilitate such a swap.
Nah mate, sorry it's a RockShox RLC damper (similar to RCT3).

You Giant Brand whore you..
Now to recover your fitness!
This weather isn't helping!!!

How's the short cage working out for you? are you able to get good shifting performance or do you reckon a medium cage would be better.
I haven't had any issues with the short cage, with a 1x set up though I haven't used any medium cage mechs before. I get between and utilise all gears without any fuss, what shifting issues do you have?

billymtb

Likes Dirt
Nah mate, sorry it's a RockShox RLC damper (similar to RCT3).

This weather isn't helping!!!

I haven't had any issues with the short cage, with a 1x set up though I haven't used any medium cage mechs before. I get between and utilise all gears without any fuss, what shifting issues do you have?
I haven't tried a short cage on my reign, but thinking of going with the zee over a med cage xt. But didn't know if the reign had too much chain growth and would need to run the b tension all the way out.

Kramer

FoBR
Love em! I am an unashamed Giant fanboy, and have a very similar collection. Will need to clean my bikes for another Giant post your rides thread!
If only I hadn't bought 2 new bikes in the last 4 months I could probably afford some more upgrades...

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What made you choose a large Anthem and med Reign?
My 2014 Anthem was a Medium (23.4" TT) and I found it a bit too small and my 2014 Trance was a Large (24.4" TT)

The 2015 Anthem in Large has a 24.2" TT and the Reign in medium has a 24.4" TT again, I found this combination is more comfortable. The large Reign is enormous so I decided against it.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
My 2014 Anthem was a Medium (23.4" TT) and I found it a bit too small and my 2014 Trance was a Large (24.4" TT)

The 2015 Anthem in Large has a 24.2" TT and the Reign in medium has a 24.4" TT again, I found this combination is more comfortable. The large Reign is enormous so I decided against it.
Yeah I was just curious. Just shows that you really need to ride every frame before you buy.
I'm right on the cusp of most manufacturers small to medium (173cm). Every time I ride a small in a potential frame it feels waayyyy too small, I'm just more comfortable on medium framed bikes so far in all my bikes.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Yeah I was just curious. Just shows that you really need to ride every frame before you buy.
I'm right on the cusp of most manufacturers small to medium (173cm). Every time I ride a small in a potential frame it feels waayyyy too small, I'm just more comfortable on medium framed bikes so far in all my bikes.
Everyone should start paying attention to stack and reach measurements. They are a far more reliable indicator of frame size than anything else.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I agree, the majority of people look purely at ett for sizing, but reach is a better indicator. Seat angle and how high you run you seat has a huge bearing on ett length.