Maldon Vandalism

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maldon- Vandalism!!!
Unfortunately there has been some Vandalism at Mt Tarrengower at Maldon. The track that was raced at in the last round of Vic DH series has been damaged over the weekend. It is still unknown who has done this. The damage that was done, the up ramps of two jumps were slightly pulled apart as well as a bridge moved (has been returned to its original position). The main concern though is this person has put barbed wire across some of the track. This is obviously a big problem and we are working to address it. Till then take caution whilest riding out at Maldon for the time being. The tracks are all still open and 'should' be safe to ride. But it would be advised that in your first run of the track to 'check' that its safe to ride. Just thought I would let you all know so you can stay safe on the trails. Happy Riding

Ruys

Likes Dirt
That's fucked. Do these people realise that they could literally kill somebody by putting barbed wire across a track like that? The penalties for doing things like this should be as harsh as they are for people who chuck rocks off bridges at cars. :mad:

JaylikesDH

Likes Dirt
Sounds like the actions of someone who doesn't like DH

Someone could have seriously hurt themselves if they had hit ones of those jumps, makes you wonder if the person that did this actually thought out their "brilliant" plan

JASKE2

Likes Bikes
the people who damage track in this sort of way to not only prevent riders from riding the trail but also to hurt the rider, should be forced to ride the trail themselves until they run into the barbed wire and eat shit!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Does anyone have any idea of why someone would do something like that? Is it someone who thinks that the tracks are ruining the natural habitat? Could it be just kids being stupid? Have the local authorities been notified?

Sucks to have to check a run for vindictively placed obstacles before riding it...

dunndog

Eats Squid
1. Find culprit(s)
2. Insert pvc pipe into culprit(s) arse(s)
3. Insert said barbed wire into pvc pipe.
4. Remove pvc pipe.

These idiots are looking to mame someone or worse by doing this. Could be anyone. It was going on in Tassie a little while ago, a group of riders ended up catching the culprit in the act and it turned out to be a school teacher who was sick of having to watch out for riders whilst walking his dog. Fair enough, good reason to decapitate someone with barbed wire! Hope you guys get onto whoever has done this jacko, they deserve a good beating for this.

Timbot

Likes Dirt
detective qualities

Sounds like the actions of someone who doesn't like DH

Someone could have seriously hurt themselves if they had hit ones of those jumps, makes you wonder if the person that did this actually thought out their "brilliant" plan
Good work Sherlock.

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
Is there dedicated walking and riding tracks Jack'O?

Is one of those things that the police would do funk all about, or once they are caught will the correct authorities be able to stop it?

indica

Serial flasher
Not at all.
One asphalt road up and purely MTB down, some fireroad but nothing for walkers at all.
A very well established "scene" bringing some money into Maldon and some life n the hill. Approved by Parks and appreciated by the majority of the town.
Talk of violence is silly and not productive.
First runs should always be chilled anyway, but more so no obviously.
All the best Jack, that sucks.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Not at all.
One asphalt road up and purely MTB down, some fireroad but nothing for walkers at all.
A very well established "scene" bringing some money into Maldon and some life n the hill. Approved by Parks and appreciated by the majority of the town.
Talk of violence is silly and not productive.
First runs should always be chilled anyway, but more so no obviously.
All the best Jack, that sucks.
I agree, all this talk of violence is only reducing us bikers to the level of the people who are doing this. It is conceivable that they might be reading this thread, which would only add fuel to the fire. I think the best approach is to try and find out why someone would do this and then once a possible motive is established, being in a postion to 'negotiate'. The use of inverted commas was not intended as code for shoving barbed wire up the culprit's (ostensibly well deserving) ass...

Last edited:

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt

Is one of those things that the police would do funk all about, or once they are caught will the correct authorities be able to stop it?
It is actually a pretty serious offence. "Set a Man Trap to Injure or Kill". The problem for the police is finding relevant evidence to not only find the culprit, but have enough to charge them with that relevant offence.

I would personally just love to catch them in the act. There are mine shafts in that area. He/She is playing a dangerous game! :p

dunndog

Eats Squid
The use of inverted commas was not intended as code for shoving barbed wire up the culprit's (ostensibly well deserving) ass...
I believe the term used was insert, not shove. That would be uncouth and barbaric.

Section 179 Criminal Code Act 1924 - Setting of Man Traps

"179. Setting man-traps, &c.

(1) Any person who, with intent to cause death or grievous bodily harm to any person, sets or places, or causes to be set or placed, in any place any spring-gun, man-trap, or other engine calculated to cause death or grievous bodily harm, or knowingly and with such intent allows any such thing to remain so set or placed in any place under his control, is guilty of a crime.

Charge:

Setting a spring-gun [or man-trap] [or, allowing a spring-gun (or man-trap) to remain set].

(2) This section shall not apply to any gin or trap set for the purpose of catching or destroying vermin; nor to a spring-gun, man-trap, or engine set or maintained only during the night in a dwelling-house for the protection thereof."

And here are a couple of links relating to the case i mentioned before in Tassie.. this guy was laying multiple traps for months before he was caught red handed by riders who actually chased him down and made a citizens arrest. The charges hardly fit the crime, a bit more than a niusance i'd have thought.. Lets hope if these idiots are caught they are dealt with a bit more seriously than this tool.
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/05/23/147881_tasmania-news.html
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-...d-over-garotte-wire-prank-20101029-1770j.html

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
The age old walkers vs cyclists debacle...

Are people aware that the fact that bikers have not been allowed on the Gondola at Queenstown NZ for so many years is because someone on the council was walking up there one day and was almost taken out by a biker. it has literally taken the tenure of that one person on the council to make the area accessible for mountain biking again.

Fact: walkers hate bikers

Fact: walkers are pretty bloody annoying to bikers, particularly when walking on designated bike tracks and refusing to get out of the way

If walkers at Maldon think it's OK to string barbed wire across the tracks that is pretty much equivalent to bikers covering up the mine shafts with a thin layer of grass or some kind of camouflage so that walkers might fall into them.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Funny thing is though, I've never seen anyone walking around up there, atleast nowhere near the bike tracks.. Disgruntled campers perhaps? Annoyed at shuttle vehicles/loud music/bad language in the carpark? They're the only potential user group I can think of that may potentially have an issue, though any that I've met are usually just more curious about these big bikes and what the tracks are like. Certainly not laying any blame. Could be as simple as a few bored morons fuelled up on bundy cans and bogan genes.

indica

Serial flasher
There are not and never have been walking tracks there.
The DH tracks were there when I moved to Bendigo 4 years ago and they were old then.