Manatou... does anyone liked them?

big geoff

Likes Dirt
So I've seen a few posts about what forks to buy and what are the pros and cons of this and that but i was wondering if anyone had anything good to say about Manatou forks? Personally I don't know anyone who has had good experiences with them and I was hoping that this might just be a statistical anomaly. Well?

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they must b really new to the market. iv never heard on manatou, mayb ther a cheap rip off, of manitou ;)

But anyone iv always had manitou forks put on to my bikes at some stage. just find them to be stiffer and more plush than the same fork from Marzocchi or rockshox

I have manitou Travis single crown forks on my SX atm and ther fricken plush ay lol. plush they have enough modulation that it wont confuse you, but still help you tune your front end perfect.

dhd

Downhill Direct
But anyone iv always had manitou forks put on to my bikes at some stage. just find them to be stiffer and more plush and heavierer than the same fork from Marzocchi or rockshox
Just a quick edit.......;)

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
I'm a fan of the Manitou forks ever since running the early model sherman's and recently a set of Travis SC's, I find them to be a very stiff and reliable fork.

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had some 06 Gold Label 1's (same as normal GLs, just with qr dropouts).

I loved them, and thrashed them, they never needed a service in the year I ran them and, as a result, the crown snapped when I hit a wall doing a 3.

Manitou, bring back Gold Labels!!

happy_heretic

Likes Dirt
I like em. I have some pretty low end ones (Manitou Stance Blunt 150mm) and it only has rebound control, but they are amazingly plush and they have taken the flogging of a once huck based mtber (no more! too much money to replace the damages of hucking.)

Im looking for new forks now as these are getting on, but im definately going for another set of manitou's.

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah Manitou forks are great. Had a set of 110-130mm Sherman Fireflys, and Travis Triple 180mm, both of which were very good forks. Never had a problem with either of them, easy to set up and just good all round reliable forks.

7point3

Likes Dirt
i liked them and i had stances, everyone seemed to have problems with theirs but mine were perfect untill i bailed out and landed on them which made them snap.
and on my DJ bike i have gold labels and i will never get any other DJ fork.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I had some manitou skarebs for a while. They were stiff (didnt compress easily) and flexy (from side to side). I snaped them after a few years and rebuilt them with another pair (?) of skarebs. They were realy easy to rebuild, and apparently its pretty easy to mix parts from different manitou forks.
They have now changed their product line to be just quality high end forks and suspension. I only know about their XC forks, but for what its worth, (from specs, not experience) the R7 looks like one of if not the best XC fork on the market.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I've seen a few posts about what forks to buy and what are the pros and cons of this and that but i was wondering if anyone had anything good to say about Manatou forks? Personally I don't know anyone who has had good experiences with them and I was hoping that this might just be a statistical anomaly. Well?
Refer to sig

holdenutes_93

Likes Dirt
Yeah Manitou, a NZ brand aren't necessarily a cheap brand although they are not common in Australia. I would recommend purchasing a set of Rockshox, Fox or Marzocchi forks. Purely as they are much more common brand and it is piss easy to find a retailer anywhere around Australia.

S.

ex offender
Yeah Manitou, a NZ brand aren't necessarily a cheap brand although they are not common in Australia. I would recommend purchasing a set of Rockshox, Fox or Marzocchi forks. Purely as they are much more common brand and it is piss easy to find a retailer anywhere around Australia.
Manitou are now distributed by Dirt Works who are, if I recall correctly, the biggest distributor of bike parts in Australia. Piss easy to find a retailer who deals with Dirt Works because they ALL do.

My experience with Manitou forks (currently owning 3 Shermans in various states of repair) is that they're pretty hit-or-miss. They can be either the greatest fork you've ever ridden, or a complete heap of crap. The internals vary from awesome to ridiculously terrible, and they typically combine a few great ideas with a few seriously freaking dumb ones. The Shermans in particular can be real bastards to work on, and the entire spring side of them is rubbish, whereas the damper side combines genius with stupidity. They do things like mix imperial and metric in both threads and fastener heads (eg 6mm allen key on damper side footbolt and 7/16ths or something nut on the spring side), and the seals seem to either be indestructible and awesome, or mainly holding your oil in by blind faith.

What Manitou ARE capable of doing - and I stress the phrase "capable of doing" here, not "what they actually usually do" - is producing a better fork damper than pretty well anyone else. Fox come close in some regards, and the new Rockshox stuff may be less stone-age than its predecessors, but the TPC/TPC+ systems provided excellent compression and rebound damping that was both usable, adjustable and internally tunable with proper shim stacks and all that stuff. Fox would be up there if they gave you any compression damping, but they don't. Of course, Manitou also put SPV in a $3200 DH fork, which proved to be an extremely bright idea as it took away the only good feature of an otherwise crap fork.

There is a reason why they have a bad reputation - they don't seem to have any consistent direction, they use consumers as guinea pigs for new technology that mostly doesn't work very well (SPV/Intrinsic etc) instead of sticking to dampers that already work and improving their chassis to be more in line with the strength/weight/tyre clearance/axle-to-crown height/stiffness/lack of dents in your downtube that their competitors deliver. Basically, you just don't really know if you're going to get a world-beater or a dud when you buy one. Don't get me wrong, some of their better forks have been fantastic (eg the original Sherman Jumpers which became the Gold Labels), but some of them have sucked so hard NASA was actually considering naming them black holes.

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My stances punched me in the face at the skate park after they found out i was cheating on it with my 888's on the DH bike.
(get the same brand if you have 2 bikes...)