Manly Dam single track closed

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I Wouldn't say forever but, it will be shut for a while.
until they get it sorted out,
This really sucks as its a trail i have been riding since 1992, now all of a sudden it's illegal
they are putting a stop to bikes on the single track,
This is the same single-track that us mountain bikers have put a few days worth of track building/ maintaining into.

the rideable bits are in green.

from another site
http://nobmob.com/node/13024

I just don't know how to put this, so am going to just get straight to the point:

Manly Warringah Council have decided that due to a bureaucratic error that happened many years ago the single track sections of the Manly Dam circuit have never actually been technically legal riding. As such, instead of turning a blind eye, or deciding to make an extra effort to work around what is their mistake, they are to penalise riders by closing sections of the track.

If you look at the linked map, it's obvious that the circuit is basically unridable given this decision.

They are sighting safety concerns for this, but that is a complete joke as, as far as I'm aware there have been no documented incidents involving riders and another party there. I spoke to the Mayor on Wednesday night who admits this isn't an issue as he is aware of "only one incident in 5 (or is that 10?) years" (he wasn't sure of the timeframe).

Please take a look at the closed sections on the map (and you note the map says that 'Penalties Apply') and steer clear of these tracks.

Reading the release it seems this will be discussed at an extraordinary meeting of the council Feb 23 to discuss this. I'd advise anyone with interest in riding Manly Dam to attend. You might also like to email or call councillors (their contact details are available on Warringah's Elected Council page) with your views on this.

Please see the attached map, and full press release below:

Manly Dam Reserve media release

Attachments

Last edited:

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
only one small section, but the little bit near the golf course clubhouse is actually signposted for bikes to go there. pretty straightforward.

I would be extremely disappointed if this led to the closure of manly dam as a riding venue, and also if it meant that the good sections were replaced with detours or fireroads.

surely there is enough space to have 2 trails (as there are in many areas of the dam) with one dedicated for riding one way and the other trail for walkers (this can be 2-way as I don't really care if walkers walk into each other!)

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well that takes out the enjoyable and technical parts of the track!

Hopefully they come to their senses soon!

Dicky

Punter God
Hah!

I give it about three days (possibly longer due to the rain) given that most people won't be online now, or even know about it until out on the trail.

Sorry guys, not going to happen. Restricting access to the overwhelming majority of users is just not cricket.

Given the recent press regarding said council -
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/torture-chamber/
(notably missing discussion of reinstating trackwork volunteer days for the Dam!)
and more here:
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/the-chamber-of-egos/
I would suggest that the councillors look at digging UP instead.

I feel sorry for the rangers that are expected to enforce it... time will tell if that actually happens.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Was anyone out there riding today? Council have erected signs, but were the rangers out there today issuing warnings, fines, handing out breath-freshing mints?

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Dicky;2122104 I feel sorry for the rangers that are expected to enforce it... time will tell if that actually happens.[/QUOTE said:
I don;t think it will be enforced, I'm guessing the press release and signage was nothing more than legal coverage of Councils arse while they sort the anomaly in the POM.

Yes, letter need to be written, but keep them Civil, keep them factual and stop with the person attacks (bureaucratic error).

sly_artichoke

Likes Dirt
Tha' email is a wondrous thing, son.

In t' olden days, when I were a lad, you'd have to get up before ya went to bed to get scratchin' wiff quill'n'ink to hammer out a few missives to powers tha' be to have a wee winge about summat. Now ya can whip out a few lines, cc to t' whole world and have 3 replies back by suppertime. On a Sunday no less.

Well that's wha' happened to me today. Right grand methinks.

So I have hope I have, tha' those ivory tower dwellers will come to thar senses.

But keep pesterin' them like, tha's t' spirit.