Marzocchi 888 evo

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've recently come into a certain amount of cash and new forks are on the cards.

The new Boxxer Team and 888 evo (not the ti) have come into the radar. The main concern I have, is that the importer (SVC) could be very much like the old one in that getting any sort of warranty claim in is beyond impossible, especially if you pull the cartridge apart (as this is an advertised feature) and then say a damping rod breaks and it's not fault of your own.

Do you have to get them serviced by SVC to keep your 3yr? warranty?

The second concern I have is that they will be as sticky as the 08 888's. Man those things felt like they had gum in them.

Can anyone compare them to the new Boxxer?

The main reason I'm steering towards these instead of the Boxxer is reliability. Zoke claim to have gone back to their 07' days and my 888wc's are beyond reliable, but they brake dive like absolute hell and the damper locks itself into a pitbull like frenzy when you try to remidy that. The new evo is also pretty cheap judging by overseas prices, it should be under $1500 retail I think.

My 888 also fades dramatically over a day, like the cartridge isn't draining properly when the comp is increased. There is more than enough oil in it as well. A problem with the new ones as well?

.BP.

Likes Dirt
All i can say is steer clear of the boxxers, my brother has the 888 and they are like old 888s not the newer ones. They are super plush and smooth compared to my 2010 boxxer teams. Im selling my teams for some of the 888 ti's.

HHH

Likes Dirt
Boxxers or 888s

I'm not sure if I would go as far as to say stay clear of Boxxers.

I bought a set of 2010 teams at the same time as a mate & both are like chalk & cheese. Mine were not right from the start and even after repeated returns under warranty never seemed quite right.

On the other hand my mates' teams have been great from the start and what I expected them to be. He is more than happy and I would be too if I got that set.

Another mate has just purchased a 2010 Ti set of 888's and I can only respond by saying they are buttery smooth.

Not sure if I could pick between the two on performance but the white teams look awsome.

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had the '10 Evo Ti for a couple of months now and so far so good. They're certainly not sticky like you describe. I definitely don't notice them brake dive like the older ones used to, but that may be due to them being REALLY progressive. I'm 65kg and I've dropped down to the lighter spring and I'm still trying to soften them up a bit. I'll have to check the oil height next.

Obviously it's early days so no idea on reliability.

BKelly

teh fast
I've recently come into a certain amount of cash and new forks are on the cards.

The new Boxxer Team and 888 evo (not the ti) have come into the radar. The main concern I have, is that the importer (SVC) could be very much like the old one in that getting any sort of warranty claim in is beyond impossible, especially if you pull the cartridge apart (as this is an advertised feature) and then say a damping rod breaks and it's not fault of your own.

Do you have to get them serviced by SVC to keep your 3yr? warranty?

The second concern I have is that they will be as sticky as the 08 888's. Man those things felt like they had gum in them.

Can anyone compare them to the new Boxxer?

The main reason I'm steering towards these instead of the Boxxer is reliability. Zoke claim to have gone back to their 07' days and my 888wc's are beyond reliable, but they brake dive like absolute hell and the damper locks itself into a pitbull like frenzy when you try to remidy that. The new evo is also pretty cheap judging by overseas prices, it should be under $1500 retail I think.

My 888 also fades dramatically over a day, like the cartridge isn't draining properly when the comp is increased. There is more than enough oil in it as well. A problem with the new ones as well?
Marzocchi's three year warranty is pretty much the same as any other warranty in that it is a manufactures warranty. You do not have to get the forks serviced by SCV. The only reason they would be not covered by warranty is if it is not a manufacturing defect. The new RC3 Evo damper is pretty fool proof though and stock has a very large tuning range so most of the time a custom tune is not necessary.

For 2010 they are also using a new "fitted and slotted" bushing system which have much better tolerances and lubrication, so no bushing play and smoother than ever before!

The RRP for the 2010 888 Evo is $1259

Last edited:

Nick_M2r

Likes Dirt
Ive sent in multiple forks to SCV and they are MUCH better than group sportiff at sorting out problems. Had my old 08 R cart drilled, 08 crap replaced and even order parts. for example rang up brad (super nice guy to deal with) asked if he had any 08 RC3 carts, did the order over the net, he sent them the same day, had it at my door the next day, man was i pleased!

You dont have to worry about snapping the adjuster off the bottom anymore, as you can replace the base valve separatley with the evo cart

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They gents (for the lack or a better word) at SVC are a bunch of twats.

When it comes to warranty, they think 3 months turnaround on replacing a fork for a new one is reasonable. I will never buy a brand where I have to exclusivley have to deal through them for warranty again. I felt sorry for TBSM having to deal on my behalf with them and gave them a brake and made the calls myself.

After calling them twice a week for 6 weeks, at 3 months I called on a wednesday and said that they had until Monday to have a progression on my warrantied fork or else I was writing them a letter of demand followed by a call to fair trading about raising a statement of claim...

Needless to say TBSM called me Monday morning that my new 2010 55 TST2 had arrived and was ready to be picked up.

Be forcefull, honesty is hard to come by these days, and sometimes acting like a hardass will get you the desired result.

As for Marzocci, the 08 range was rubbish. The 2010 feels great, but after riding with my BOS fork, ill have trouble going back to anything else but BOS and/or high-end Fox.

BKelly

teh fast
They gents (for the lack or a better word) at SVC are a bunch of twats.

When it comes to warranty, they think 3 months turnaround on replacing a fork for a new one is reasonable. I will never buy a brand where I have to exclusivley have to deal through them for warranty again. I felt sorry for TBSM having to deal on my behalf with them and gave them a brake and made the calls myself.

After calling them twice a week for 6 weeks, at 3 months I called on a wednesday and said that they had until Monday to have a progression on my warrantied fork or else I was writing them a letter of demand followed by a call to fair trading about raising a statement of claim...

Needless to say TBSM called me Monday morning that my new 2010 55 TST2 had arrived and was ready to be picked up.

Be forcefull, honesty is hard to come by these days, and sometimes acting like a hardass will get you the desired result.

As for Marzocci, the 08 range was rubbish. The 2010 feels great, but after riding with my BOS fork, ill have trouble going back to anything else but BOS and/or high-end Fox.
Judd,

Getting on the phone and being abusive and forceful as you put it to the guys that were trying to help you out did not help things or your situation.

I totally agree that the time you had to wait was unacceptable but I wanted to replace your fork with a 2010 model so you would not have the problems you had with your previous '08 fork but they were not available to us at the time and you calling twice a week did not change that.

Obviously we (SCV) being the importers of Marzocchi want to help and support Marzocchi customers as best as possible but being in Australia unfortunately a very small part of the world do not get priority and occationally things are out of our control.

We would prefer that guys like yourself did not "exclusively" deal with us and you left it up to the bike shop to make the calls.

You acting like a "hard ass" as you put it only resulted in you getting the model of fork under the upgraded one I had intended on giving you.

I'm glad your happy with your low end 2010 fork and think they feel great, the high end ones feel even better!

Next time try the polite and friendly approach instead of being abusive and swearing down the phone handle, you might just find it to be more affective!

Last edited:

F1234K

Likes Dirt
Judd,

Getting on the phone and being abusive and forceful as you put it to the guys that were trying to help you out did not help things or your situation.

I totally agree that the time you had to wait was unacceptable but I wanted to replace your fork with a 2010 model so you would not have the problems you had with your previous '08 fork but they were not available to us at the time and you calling twice a week did not change that.

Obviously we (SCV) being the importers of Marzocchi want to help and support Marzocchi customers as best as possible but being in Australia unfortunately a very small part of the world do not get priority and occationally things are out of our control.

We would prefer that guys like yourself did not "exclusively" deal with us and you left it up to the bike shop to make the calls.

You acting like a "hard ass" as you put it only resulted in you getting the model of fork under the upgraded one I had intended on giving you.

I'm glad your happy with your low end 2010 fork and think they feel great, the high end ones feel even better!

Next time try the polite and friendly approach instead of being abusive and swearing down the phone handle, you might just find it to be more affective!
HA! I love it :)

On another note:
Good to hear these new Zocks are doing the job. I was very curios about that and the price seems good too...