Mechanical Craziness!! Cold war preferred, anything nuts also gratefully accepted!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
How close do you think air to air combat is played these days? if your within range of your cannons your doing something very very wrong.
<quickly donning my armchair-aviation-expert leather pilots hat and accompanying pipe>

I must correct you there old chap! They said that prior to Vietnam and subsequently built the F4 Phantom sans cannon. This turned out to be a jolly big mistake. Missiles aren't the most reliable of things, the distance between two aircraft dashing towards each other at near-supersonic speeds can be eaten up very quickly and the rules of engagement required visual identification before firing (something the americans could well do with paying heed to, I might add). This meant that quite often the Phantom's were outmatched by the North Vietnam's inferior Migs.

All fighter aircraft since then (including later editions of the Phantom) have been built with at least some form of cannon attached.

Tally-Ho!

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah and since then missiles have improved shitloads. Vietnam was almost 50 years ago now. Things change, radar has improved and they can id targets out of visual range now.

Yes theres a use for cannons, the use is a last resort when things have gone pear shaped. And even then the pilots would have a hard time hitting much. The future is shown in the f-22, it carrys a vulcan but only with 480 rounds. which is enough for about 5 seconds of sustained fire. If youve been reduced to even thinking of using a cannon these days youve seriously screwed up.

Last edited:

Toff

Likes Dirt
<quickly donning my armchair-aviation-expert leather pilots hat and accompanying pipe>

I must correct you there old chap! They said that prior to Vietnam and subsequently built the F4 Phantom sans cannon. This turned out to be a jolly big mistake. Missiles aren't the most reliable of things, the distance between two aircraft dashing towards each other at near-supersonic speeds can be eaten up very quickly and the rules of engagement required visual identification before firing (something the americans could well do with paying heed to, I might add). This meant that quite often the Phantom's were outmatched by the North Vietnam's inferior Migs.

All fighter aircraft since then (including later editions of the Phantom) have been built with at least some form of cannon attached.

Tally-Ho!
You got that from BFV, didn't you?

MasterOfReality

After forever
Taken this week:

The oldest Longwall in QLD (1983), still kicking. Just kicked off the new block last week and already got some narly geology and grading going on at the moment, makes my job more interesting...
Can't believe I didn't see this before.

That looks remarkably like the old Capcoal Central Colliery longwall. Are they still the old 4 leg chocks?

First longwall in QLD.

I spent plenty of time in the tailgate, and also as a human breaker feeder when the maingate almost went iron bound.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Yeah and since then missiles have improved shitloads. Vietnam was almost 50 years ago now. Things change, radar has improved and they can id targets out of visual range now.

Yes theres a use for cannons, the use is a last resort when things have gone pear shaped. And even then the pilots would have a hard time hitting much. The future is shown in the f-22, it carrys a vulcan but only with 480 rounds. which is enough for about 5 seconds of sustained fire. If youve been reduced to even thinking of using a cannon these days youve seriously screwed up.

<still has the leather hat and pipe get-up on because quite frankly it looks becoming of a gentleman

Everything you've said, my old little tinkerbell is exactly what the pencil pushers back at the drawing boards said back in those heady 1960's.

Thing's haven't really changed. Sure, the F-22 carries a fairly minimal ammo load for it's cannon but it still gives up a MASSIVE amount of space and weight for the actual multiple barreled-high tech death machine that fires these rounds in the first place.
If it were really unnecessary, surely they'd free the space up for a set of golf clubs and an esky, no?

As for "smart" missiles and all that shite. Missiles fly towards their targets at a shiteload of speed. Mach 4+ if i'm led to believe. That doesn't really give them much of a turning circle and they tend to head straight towards whatever their RADAR or heat-seeking sensors will tell them which is fine if for the fact that RADAR can be easily confused with ticker-tape, tin-foil or funky radarjamming and Heat-Seekers get easily distracted by high-intensity flares, schoolboy uniforms, Gibson SG guitars and flat-caps.

Fair enough, at the moment NATO/USAF/RAF/RAAF are fighting the most ridiculously one-sided air-superiority battle since those annoying kids got that massive golden eagle in the '80's cartoon series "Cities of Gold" and used it to bombard the Spanish Conquistadors, but if they were to come up against the Chinese, for instance. They'd be fucked!

Most Western countries hold fast to the "Quality not Quantity" rule which is why you'd spend a bazillion dollars on one aircraft and it's payload of Gucci air-air missiles. However, folk like the Chinese hold fast to Joe Stalin's (allegedly) counter that quantity has a quality all of it's own. Basically. You put 10 F-22's in the air with maybe 4 medium range missiles apiece and a further 4 short range missiles (all up 80 missiles) against 80 Chinese fighters, You'll come up with maybe 20 or so who are still flying after the missile barrage and who are willing to take it toe-to-toe!

Meh. F*** it. If this new-fangled Chinese J-20 Stealth Fighter/F-22-rip-off acts like it's supposed to and is put in the equation then your missiles are f***ing useless anyway! The F-22 is a demon for avoiding radar and heat-seeking lock and it won't be long before people start catching up.

Also an air to air missile costs anywhere up to $1,000,000 bucks and can only be used once and a plane can only carry about half a dozen of them whereas cannon shells cost about the same as stubbies of Melbourne Bitter (and strangely taste the same) and fighter jets can carry hundreds of the fuckers. It makes sense to me...

Anyway, chocks away old bean and smoke me a kipper, skipper, I'll be back before breakfast!

[video=youtube;EWjjBdPB3ts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjjBdPB3ts&feature=fvst[/video]

scuba05

Likes Dirt
Not to do with planes, or the cold war, but an absolute marvel of engineering.

engine in finishing stages

crankshaft

pistons

Yes, it an engine, and a friggen big one at that. Called the Warsila-Sulzer RTA96-C. Yes its a diesel, and yes its a 2 stroke.

It stands at 13.5 metres (44 ft) high, is 27.3 m (90 ft) long, and weighs over 2300 tonnes in its largest 14-cylinder version — producing 109,000 brake horsepower (80,08 MW). Gets this at 102rpm. Interstingly, gets its max torque at same rpm, 7,603,850 newton metres (5,608,310 ft·lbf) @ 102 rpm.

Resume your cold war stories guys....

Ivan

Eats Squid
probably more electrical than mechanical, but freakin cool anyway, and probably appreciated by people viewing this thread.
Crusher is a six-wheel-drive, hybrid electric UGV constructed of aluminum and titanium that weighs in at 14,000 pounds fully fueled. Able to carry as much as 8,000 pounds of payload and armor, Crusher is powered by in-hub electric motors, lithium-ion batteries with high power density, and an industrial-grade Volkswagen Jetta 60-horsepower, turbo diesel engine. Crusher is also outfitted with a Rafael Mini-Typhoon gun mount that holds a .50-caliber rifle.
Peek-a-boo, I is watchin you...

[video=youtube;o2Kh7FVgDCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Kh7FVgDCU&feature=related[/video]

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
and also as a human breaker feeder when the maingate almost went iron bound.
Oh the joys of underground mining;)

Slight detour of thread

My one and only official broken bone came from digging out an iron bound maingate.

Jackhammering out the floor to try and get the chocks through, hunched over with no head room, got the jackhammer jammed, pulled up hard. jack hammer came up all of a sudden and came down on my toe, just behind the steel cap. The shock made me squeeze the trigger. The result was 1 broken toe, split long ways...

Anyhoo back to weird whacky machinery but sticking to mining

Highwall mining: It's underground mining with out having to go underground. I worked on one of the first addcar systems in Aus and at one stage our crew held the record for longest shaft and most highwall coal cut in 12hrs

Basically the 300 tonne launch vehicle is positioned against the side of the opencut. A modified continuous miner is driven off the deck into the seem. The operator sits in an air conditioned cabin at the back of the launch vehicle and controls the miner by remote using video cameras, gamma detectors and magnetic thingies to steer.

You drive in 12 meters and then connect up a self contained conveyor called an Addcar. Then repeat. The addcars cascade the coal out and you just add more the deeper you go. Our record at the time was 33 or 34 cars in a 12hr shift.

Once you get in to depth you pull everything back out and walk the launch vehicle 5 or 6 meters side ways and do it all again. Because you haven't got people underground you don't need to worry about ventilation or or adding artificial support tot he roof and you can narrow the pillars down to a bare minimum. You can also mine seems which sit on top of each other with not much coverage between

Launch vehicle

Joy Cm 14 miner

Addcar about to get added in (Note the addcar is is 12 meter long and needs to be slewed in to connect to the one in front but the loader driver only has 12.5 meters of space to do it.)

The original highwall concept was a simple round cutting head powered by and old V8 engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKlCpeHE2EE

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
One more on mining
Joys FCT (Flexible conveyor train)

basically a conveyor system that concertinas out so you drive it up to the back of the continuous miner and just keep mining. From memory it can stretch out a couple of hundred meters and go around corners so there is less need to stop to lengthen conveyor systems or to use shuttle cars to get the coal from the miner to the conveyor. Pretty cool bit of gear. If they can marry something like this up to a highwall system it would absolutely rip

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is pretty interesting engineering there theCat. Do you still work with this equipment?

Self propelled mobile double or triple drilling rig.
[video=youtube;jsmKNad0ZvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmKNad0ZvU&feature=related[/video]

martinpb

Likes Dirt
Tsr2.jpg
TSR.2 with Pavania Tornado for some scale...

Serious piece of kit. Mach 2 top speed, 1000 NM range, STOL and rough field capable. Lots of the avionics ended up on the Tornado 15 years later.

rone

Eats Squid
The Napier Deltic, used in the Deltic class locomotives and torpedo boats. It had three crankshafts, and three banks of opposed cylinders in a triangular layout (hence the name). Technically a two stroke diesel - the two pistons in a given cylinder don't reach their respective top centers at the same time. Sounds like pure power.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=68&ty=59

Attachments

Last edited:

scuba05

Likes Dirt
What the hell is that engine scuba05 potsed used for, it's far too big for a ship isn't it?
Yep, its for massive ships. Here is an example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_M%C3%A6rsk. The ship is 397m long, 56m wide, and can hold around 13500 to 15200 containers in one load.
That ship is the 2nd largest in the world, with one other one bigger than it. It makes regular trips from northern europe to asia and back.

These ships are built around the engine, as they cant really move the engine. They service one piston at a time every so often, and keep doing different cylinders every service.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, its for massive ships. Here is an example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_M%C3%A6rsk. The ship is 397m long, 56m wide, and can hold around 13500 to 15200 containers in one load.
That ship is the 2nd largest in the world, with one other one bigger than it. It makes regular trips from northern europe to asia and back.

These ships are built around the engine, as they cant really move the engine. They service one piston at a time every so often, and keep doing different cylinders every service.
The engine is first built in a shed and then taking apart into sections and assembled in the boat. Ones that big come in about 3-4 sections that fit together. Its put in the boat before the decks above go on but thats just common sense. The boat is hardly "built around them".

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
just to add to the Missiles vs MG talk ...

Stolen from elsewhere ... apparently a 20mm vulcan off an A10 ... which I presume will be somewhat similar to other 20mm vulcans on other fighter aircraft ... happy to be corrected.

In line with some of POSMs tidbits ... it does seem like a lot of machinery to add to a thin shelled flying machine, if it wasn't overly important. Also seems crazy to pack all that in and then scrimp on ammo