Mechanical Craziness!! Cold war preferred, anything nuts also gratefully accepted!

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
the german experimentation during war gave out alot of useful technology. Their superiority still amazes me now!

Daneel

Likes Dirt
not so much crazyness, just expensive and eye-opening.

Blade off test for the Airbus A380: from memory, it's a £9 milion test or something ridiculous like that.. make sure you have the speakers on at 4:00 onwards to listen to the engine spool up.. shite..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j973645y5AA

then sand injestion test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMIkk-ZqUzM

and water injestion test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faDWFwDy8-U

and overload emergency braking test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1dv_y_3EK0

yes, that last one is designed to catch fire. The brakes are absorbing 5 MJ of energy every second during the test :p

Last edited:

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Now if they can just stop the tailfins allegedly falling off the A380's things will be sweet...

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
This sucks because I was supposed to be on the damn thing right now 'cept the job just got canned (in consolation I get a little jolly down to Angola next week though...)

but anyway, here's the world's largest crane barge The Thialf:

It's capable of lifting up to 14,200 tonnes! Which is almost twice the weight of Scott's wallet! ;)
Postscript to this.

I'm currently on the Thialf's sister barge, The Hermod. It's pretty much the same size albeit a tad smaller and is quite possibly one of the biggest shit-heaps I've ever worked on! I swear, the owners of this thing must be absolute pikeys, we haven't had milk (fresh or UHT) for almost a fortnight, the lettuce is brown, it's noisy and unless you manage to hijack the bridge's wi-fi (which I may have done) they charge you a fortune for phone and internet access cards!

It's got a pretty bloody big gym though...

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I work with a guy who used to work on testing the engines and the stories are, frankly, appalling...
Thats pretty normal, a first gen anything is usually pretty avarage. we have a first gen engine in some of our planes, and they dont even last 5000hours. however the previous model has lasted upto 18000 hours.

the 18000hours is with 10-15years of r &d. give it 5-10 years and the engine's will approve 10fold

dgreger

Cannon Fodder
hell yeah! Haha arms races make for wicked aircraft :) if I get some spare money I'm buying me a ride in a foxbat. Hopefully if all goes well I'll he behind the controls of an f-35 and hopefully oneday an su-37 or 35 I'm easy haha, dreams and aspirations are wicked cool :).

lol at the car! The aircraft deconstruction yard is called the boneyard and it's location escapes me, in the us, my mind says Edwards afb, but it's not it's elsewhere in the desert I'm pretty sure, it's an extrememly cool place, as a bit of trivia we bought our f1-11s from thre and that is where they shall return shortly :) along with the f-4 phantoms we borrowed while our f1-11s were being fixed up.
The Boneyard in question here is Davis Monthan AFB outside Tucson, AZ

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Landkreuzer P. 1500 Monster

Conception
On 23 June 1942 the German Ministry of Armaments proposed a 1,000 tonne tank – the Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte. Adolf Hitler himself expressed interest in the project and go-ahead was granted. In December the same year, Krupp designed an even larger 1,500 tonne tank – the P 1500 Monster.

Purpose
This "land cruiser" was a self-propelled platform for the 800mm Schwerer Gustav artillery piece also made by Krupp – the largest artillery guns ever fired for effect. Their 7 tonne projectiles fired up to 37 km (23 miles) and were designed for use against heavily fortified targets. Given its lack of a traversable gun, it was more of an extremely heavy self-propelled artillery piece.

Spec
The Landkreuzer P. 1500 Monster was to be 42 m (138 ft) long, weighing 1500 tonnes, with a 250 mm hull front armor, 4 MAN U-boat (submarine) diesel engines, and an operating crew of over 100 men.
The main armament was to be an 800 mm Dora/Schwerer Gustav K (E) railway gun, and with a secondary armament of two 150 mm sFH 18/1 L/30 howitzers and multiple 15 mm MG 151/15 autocannons.
The projected design appears to have been a self-propelled gun rather than a tank, as it lacked a rotating turret or other enclosed structure to protect the crew. It was apparently expected to operate in a similar manner to the original 800mm railroad gun and Karl 600mm self-propelled mortars, launching shells without engaging the enemy with direct fire.

Type Project super-heavy tank
Place of origin Nazi Germany
Specifications
Weight 1,500 t (1,700 ST; 1,500 LT)
Length 42 metres (138 ft)
Width 18 metres (59 ft)
Height 7 metres (23 ft)
Crew 100+
Armor 250 millimetres (9.8 in) (hull front)
Primary
armament 1x 800 mm K (E) gun
Secondary
armament 2x 15cm sFH 18/1 L/30 (howitzer)
Multiple 15 mm MG151/15
Engine Four MAN M9v 40/46 U-boat diesels
2,200 hp
Operational
range Unknown
Speed 15 km/h (9.3 mph)

Bermshot

Banned
Landkreuzer P. 1500 Monster

Conception
On 23 June 1942 the German Ministry of Armaments proposed a 1,000 tonne tank – the Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte. Adolf Hitler himself expressed interest in the project and go-ahead was granted. In December the same year, Krupp designed an even larger 1,500 tonne tank – the P 1500 Monster.

Purpose
This "land cruiser" was a self-propelled platform for the 800mm Schwerer Gustav artillery piece also made by Krupp – the largest artillery guns ever fired for effect. Their 7 tonne projectiles fired up to 37 km (23 miles) and were designed for use against heavily fortified targets. Given its lack of a traversable gun, it was more of an extremely heavy self-propelled artillery piece.

Spec
The Landkreuzer P. 1500 Monster was to be 42 m (138 ft) long, weighing 1500 tonnes, with a 250 mm hull front armor, 4 MAN U-boat (submarine) diesel engines, and an operating crew of over 100 men.
The main armament was to be an 800 mm Dora/Schwerer Gustav K (E) railway gun, and with a secondary armament of two 150 mm sFH 18/1 L/30 howitzers and multiple 15 mm MG 151/15 autocannons.
The projected design appears to have been a self-propelled gun rather than a tank, as it lacked a rotating turret or other enclosed structure to protect the crew. It was apparently expected to operate in a similar manner to the original 800mm railroad gun and Karl 600mm self-propelled mortars, launching shells without engaging the enemy with direct fire.

Type Project super-heavy tank
Place of origin Nazi Germany
Specifications
Weight 1,500 t (1,700 ST; 1,500 LT)
Length 42 metres (138 ft)
Width 18 metres (59 ft)
Height 7 metres (23 ft)
Crew 100+
Armor 250 millimetres (9.8 in) (hull front)
Primary
armament 1x 800 mm K (E) gun
Secondary
armament 2x 15cm sFH 18/1 L/30 (howitzer)
Multiple 15 mm MG151/15
Engine Four MAN M9v 40/46 U-boat diesels
2,200 hp
Operational
range Unknown
Speed 15 km/h (9.3 mph)
This is what I need when I get back to Syd.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
like a handbrake turn... just watch your opponent overshoot, followed by you flopping out of the kobra, accelerating with afterburners.... followed by letting your trigger finger drift slightly to the right...

BLAMMO​

well, thats just how spanky see's it.... as he flies round the lab, lab coat flapping wildly, making plane noises and shooting down... well, nothing...

s
How close do you think air to air combat is played these days? if your within range of your cannons your doing something very very wrong.

rone

Eats Squid
The British Aircraft Corporation TSR-2. Capability-wise about 20 years ahead of its time. Killed by the politicians as development costs rose. Acknowledged by many involved as one of the best planes never made. Certainly one of the nicest looking.TSR-2.jpgTSR-2-1.jpgBAC_TSR_2.jpg

rone

Eats Squid
Fairey Rotodyne. VTOL airliner autogyro thing. Rotor-tip jets powered the rotors and the propellersrotodyne.jpgFairey_Rotodyne_3.jpgimages.jpg and stub wings were enough for forward flight combined with the autogyro effect of the rotors. Eventually scrapped due to the noise it made. Wasn't ever able to be made quiet enough for commercial use. Would love to have seen one in action, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9633v6U0wo

Last edited: