Medicinal marijuana and road laws

safreek

It is a given that medmar will be legal in the near future, does this mean the government will have to show what hypocrites and liars they are. If a person has an illness that already affects their capability to drive do you think the government should allow them to drive. The laws that have been enacted with drug driving and such have been justified on a road safety platform. Should ill people be given leeway compared to non ill people. Remember that this is about road safety and not life style choices. Nsw is zero tolerence

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
It is a given that medmar will be legal in the near future, does this mean the government will have to show what hypocrites and liars they are. If a person has an illness that already affects their capability to drive do you think the government should allow them to drive. The laws that have been enacted with drug driving and such have been justified on a road safety platform. Should ill people be given leeway compared to non ill people. Remember that this is about road safety and not life style choices. Nsw is zero tolerence
Nope. Impared is Impared. Doesn't matter if you're sick or not, or if the drug is legal or not. You can still be done for driving while impared on legal prescription medication and that's the way it should be.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Interesting opening statement (and seems to lack demonstrated basis).

There are already legal measures in place (my knowledge is limited to Victoria) to manage/limit the known impact of illnesses that impair competence and affect safety to an unacceptable level in regulated activities such as driving a registered vehicle.

There also has been absolutely no mention of exemptions for users (as for any medicine affecting task competence) from existing laws regarding limits for regulated activities.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
I conclude to jump up and down until someone gives me my meds and let's me drive at the same time. :woot:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
No different to alcohol, a perfectly legal drug. Get caught with a concentration over 0.05% Bac, you face fines, loss of license, prosecution, etc.

get caught driving with a blood THC higher then legally allowed after we enact legislation, same consequences.

Near future? 10 years I think, but then I'm not the target market.

Bummer. :pout:

how do you stop it from smouldering out?

Last edited:

cracker

Likes Dirt
Nope. Impared is Impared. Doesn't matter if you're sick or not, or if the drug is legal or not. You can still be done for driving while impared on legal prescription medication and that's the way it should be.
baring the fact they dont test for any legal substances...

only test for thc, meth and ecstasy

so no idea what happens if they pull you over and you have a head full of cocaine, lsd or other.

cracker

Likes Dirt
No different to alcohol, a perfectly legal drug. Get caught with a concentration over 0.05% Bac, you face fines, loss of license, prosecution, etc.

get caught driving with a blood THC higher then legally allowed after we inact legislation, same consequences.

legally allowed amount is 0 in your system, very vague but it covers everything, compare to alcohol where its based on your level of impairment.

cracker

Likes Dirt

get caught driving with a blood THC higher then legally allowed after we inact legislation, same consequences.

legally allowed amount is 0 in your system, very vague but it covers everything, compare to alcohol where its based on your level of impairment.
also i think most people who will be prescribed medical marijuana wont be fit to have a drivers licence in anycase, pretty easy to have your license removed due to a medical condition.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here

so no idea what happens if they pull you over and you have a head full of cocaine, lsd or other.
Not really, depending on the testing regime there are plenty of legal substances that will fail a drug test, the question there is more as to what level of testing they can carry out on a roadside that will also detect legal substances as opposed to what will work and have the same timeframe for testing as a roadside breath test.

Panadeine will flag a drug test as it has opiate derivatives. Sudafed will flag a drug test as its one of the base ingredients (the old school stuff, not that new shit sold in supermarkets) for meth. THC currently has no legal equivalent that one can argue (I'm told, though never had the reason to verify, that given appropriate testing, they can identify the actual brand of pain relief that has failed the drug test) whereas the other substances often do.

More importantly, somewhere around 50% of legal morphine supplies come from Tasmania, and heroin and other substances derived from poppies are pretty nasty substances. I fail to see the difference in terms of potential for legal supply of pharmaceuticals from feedstock in regional areas to the argument for legally produced marijuana derivatives used for the same purpose, particularly when its already carried out for other crops in Australia.
The entire supply chain has to be managed though, from farmer through to final form used for certain patients, rather than rather sick people queuing up at the local pharmacy for a cone rather than the dodgy dude in Nimbin.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green

Depending on the circumstances, a blood test will cover all those things and more.

A few semi-random thoughts from some who has known a lot of drug users, drunk drivers and other dodgyiness.

I understand why drunk driving in done on BAC, but thats absolute, not relative. I've known people who I would trust driving more at BAC 0.1 - 0.15 than others at 0.049.

Sure, lots of medications and illegal drugs can lead to a positive drugs blood test. As far as I know they aren't commonly done, and like swab tests are unevenly applied (you've got a much higher chance of being tested if you are non-white, or living in a lower socioeconomic area, etc.).

Generally, provided you're driving a decent car in decent condition in a decent area, don't smell of drugs, aren't being really obvious, and aren't being obnoxious, you wont get tested.

I really doubt that people who will be prescribed medical marijuana wont be fit to have a drivers licence. Its counterintuitive, or you can say its just jargonistic bs. From 'assessing fitness to drive - Austroads'-

"Opioids
There is little direct evidence that opioid analgesics such as hydromorphone, morphine or oxycodone have direct adverse effects on
driving behaviour. Cognitive performance is reduced early in treatment, largely due to their sedative effects, but neuroadaptation is
rapidly established. This means that patients on a stable dose of an opioid may not have a higher risk of a crash."

https://www.onlinepublications.austroads.com.au/downloads/AP-G56-13

The medical conditions where cannabis would be proscribed will not be any 'worse' than the ones they give opioids to. As far as neuroadaptation goes, I would say that the same applies to cannabis.

The funny thing is that the same document mentions antidepressants 'ability to impair', that 'most antipsychotics are sedating and have the potential to adversely affect driving skills' and that "Benzodiazepines are well known to increase the risk of a crash and are found in about 4% of fatalities and 16% of injured drivers taken to hospital."

Does this mean that we should also take away the licences of people on antidepressants, antipsychotics and/or benzodiazepines automatically? By the way, less than 2% of the population takes benzos.

If the level is set at zero for cannabis, that would be in my opinion unfair, and could lead to people doing worse medications/drugs instead.

I'd rather be in a car with a stoned person driving than someone on hydromorphone, morphine or oxycodone. Or benzodiazepines.

They really need a better system. But I guess this is what happens when a 1200kg+ vehicle capable of 110 kph+ is considered normal, not dangerous. Being hit with 100kg at 40kph is nothing comapred to a car. I mean..who would be worried about sharing a bike path with some stoned guy? Yep, thats right, if you've ridden the trials on the weekend you've already done it.

In the end, its far easier to kill yourself and/or others with a motor vehicle than a bike. Even if someone off their face enough to crash did get moving up to a decent speed, in my opinion most people will see the signs that the rider is out of it.

If the public considered motor vehicles to be as dangerous as I think they are, people would lose licences far more easily. But when its considered a necessity......

safreek

get caught driving with a blood THC higher then legally allowed after we enact legislation, same consequences.

how do you stop it from smouldering out?
yeah but the point is that in nsw it is zero tolerance, slightest reading and your fuct. Its possible to have a smoke then get a reading still a week later

had an operation a couple of years ago and had oxy proscribed, doctor said it was fine to drive. Laws have been around that allow police to arrest you if you seem to be impaired, on pot and speed the impairment is not noticeable so bring out the big stick to limit lifestyle choices. They have the capability to test for opiates and crap like diazapam which actually are more mind altering but choose not to do that. Wonder wly that would be, imagine taking 2 panadiene and loosing your licence.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Most of those heavy pain killers do say not to drive on the box...

Nothing wrong with a zero limit on bongs, pills, powders, tabs, resins, even alcohol. Zero is much easier to manage than a %. The impact of drugs on an individual is different for each person, some times unpredictable.