Melbourne storm stripped of Premierships

virgin321

Likes Dirt
Storm stripped of Premierships
By Jane Aubrey, WWOS16:00 AEST Thu Apr 22 2010

NRL boss David Gallop has announced Melbourne Storm will be stripped of the 2007 and 2009 Telstra Premierships, the Minor Premierships of 2006-8 and of its 2010 competition points after confirming a series of salary cap breaches amounting to at least $1.7million over five years.

Storm chief executive Matt Hansen and chairman Rob Moodie were informed of the ruling earlier this afternoon at NRL headquarters in Sydney.

The reigning premiers were title favourites this morning sat fourth on the NRL ladder after four wins and two losses.

The club will lose all competition points earned to date in 2010 and also the right to accumulate points going forward in 2010. Competition tables will record wins and losses but the club will not be awarded competition points on the basis of any wins.

The club has furthermore been fined $500,000 and will be forced to return $1.1million in prize-money with the prize-money being distributed evenly among the other fifteen clubs.

Individual awards by players will continue to be recognised but records will be adjusted to show that the Premiership is not recognised even though the result cannot be overturned. Neither Manly nor Parramatta will assume the Premiership titles in their respective years.

The investigations have revealed the Storm maintained a dual contract system and the club has today confirmed that side letters promising extra payments were stored in a secret file at the home of the chief executive.

The accounts were structured in such a way that it would appear the commitments were not apparent to either the Melbourne Storm Board or its owners.

The NRL has uncovered breaches estimated to be in excess of $1.7million over five years, around $400,000 in 2009 and with a projected breach of $700,000 in 2010.

"While the amount itself is cause for concern, the most damning indictment is the systematic attempt by persons within the club to conceal payments from the salary cap auditor and, it would now seem certain from the club’s Board and from its owners, on an ongoing basis," Gallop told a packed press conference.

"It was through this system that they were able to attract and retain some of the biggest names in rugby league.

"In doing so they have let down the game, the players and the fans of the Melbourne Storm. Clearly there were some individuals who knew what was going on and perhaps many who did not."

In 2002 Canterbury Bulldogs were stripped of 37 premiership points and were fined $500,000 for a salary cap breach, while in 2006 Auckland Warriors started the season with a four-point deficit, played out the rest of the season under a reduced salary cap and paid out a $430,000 fine.

I was shocked but happy. Opinions?

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Cheats. Throw them out of this yrs comp or throw away salary cap. No way Melbourne are only team cheating.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Massive sporting story. I could stomach it better if it was straight through the payroll and they 'overpaid' players, but this has been so calculated and intentional it's bordering on fraud. Peoples heads should and will roll for this.

Add to this they are due to play their first game in a purpose built stadium this weekend and should have been a huge celebration. They deserve everything they get but I do feel for the supporters and the people not involved.

Last edited:

Axumis

Squid
Just saw on 7Pm project there was a fan that drove like 70km to the storm HQ to say how gutted he was, old mate looked like he lost his shit when he found out, hopefully he knows its a game.

Still, they have been pretty worked over, and the publicity is going to ruin it for them, I always saw them as one of the more upstanding teams in the comp... or not. There might be a few transfers next season if the players are getting pay cuts now :p

'Ross

Eats Squid
I'll be wearing my 'MELBOURNE STORM 2009 PREMIERS' shirt to uni and work tomorrow, should go down pretty well:p

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
I wonder how many other club CEOs are frantically checking with their solicitors to make sure that all their side contracts and secret promises are water tight and well hidden? Sport is big business these days and most (if not all) top level clubs in any code look at salary caps as obstacles to be navigated around. Somehow I`m not surprised they got caught, but the penalty sounds over the top IMHO.

zids

Likes Dirt
Yea I find it fairly disappointing but in a way I do understand why they did it. If the organisers want the sport to grow then the cap needs to increased or the clubs should be let to buy/sell players without having to worry about the cap. But hey, they broke the rules, and the NRL are not taking it too lightly. NO points for the rest of the season! among other punishments

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^wow tat thats close to home.

anyway i bet the herald sun wont even post a decent story about it, as its not gAyFL.

heads of the sport only ever investigate the top team, and the storm have won for so long, they were looking for an excuse to bring back an even playing field, (my feeling on the subject)

'Ross

Eats Squid
anyway i bet the herald sun wont even post a decent story about it
When has the herald sun posted a decent story about anything? Ever?

Like Mad Hatter implied, every team breaches the cap one way or another, but I would think most of that is done 'outside' the club with the help of sponsors....making it hard to pin on the club. Its no surprise that it was the storm who copped it, they have been a target for years, I think the NRL has got what it wants and no other clubs will get caught out.

I also think the 'Storm' has no future in the NRL, and their best chance is to exit the comp this year, re-brand and come back with a new team for the new stadium. Playing the remainder of this year will be a farce for everyone.

dh1

Likes Dirt
but still playing this year and trying to do well might help give them a good name again.
not that I really care for football though

Warwick

Likes Dirt
I am a Melbournian, and just learned about this when reading the Herald Sun.
Never been to an NRL game. Never will go either, but this is very disappointing. What a waste of effort the last few years have been for so many players and supporters. Awful.
Are they all doing it?

tprmc78

Likes Dirt
I am a Melbournian, and just learned about this when reading the Herald Sun.
Never been to an NRL game. Never will go either, but this is very disappointing. What a waste of effort the last few years have been for so many players and supporters. Awful.
Are they all doing it?

I think the Bronco's, Roosters and the Sea Eagles should all be looking a little a little nervous.

CGR

Likes Dirt
so is this "rugby" still a sport? or some sort of entertainment-variety-show-media-circus? Over here i can't actually remember the last time I heard of any sporting results...

Last edited:

Plow King

Little bit.
1.7 million over 5 years divided by what... 30 players?

Errrrmmm... not that much...?

David Beckham earns that in a single game?

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
EELS..... 2009 premiers !!!!

Had to say it.. :D

Next target will be the Titans/Scott Prince and his "free house".

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Allegedly, some dude bet $10k on storm to get the spoon... paying 204:1 or some stupid number like that..... I hope he gets arrested!

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
Arrested for what? Being smart enough to play the odds?

Unless they had inside knowlege, it seems like a damn good bet. Dogs got stripped of points for a breach previously, and this case was bigger. Only risk now is if it happens to another team this season, technically they lose the bet...

EDIT: Bets will be refunded... http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/23/2880663.htm

Last edited: