Metal, Hardcore, Punk and everything inbetween

INRI

Likes Dirt
Lets talk about power violence/youth crew/crust and how good RATM cover is of in my eyes-minor threat is.
We could talk about how powerviolence was the biggest flash in the pan genre ever? some of my favourite records ever and the rest of it being pretty boring. infest, mitb, neanderthal, no comment etc. rule but most of the revival stuff is pretty crappy. Scored the Despise you discog 12" for 30 bucks (/100), pretty happy with that. Favourite relatively unknown (over here) record from that period is probably the PHC 12". Got it for 20 bucks, has some iffy moments but for the most part is pretty fantastic.

Only really good revival bands floating about are probably in disgust and scapegoat.

Lets also discuss Clint Shortfuses incredible record collection. 13000 (definitely not a typo) 7"s, all in alphabetical order. Has boxes of shit for sales at shows, some cult stuff just sitting at the back of the boxes sometime. Middle Class 7", Haymaker test press etc etc

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Come on NCR, I know deep down there's a little Manowar love in your heart. The bands I like are from a different side to metal. Hooray for Euro Power Metal.

Angra
Blind Guardian
Edguy
Gamma Ray
Helloween
Nightwish
Rhapsody
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius

Also enjoy metal classics Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Megadeth etc.

Hahaha. Two of my mates played with Leftover Crack for their Aus and NZ tour, it was probably them
I knew you'd be the one to post the bands I can appreciate. :p

About 1/2 of that list I listen to regularly a lot with some of the more folk metal stuff of Wolfenmond, Korpiklaani etc to spice up the metal section.

Still see alot of time for the female fronted metal bands eg Midnattsol/ Nemensea/ Epica/ Dark Princess/ Visions of Atlantis etc ala mostly considered gothic metal as such. If people enjoy this along with the likes of tristania, 69 eyes etc V.A. has an 8 mixed disc collection worth grabbing.

Into eternity also get a good mention for the heavier side of life, the bi-vocals actually work for them.

I found some old stabbing westward (mid 90s) music, few alright songs. They were unlucky to get the break they needed as their competitors managed to break through.

Do you ever go down the route of "EBM", "dark electro", "electro-industrial" Joy or purely instrumental based?

Last edited:

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Deez Nuts stage show was always uninspired. Relies entirely on kids singing along. As for Grips and Tonic, pretty much the worst hip hop to come out in ages.
Im mates with a couple of the mourning tide boys and i thought it was wierd they did the Deez nuts tour especially since there new album is less core, dale said they had to drop all the new songs to do a straight up set.

at the moment ive been listening to a lot of as i lay dying, the devil wears prada(btw if your going to wear one of their shirts in public you WILL get 14 year old scene chicks saying "OMG!! i LOVE that band where you get your shirt?!?") and any bands that had ed butcher in them (eternal lord, the hunt for ida wave, iktpq) and august burns red etc

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Come on NCR, I know deep down there's a little Manowar love in your heart. The bands I like are from a different side to metal. Hooray for Euro Power Metal.
I forgot your post. Sorry dude, my rant wasn't directed at you, more the kids who can't get past mallcore, then accuse anyone who might actually have been there, done that and left it far behind of being closed minded, when it's infact them that won't listen to anything that's not a well known "name" b(r)and.

Quoting first post purely to let NCR and RCOH know that High on Fire supported, and that the sunday show was so far off selling out that pretty much anybody that has ever put any bands on in sydney had tickets under 20 bucks available. Misztal strikehard was dishing them out for free. Bummed I didn't go.
I for one, am very pissed off about this. Very little official promotion of High on Fire due to the last minute inclusion. I found out on the grapevine and not through any official channels about a fortnight before the show. The first show had already sold out, and i sure as hell wasn't going to pay 80 bucks to see one of my favourite bands play to a bunch of disenterested teenagers (see above rant). I almost went down there to see if I could get in cheaply. I didn't and I should have. I'm kicking myself now.

Hopefully this is a precursor to HOF touring the new album sometime next year.

Matt H

Eats Squid

Artist: Gorilla Biscuits
Album: Start Today
Genre: Hardcore/Youth Crew
get it here

Artist: The Mob
Album: Upset the System EP
Genre: Hardcore
download from KBD records

Artist: Boris
Album: Feedbacker
Genre: Drone/Sludge Metal
get it here

Artist: Andrew Jackson Jihad
Album: People Who Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People In The World
Genre: Folk Punk
get it here

Artist: Charles Bronson
Album: Youth Attack
Genre: Hardcore/Powerviolence
get it here

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
(btw if your going to wear one of their shirts in public you WILL get 14 year old scene chicks saying "OMG!! i LOVE that band where you get your shirt?!?")
Actually, on that note, does anyone else here have large amounts of band clothing?

I hhhaaveee

Winds of Plague x 3
BMTH x 1
I Killed the Prom Queen x 2
The Ghost Inside x 2
Born of Osiris x 1
Suicide Silence x 2
As Blood Runs Black x 1
Bury Your Dead x 1
Sea Of Treachery x 3
Whitechapel x 1

Sea of Treachery singlet x 1
The Red Shore singlet x 1

Suicide Silence shorts x 1

17 shirts, 2 singlets and a pair of shorts! Woo!

Actually, on that note, does anyone else here have large amounts of band clothing?

I hhhaaveee

Winds of Plague x 3
BMTH x 1
The Ghost Inside x 2
Born of Osiris x 1
Suicide Silence x 2
As Blood Runs Black x 1
Bury Your Dead x 1
Sea Of Treachery x 3
Whitechapel x 1

that is lot of merch haha ive only got the tdwp and an AILD shirt:(

NCR600

Likes Dirt

Artist: Andrew Jackson Jihad
Album: People Who Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People In The World
Genre: Folk Punk
get it here

Artist: Charles Bronson
Album: Youth Attack
Genre: Hardcore/Powerviolence
get it here
These are band sanctioned free downloads? I might pick up those two. Cheers mate!

I hhhaaveee

Winds of Plague x 3
BMTH x 1
The Ghost Inside x 2
Born of Osiris x 1
Suicide Silence x 2
As Blood Runs Black x 1
Bury Your Dead x 1
Sea Of Treachery x 3
Whitechapel x 1

I have 3 900 x 450mm plastic boxes full of band tees. I rarely wear any of them these days, but still buy the ones I like occasionally.

I probably should catalog & photograph them properly, there would be 80 odd shirts dating back to the late 80's in there.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't exactly call them sanctioned... per se... :eek:

(but I do own them all except for the mob and charles bronson)
Well here's one that is:

Kowloon Walled City.
SF Sludgecore band. I've pimped these guys here before, strictly because they've got high quality downlaods of their records on their website for free. I like this, and I like the band, so I bought the vinyl. It's beautiful quality stuff. the best part is that I'll never have to play it unneccesarily, because I've already got the digital!

I love bands that do this. I've ordered some Fall of Efrafa vinyl already because they market the same way. It's the way of the future.

http://inthewalledcity.com/music/

INRI

Likes Dirt
Good post Matt H. This is getting picky but I tend to shy away from calling Charles Bronson powerviolence. Even though it came out on Slap-A-Ham and SixTwoFive it sorta follows a completely different aesthetic imo. I reckon the best Charles Bronson tracks I've heard are on the Possessed to Skate Vol 2. comp LP, which also features Spazz, Asshole Parade, Palatka and Despise You. I've never bothered with the CB discog cd either cause I can't be arsed sifting through 300+ tracks for the 60 or so good ones.

With that said, my kind of PV. These are all fairly obvious but definitely the standouts imo:

Man Is the Bastard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUVJJjSPYwM

Despise You:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KfsCN98aeI

No Comment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7ZMSG3fnQ

Infest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMEqtOy5k7A

Crossed Out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p21ZOrZHDEI

DirtJumperHarry

Likes Dirt
Hey all, dose anybody know if I Killed The Prom Queen on hiatus or is finished for good. I always thought that they were finished, but there have been myspace posts and other stuff saying they're just on hiatus. I rekon that's a fair load of bull, seeing as though Crafter is in 'Confessions' JJ is in 'Deez Nutz' and sean is in 'Bring Me The Horizon'. I'm pretty sure they're finished, but I really hope they do get back together, IKTPQ was farkin siiiiiiiick!:D

Matt3134

Cannon Fodder
Hey all, dose anybody know if I Killed The Prom Queen on hiatus or is finished for good. I always thought that they were finished, but there have been myspace posts and other stuff saying they're just on hiatus. I rekon that's a fair load of bull, seeing as though Crafter is in 'Confessions' JJ is in 'Deez Nutz' and sean is in 'Bring Me The Horizon'. I'm pretty sure they're finished, but I really hope they do get back together, IKTPQ was farkin siiiiiiiick!:D
Its Jona thats in BMTH, but there was always talk even when they first broke up that they were just going on hiatus. I don't really care either way, I didn't really like them to begin with but if they start up again, I hope Crafter stays in Confession, he was shit in IKTPQ.

Camz_47

Likes Bikes
Anybody here listen or heard of brokenCYDE?

There more emocore, but it's techno-screamo so it's interesting.

Give it a go ;)
You are kidding right they are possibly the lamest band I have ever seen
how can you recommend people to listen to them.
Get Crunk you Emo

duck_man

Likes Dirt
Promies where so 2007 :p

JJ haves Deez Nuts witch dose not seem to be slowing down any time soon, and why would you want it too after a huge tour of Europe. Also JJ and Louie Knucks have Grips And Tonic, the Hip Hop project witch is also gaining in popularity.

Crafter has Confession, and they are hitting the road with Parkway on there regional tour this month and there was talk of them heading over seas soon too. The new album Cancer, was very well done, and hits the mark for the sound they where aiming for.

And yes as matt said, it’s Jona in BMTH, if you didn’t know he has only been in the band for a short time, after leaving Prom Queen for Bleeding Through.

Kev now plays in In Trenches, out of Melbourne; witch is also Ben the front man for Day Of Contempt’s new band. I have seen them play a few times, and for what it worth I think they will go quite well!

No idea what Sean is doing now, last I saw he was playing for Deez Nuts, but he dropped out a wile ago.

So long story short, all the members have new projects now, and they are well established, I cant see IKTPQ making a big return any time in the near future, maybe they will get together in a few years for a studio album, but who really knows.

O PS, check out the band Bermuda from Sydney ;)

duck_man

Likes Dirt

I hhhaaveee

Winds of Plague x 3
BMTH x 1
The Ghost Inside x 2
Born of Osiris x 1
Suicide Silence x 2
As Blood Runs Black x 1
Bury Your Dead x 1
Sea Of Treachery x 3
Whitechapel x 1

Haha, I have more than you :p

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have no faith in IKTPQ ever existing again...

These are band sanctioned free downloads? I might pick up those two. Cheers mate!

I have 3 900 x 450mm plastic boxes full of band tees. I rarely wear any of them these days, but still buy the ones I like occasionally.

I probably should catalog & photograph them properly, there would be 80 odd shirts dating back to the late 80's in there.
AHah wow, thats rad! Do it :)

Haha, I have more than you :p
Damn you :p

Same sorta bands?