Mick Fanning is one lucky SOB

A very, very lucky man (as too Julian Wilson).

Intense seeing both of them brought to tears in their separate interviews, likewise the attack footage. Couldn't tell if it was Pottz but as the attack was happening/cameras were rolling you could hear someone in the commentary feed utter a loud "Holy shit!".

Heavy day at the Bay.

T.3

Likes Dirt
I heard Julian Wilson paddled towards the shark to try and help Mick. If thats true that is genuine courage and character.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Really glad it ended the way it did with the shark just taking off and leaving them alone. It would have been horrific to have that footage being the last thing we'd see f Mick Fanning.

It'll no doubt be an endless argument but it goes to show how much of a problem sharks aren't. I cannot remember hearing of a shark attack in a surfing comp and this comp was held in waters that sharks frequent.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Really glad it ended the way it did with the shark just taking off and leaving them alone. It would have been horrific to have that footage being the last thing we'd see f Mick Fanning.

It'll no doubt be an endless argument but it goes to show how much of a problem sharks aren't. I cannot remember hearing of a shark attack in a surfing comp and this comp was held in waters that sharks frequent.
'Kin Oath on both counts.

Even though I knew the outcome when I saw the video, bugger me if I didn't pucker a little at the thought of what might be going on behind that wave that obscured much of the 'action'

ClintC

Likes Dirt
Some terrible quality footage of the interviews after the attack.

[video=youtube;QvBAzqQaKMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvBAzqQaKMw[/video]

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Mick started going into shock once on the land. On the boat he was charging with adrenalin but on shore once he realised he was safe he started going downhill.

I really thought he was going under as the wave came through and he disappeared from the camera.

Such courage and will to survive.

Wish him the best to recover from this.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
My heart sunk watching that.... so stoked that he miraculously got out of that. Massive props to Juls too, such a brave instinct.

Phwoar, I got a rush just watching it, I can't imagine the adrenaline of staring mortality in the eye, and it blinking first.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Mick's mum was watching it live on TV
She already lost her other son Sean to a car accident many years ago
Very glad he's Ok - I've never met him, but have read lots about him
He's a great competitor and a great person

I'm also glad that the hysteria over sharks is not as present in SA

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
https://youtu.be/hzayuHXnGzk

Will be tough for Mick and Julian to get their heads back in the right space I'd say.

Just watched Mick's mum interviewed on ABC TV, what a horrifying experience watching that happen to your child live and completely helpless.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Just watched Mick's mum interviewed on ABC TV, what a horrifying experience watching that happen to your child live and completely helpless.
Oh shit, that must have been horrifying for her but imagine the feeling when that jet ski arrived!

A few hours have passed now and it's struck me that this incident is so much more than what I first thought. Not a scratch, nothing. He could even use his board again!
Do you think Mr Shark knows what fuss he's created? He's probably a good guy in the pond and renowned for being the joker in the group by frightening the fuck out of seals of humanoids every few days. This one will surely get tons of likes on his Facebook. ;)

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Oh shit, that must have been horrifying for her but imagine the feeling when that jet ski arrived!

A few hours have passed now and it's struck me that this incident is so much more than what I first thought. Not a scratch, nothing. He could even use his board again!
Do you think Mr Shark knows what fuss he's created? He's probably a good guy in the pond and renowned for being the joker in the group by frightening the fuck out of seals of humanoids every few days. This one will surely get tons of likes on his Facebook. ;)
Probably spams sale threads on Sharkin.net though, bet the mods have a hard time with him...

Boom King

The moorey of the shark world, things just needed a little stirring.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Maybe Mr Shark just wanted to high five the Aussie legend and has been misunderstood? It's all well and good to have a man get out of the shark cage and claim to high five a shark but when it's the other way around, we all think the shark is just after some tucker. Maybe it's affection towards Aussies!

Boom King

Maybe Mr Shark just wanted to high five the Aussie legend and has been misunderstood? It's all well and good to have a man get out of the shark cage and claim to high five a shark but when it's the other way around, we all think the shark is just after some tucker. Maybe it's affection towards Aussies!
If you lived your life amongst all those South African accents, you'd be completely stoked to hear a couple of Aussie's paddling about.