Mid size SUV recommendations.

moorey

call me Mia
Wifey 'needs' a new (second hand) bus, looking at something in the mid SUV category. Reliable, economical (diesel preferred, so I can fill it with petrol), doesn't need to be 4wd, but preferred.
Budget is pretty lame, $15-20k. Any recommendations? Not just 'I have this, and therefore it's the shiz' or 'I've heard that....'
Can't have leather. Meat is murder, dairy is rape etc....

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Rav is reliable and bullet proof, if somewhat vanilla. Don't think you'll find a distillate model for your budget though. Brother had a pug but it was putrid, got an xtrail next, is a good rig, if you can live with the ridiculous dash, shoebox body and plastic body panels.

Ivan

Eats Squid
No Diesel, but your gonna pay for that type of economy up front in that price range.

I've had a 2007 outlander since new, its now got a 100k on it and its never had an issue. Its the first of the VG shape,

Secondhand prices for these have really plummeted in the last couple of years due to lots of ex-fleet and rental vehicles hitting the market. So they are good value, especially compared to others of the same vintage. The V6 won't be economical (I have that one) but the 4 banger probably is, and when I test drove it it seemed ok.

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Crv is a good solid reliable rig just like the rav. It's pretty clever how the seats fold down with just a quick pull of a lever.
But like the rav it's quite vanilla.
A 2.4 AWD would be the pick. Also comes in a 2.0 in fwd.

moorey

call me Mia
Rav looks too small to me. Thinking more xtrail size, knuckles.
Pug has been great...even handled petrol...but it's getting tired now, and it has about 3" ground clearance, which doesn't suit our rural setting. I haven't even looked at what is available in diesel in this type if bus yet. We won't be towing or needing lots of power, but rack up a lot of km's living out where we do
Ivan, haven't looked at an outlander. Will do so. Thanks.

moorey

call me Mia
Vanilla doesn't bother me these days...just want it to go, drive well, and not cost a mint to service and get parts for (the pugs down side)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Subaru Forester or Liberty/Outback maybe? The Lib/Outback (same body, just taller s'pension on the Outback) are a bit longer than the "Foz", so can carry a bit more stuff if the rugrats need it. Diesel is relatively new for Subies, so those versions are probably still out of your budget, but the 2.5 petrol still does the job pretty well. It won't catapult youinto the back seat when you put your foot down, but it's not a complete luggard - I tow 600-odd kg to Adelaide & back three times a year with my '98 Outback & it doesn't complain too much. Reliability is great (Subaru are renowned for it) - mine had about 245k on it when I got it, and in the 120k I've added to it it's only needed the routine belt change at 100k interval & a clutch as far as major stuff goes.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
I have a 2010 T31 ST-L sex-trail.

Fantastic car.

Leather, heated seats, non weird dash like the T30 had, 2000kg towing and easy to fit the bike in the back.

Also good to drive as it doesn't feel massive or rolly like a lot of other similar SUV's.

For your budget, you will easily find a good one.

scblack

Leucocholic
I would be looking at an X-Trail. They are vanilla, they understeer as a rule, they are just a box with wheels. But they have the diesel, they have reasonable bush capability, they have very decent size, the interior is very flexible, decent power.

X-ttail would be my option for your needs.

Axion

Squid
Nissan murano are really good value now 2009/2010 you should be able to find for around 20 g's. Reasonably small, good looking with a decent interior and they actually have an engine with some get up and go. They are not diesel but they are not hugely thirsty either.

moorey

call me Mia
X-Trail was one on the list of cars that don't horrify me. I actuality didn't know they came in diesel. No leather wanted though. :behindsofa:

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
The later model Honda CRV is a great car. I used to drive them for my old work from time to time. You will pay more for these than an outlander but they drive really well.

I don't mid the trail and the fuel economy of the mid 2000's models are a bit better than the CRV. The CRV makes use of its internal space better.

CRV doesn't come in a diesel in the budget you are looking for but they manage 9ltrs per 100 quite consistently.

The CX9 is a bit out of your budget I think and the CX7 is a bit buzzy and heavy on fuel for what it is.

moorey

call me Mia
The later model Honda CRV is a great car. I used to drive them for my old work from time to time. You will pay more for these than an outlander but they drive really well.

I don't mid the trail and the fuel economy of the mid 2000's models are a bit better than the CRV. The CRV makes use of its internal space better.

CRV doesn't come in a diesel in the budget you are looking for but they manage 9ltrs per 100 quite consistently.

The CX9 is a bit out of your budget I think and the CX7 is a bit buzzy and heavy on fuel for what it is.
ta. Wifey mentioned her friends recommend a Honda. Haven't started even looking yet. Will check them out. Ta cobs.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Another vote on the outback. Not as softroader looking as the xtrail/crv stuff but tons of room still, drive brilliantly, great reliability and cost less to run than the diesel nav. My wife has an older 2002 unit with the 3l v6, my neighbour has the next gen 2006 in 2.5l and both are amazing on road and off.

I wasnt expecting much from a $7000 car, but that outback has made a subie fan out of me...

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
I swapped a diesel pug for a diesel outback. What a relief. Similar environment to you, semi rural, part dirt commute. The pug was a pain in the arse, lots of niggles. had the outback for a year, hasn't missed a beat, more than enough room for two kids and stuff. Yeah, it is a white outback, and it did come with leather elbow patches and a public service stick on beard but it does what it says on the tin, not like that temperamental French thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

effarr

Likes Dirt
I'll put another vote in for the Subies. I've had a base model Forester for 10 years since new (400,000km) and it's barely missed a beat. Parents have the new(er) Diesel Forester and it goes well. Diesel Forester does ~6.5l/100km (and my old beast still does about 8.5-9).