Mid size SUV recommendations.

moorey

call me Mia
Nothing quite like a warm arsehole is there.

Whatever you get Moorey, I'd recomend silk graphics.com for a sticker, same font as enve, but with the word "diesel" in a nice curve above the fuel filler cap.
Can I get a petrol, and bang on a diesel sticker, chopsticks style?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Can I get a petrol, and bang on a diesel sticker, chopsticks style?
As long as you're in an ironic mindset at the pump, yes.

Edit to add some on topic stuff, cx5 diesel is great, previous wife's car was the cx7 which have no trouble at all, but then neither did any of my previous dozen cars - maybe it's the fuel I uses?

Note - except a toyota - I blew that sucker up with only 9000km on the clock

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Nothing quite like a warm arsehole is there.

Pretty sure you're meant to sit on them, not insert them.

I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say that every Honda I have owned (4 I think?) has run like a swiss watch. My vote is for a CRV.

Rabble bukes

Likes Dirt
I really like my forester, but i don't think You could really go wrong with most of the cars mentioned here. You just need to keep a daily check on internet car sales sites, gumtree, and other classifieds for a good deal, you have to sort through a lot of junk, but there's always a few that are priced to sell.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
This........
So true. Choosing the latest car, I told the wife in so uncertain terms that the cx5 diesel was crap and not an option and what she needed was a kia sportage or Hyundai 35 in the povo pack but diesel.

So we ( I mean she) end up with the top of the line bloody cx5 - obviously I put my foot down, but it was stamped on with a stiletto heel.

Just drove the thing on freeway this morning , and regrettably, her indoors was right - jeep is now secondary vehicle.......

wavike

Likes Dirt
So true. Choosing the latest car, I told the wife in so uncertain terms that the cx5 diesel was crap and not an option and what she needed was a kia sportage or Hyundai 35 in the povo pack but diesel.

So we ( I mean she) end up with the top of the line bloody cx5 - obviously I put my foot down, but it was stamped on with a stiletto heel.

Just drove the thing on freeway this morning , and regrettably, her indoors was right - jeep is now secondary vehicle.......
Kia and Hyundai have come a long way, but they still are Kia and Hyundai . Whereas Mazda says I'll got class and taste, but don't need a Merc or BM to show it.

I had a Xtrail (petrol) hire car in Tassie for 4 weeks a couple of years back - would be my choice for space, reliability. 10l/100klm was good for the size, load and terrain. Would have been my choice for our next car, but needed a car for youngest to learn to drive and replacement for misses old hatch, so Mazda 3 it was.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My X-Trail has been a great car. We picked up a demo 2 years ago with low km for a pretty good price. It is Comfortable to drive and the towing capacity is good. I like the old style dash board with nobs, dials and av input for my iPods. No need for a interactive screen in my opinion. Huge boot space, I can get an extra large fat bike in the back with the seats folded down with out taking the wheels off the bike. It is also easy to clean after MTB rides.

We are currently looking of a 6 or 7 seat mid SUV for my wife. The fiat freemont ticks all the right boxes. We are also looking at a Subaru Tribeca 2nd hand. Any thoughts or experiences with these cars?

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My mate is selling a clean, very low Kms outlander vrx v6 with all the bells and whistles for 16k. It's bargain, but in Sydney. Pm to deal.

Otherwise, I'm driving a gen 2 forster which is awesome fun because it's quite small and chuckable. Very reliable, expensive to service though. And the auto sucks, manny is much better. The newer foresters loose the chuckability, but are a bit more comfortable. They're getting pricey though.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Another (slightly biased) vote for the Xtrail.

Great to drive, comes in diesel, back seats fold dead flat to easily fit in bikes, swags etc. Also the hidden drawers in the boot are great for things you don't want left on display.

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
Been considering a similar dilemma for a while now myself. We have two cars at the moment (2005 Focus and 2003 Mitsubishi Challenger) and the plan is to drop down to a single car and save a bit, as we currently have no need for two.

The idea is to meet somewhere in the middle of the two cars we have now and get a smaller SUV. The budget from selling our current vehicles will be in the order of $15k, so have been considering all the usual suspects in this class (Outlander, CRV, Forester, X-Trail, Grand Vitara, etc....) and when compared alongside our own list of wants, it has pretty much boiled down to two:

T31 X-Trail and Renault Koleos

Coincidentally, I understand that these two cars share a platform and mechanicals. The X-Trail is well-regarded in this thread, but does anyone have an opinion/feedback on the Renault? My wife does lean towards that one a little more, as the Nissan is a bit 'boxy' for her liking. (To be fair, she will be driving it 95% of the time.)

For the record, the chances of ever heading off-road are pretty minute, I don't think I have even engaged 4WD in the five years I have owned the Challenger and I don't see that changing too much (unfortunately!).

(Sorry for thread hijack, hopefully it's still relevant!)

MasterOfReality

After forever
Grand Vitara?

Mid size suv with real off road capability if you need it. Might not get far without a lift kit but at least it has dual range transfer case.

Diesels (Renault donk?) do have dpf issues though.

Current design is really long in the tooth (dates back to 2005/2006) so resale is shit, second hand bargains abound.

Xtrail kills it for interior space though.

redbruce

Eats Squid
T31 X-Trail and Renault Koleos

Coincidentally, I understand that these two cars share a platform and mechanicals. The X-Trail is well-regarded in this thread, but does anyone have an opinion/feedback on the Renault? My wife does lean towards that one a little more, as the Nissan is a bit 'boxy' for her liking. (To be fair, she will be driving it 95% of the time.)
Personally I'd stay clear of the Renault (or Nissan running Renault mechanical in their platform share arrangement). Nissan running gear will be fine (although there have been front suspension issues), its what Reanault seem to do to Nissans design at its Korean factory that generally ends in tears.

Multiple modern Renaults- both sedan and commercial (5 in all) have been through the extended family (mostly the women but brother in law got sucked in on commercials) in recent years and ALL have been unreliable, expensive to maintain and suffered significant depreciation. All vehicles were disposed of before warranty ran out. All owners have moved back to Jap based cars (albeit mostly made in Thailand) and are having the usual positive asian car experience.

Last edited:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It hasnt been mentioned but do not buy a volkswagen... We have a fleet of 20 odd cars at work which include Tiguans, Amaroks and Passats. We have had untold issues with all of them. We are now switching to Mazda.

I personally have a 2.4l petrol Outback and like all the others in this thread cant fault it. Never had problems and is efficent for what it is. Room enough for our family of 5 which is currenlty using a booster and a baby seat as well. Easy height for roof rack mounts too, no need for a step ladder to put the bike on top if required...

You should be able to get something post 2011 with 100kish on it for around your budget.