Mid size SUV recommendations.

moorey

call me Mia
Sorted. Compromised with the wife. Got a 5 seat, 4wd, late model, low km x trail as per my recommendation, but wife decided on a petrol auto.
2012, full history, only 40,000km, $21k. A little more than we could really afford, but I didn't let the cunts take our current car for the pissweak trade in price they offered, so I'll clean it up, rwc it and get at least twice what they offered and come out a little ahead.
Ta all...let's see how it runs on diesel. :behindsofa:

redbruce

Eats Squid
Wikipedia? Well documented? Seriously?

Plus half the items on that list have no citation, and the other half are references over 3 years old.
Google DSG reliability/issues, plenty of contemporary evidence.

The wiki was just an easy digested summary.

VW's well publicised belated Australian recall was only earlier this year (and rest of world last year). RACV, Cars Guide, etc continue to express doubts about them and recommend against them second hand.

Plenty in the used car trade won't touch them, despite high depreciation making them appear attractive at first blush. Well known reliability issues and high repair cost ($6k - $14k) makes them too higher risk.

I have many friends in auto trade, mechanics; consulting auto engineers and service managers for large auto groups (covering all major Euro and Asian brands). None have a nice word for DSG of any persuasion, at least from the perspective of long term private ownership.

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Google DSG reliability then!

The wiki was just an easy digested summary.

VW's well publicised belated Australian recall was only earlier this year (and rest of world last year).

I have many friends in auto trade, mechanics; consulting auto engineers and service managers for large auto groups (which cover all major Euro and Asian brands).

None have a nice word for DSG of any persuasion, at least from the perspective of long term private ownership.

Plenty in the used car trade won't touch them, despite high depreciation making them appear attractive at first blush.
Yep. I'm a mechanic and wouldn't buy any car with a DSG style box. Not from any manufacturer.
Shudder, software glitches, shudder, calibration issues, shudder, re-learns, shudder and some of them suffer from shudder.

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Sorted. Compromised with the wife. Got a 5 seat, 4wd, late model, low km x trail as per my recommendation, but wife decided on a petrol auto.
2012, full history, only 40,000km, $21k. A little more than we could really afford, but I didn't let the cunts take our current car for the pissweak trade in price they offered, so I'll clean it up, rwc it and get at least twice what they offered and come out a little ahead.
I'll give you $1.50, one sock and an apple core (Pink Lady) for the frog-mobile. Please don't fill the tank prior to sale.

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
Still at the dealer. Gave them a holding deposit, to see if I can move the pug in a week.
Yessssss.........Good luck with that. No-one sniffed at my 307 wagon, sat on car-sales for a month. 2006 model with 220kms for $7K ono...

In the end I put an ad in the local rag - and an old dairy farmer rang up the next day and handed over $5K to use as his 'special events car' (funerals and weddings). Never underestimate a farmer's love of the diesel rebate.

moorey

call me Mia
Yessssss.........Good luck with that. No-one sniffed at my 307 wagon, sat on car-sales for a month. 2006 model with 220kms for $7K ono...

In the end I put an ad in the local rag - and an old dairy farmer rang up the next day and handed over $5K to use as his 'special events car' (funerals and weddings). Never underestimate a farmer's love of the diesel rebate.
I don't care if I get no more than the dealer offered for trade in. It's the principal. I have issues.
I reckon it's easily worth $7.5 with rwc. No qualms taking $5k, just refuse to let the dealer get it for $3k without even wanting to look at it. Its a 2005 407 hdi wagon, body 9/10, interior 8/10, if dealer had even said he'd look at it and then offer a price, I mighta been more inclined to work with him.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Yep. I'm a mechanic and wouldn't buy any car with a DSG style box. Not from any manufacturer.
Shudder, software glitches, shudder, calibration issues, shudder, re-learns, shudder and some of them suffer from shudder.
There fixed it for you.

My next door neighbour was until recently the National service manager for one of the largest auto groups in Australia and said DSG was the bain of the service industry. Service get caught between the unhappy and understandably irrate customer and the manufacturer who cant fix it. He said many sales staff will do their best to talk potential customers out of that option.

Last edited:

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Is it an ST model? If so there is a simple way to make the steering wheel buttons light up (everything is there, you just have to run one wire). All other models already have the steering wheel buttons working, for some reason the base model was left out.

moorey

call me Mia
Is it an ST model? If so there is a simple way to make the steering wheel buttons light up (everything is there, you just have to run one wire). All other models already have the steering wheel buttons working, for some reason the base model was left out.
Yeah, ST was only possible option for us in petrol. The rest have leather seats.
Havent picked it up yet, so I'll look into that. It's got quite a few optional extras than the base st, but I'm yet to have a good look over it.
Cheers for that.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Yeah, ST was only possible option for us in petrol. The rest have leather seats.
Havent picked it up yet, so I'll look into that. It's got quite a few optional extras than the base st, but I'm yet to have a good look over it.
Cheers for that.
Here is the link for the modification anyway. http://baustralianxtrail.runboard.com/t129059 - pretty good forum actually, full of Xtrail extremists.

No ST model has steering wheel lights connected out of the factory, so if it light's up on yours the previous owner has done it himself.

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
My ST-L didn't have them wired in. Only took 5min to resolve that issue but weird how they did this. Can't see any reason for them not to light up.