Middle East situation

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

ForkinGreat

George Washington warned against in his 1796 farewell address. “A passionate attachment of one nation for another produces a variety of evils,” Washington said. “Sympathy for the favorite nation, facilitating the illusion of an imaginary common interest in cases where no real common interest exists… betrays the former into a participation in the quarrels and wars of the latter without adequate inducement or justification.”

To protect against this kind of passionate attachment, the United States has laws in place that forbid foreign governments from wielding certain kinds of influence or lobbying. Every foreign country represented in Washington by foreign agents must register under the Foreign Agents Registration Act. Under its terms, the country in question is absolutely banned from participating in or influencing American elections. Every contact the agents have with Congress must be reported to the Department of Justice, along with how and where they spend their resources.

This law applies to Canada as much as it does to Russia (although Russian interference in our political process is now one of the biggest issues in our political life). It also applies to Israel.

But it does not apply to the Israel lobby as represented by AIPAC, which is heavily involved in our political system, funding candidates who are perceived to be “good on Israel,” and defunding incumbents who fail to subscribe to the favored foreign state’s agenda.

How does AIPAC get away with it?

It gets away with it because AIPAC’s founder, I.L. Kenen, came up with a legal loophole by which AIPAC is defined not as a lobby for a foreign state but for Americans who support that state. It’s a critical distinction that makes AIPAC’s dominance over U.S. Middle East policy possible.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I spent last night learning about Genie Energy, their explorations around the region, and some of the owners. It was an enlightening conversation.

ForkinGreat

I spent last night learning about Genie Energy, their explorations around the region, and some of the owners. It was an enlightening conversation.
There appears to be a huge natural gas reserve under the east Mediterranean sea. If israel conquers northern Lebanon, that would possibly help facilitate a gas pipeline to Europe.

Greece, Israel, Italy and Cyprus are now set to sign an agreement to build the world’s longest and deepest undersea natural gas pipeline, EastMed, to transport Israeli and Cypriot natural gas to Europe. The project is backed by the European Union, and Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo is expected to push forward the $7-billion project that will help wean Europe off Russian natural gas during a visit to Israel later this month.

“A gas pipeline will run from here and will link us to the gas economy of Europe. It will reach our Arab neighbors,” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Jan. 31 while taking delivery of the foundation of the platform that will pump natural gas from Leviathan. “This is a great revolution — we are turning the state of Israel into an energy power. An independent Israel will not depend on anyone for its energy needs.”

Lebanon on Thursday warned that the planned EastMed pipeline from Israel to the European Union must not be allowed to violate its maritime borders. Beirut has an unresolved maritime border dispute with Israel — which it regards as an enemy — over a sea area of about 330 square miles.
Mike Pompeo is set to visit Beirut as part of his tour of the region, and Netanyahu said the secretary of State will help with Israel’s plan to build the pipeline.
This could explain why the Israelis are so hell-bent on erasing the Palestinians, but also attacking Lebanon.

ForkinGreat

Google: Don't be Evil.**

**Also Google: LOL We can be evil, our PR team just pretends that we aren't.

Project Nimbus has proven deeply contentious within Google and Amazon, catalyzing a wave of employee dissent unseen since the controversy over Google’s now-defunct contract to bolster the U.S. military drone program.

While workers from both companies have publicly protested the Nimbus contract, Google employees have been particularly vocal. Following anti-Nimbus sit-ins organized at the company’s New York and Sunnyvale, California, offices, Google fired 50 employees it said participated in the protests.
Emaan Haseem, a cloud computing engineer at Google until she was fired after participating in the Sunnyvale protest, told The Intercept she thinks the company needs to be frank with its employees about what their labor ends up building.

“A lot of us signed up or applied to work at Google because we were trying to avoid working at terrible unethical companies,” she said in an interview. Haseem graduated college in 2022 and said she consciously avoided working for weapons manufacturers like Raytheon or large energy companies.

“Then you just naively join, and you find out it’s all the same. And then you’re just kind of angry,” she said. “Why are we acting any different? Why are we pretending that because my logo is colorful and has round letters that I’m any better than Raytheon?”

ForkinGreat

I have never witnessed, at the scene of a protest, the use of police power so disproportionate to the type of demonstration taking place.
Antisemitism allegations are cynically deployed against anti-Zionist speech and twisted to permit every manner of authoritarian abuse — including a genocidal war.
It is no accident that this indefensible police crackdown comes in service of an indefensible war. The very extremity of protest repression speaks to desperation on the part of institutions of the American establishment.

Israel’s decimation of Gaza has — at least for millions more people — given lie to the redemptive myths of the post-World War II political liberal order. Young people, even the children of the elite, even children of Zionists, are standing with Palestine. Their peaceful acts of protest count as disruptive because they count as un-American — which should be a badge of honor amid a U.S.-backed genocide.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Nothing fascist to see here, keep moving.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05...eera-news-network-netanyahu-cabinet/103807320

Also, a searing article from the president elect of Indonesia.
https://www.economist.com/by-invita...nt-elect-accuses-the-west-of-double-standards

(Although Prabowo got his hands a little dirty with Catholic blood in Timor Leste as well. He also conveniently ignores the ever louder and insistent calls from within and without Israel to stop the madness in Gaza.)

It's almost like Israel is walking off the precipice following a single madman...

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

ForkinGreat

Nothing fascist to see here, keep moving.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05...eera-news-network-netanyahu-cabinet/103807320

Also, a searing article from the president elect of Indonesia.
https://www.economist.com/by-invita...nt-elect-accuses-the-west-of-double-standards

(Although Prabowo got his hands a little dirty with Catholic blood in Timor Leste as well. He also conveniently ignores the ever louder and insistent calls from within and without Israel to stop the madness in Gaza.)

It's almost like Israel is walking off the precipice following a single madman...

There's more than one. most if not all of the current israeli gubbinment are hardline zionists, as well as the ones that are colonial illegal settler leaders who are messianic/fundamentalist/fuckwits who distort religion to suit their landgrab and genocide goals.
netenyahu had to buddy up with soulless shitstains who are even more extreme than him, in order to form gubbinment.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
There's more than one. most if not all of the current israeli gubbinment are hardline zionists, as well as the ones that are colonial illegal settler leaders who are messianic/fundamentalist/fuckwits who distort religion to suit their landgrab and genocide goals.
netenyahu had to buddy up with soulless shitstains who are even more extreme than him, in order to form gubbinment.
I'm sure there are tens of thousands of greater Zionists but they needed that jerk Netanyahu to stitch them together into a federation of evil hypocrites to form the government.

Now no one can get rid of the guy, not even the Israeli supreme court.

ForkinGreat

banning Tiktok in the USA, and Netenyahu shutting down Al Jazeera reporting in Israel/Palestine, means that there will be little or no scrutiny and criticism of Israel finishing off killing the Palestinians.
The palestinians have been ordered to evacuate from Rafah, but there is nowhere left for them to go, because everywhere and everything has been destroyed by Israel. Fuck Israel.

http://instagr.am/p/C6pz4HmyZxt/

safreek

The recently commenced Rafah stage of genocide is unbelievable. I am beyond disappointed in the global political response (or lack of) to any of this inhuman aggression. It has echoes of the Tamil genocide in Sri Lanka not too long ago (2009).
At least Joe reckons he won't give them any more weapons if they go in. That's a good start

Flow-Rider

Burner
The recently commenced Rafah stage of genocide is unbelievable. I am beyond disappointed in the global political response (or lack of) to any of this inhuman aggression. It has echoes of the Tamil genocide in Sri Lanka not too long ago (2009).
The world never learns anything, I sit here and hope it never comes to Australia in plaque proportion.