Missing Malaysian flight

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Why is it that the most likely explanation hasn't come up yet?

Solved

Sent from my Xperia Go using Tapatalk

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm mostly shocked at how Malaysia is dealing with this. Confusing reports of the people with stolen passports looking like Mario Balotelli, reports they have last tracked the plane an hour later far west of where they initially said. What is the real story here? The Iranians are a red herring for sure.

Apparently Vietnam has stopped helping until they get their story straight.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you guys seen the report that Military radar was tracking it?

Dont know where it came from but after it fell below commercial radar and it did a U Turn and headed out to the Malacca Strait, where it then fell of there radar also.

Ok go..

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there was an article in the Sun this morning about the co pilot from the flight inviting hot tourists up to the deck for photos and they were smoking the whole time. Serious security breach but understandable if you are trying to score.

I dont believe you can even manually shut down all signals from the plane to the ground- ghost plane.
Pull the right circuit breakers, and as long as the plane is out of range of primary radar (ie a long way out to see, or low enough), there will be no sign of the aircraft (bar any military radar sites).

This whole situation is so bizarre. I'm sure the Malaysians are covering something up here, but I can't really think of what it can be.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
This whole situation is so bizarre. I'm sure the Malaysians are covering something up here, but I can't really think of what it can be.
I think the Malaysian authorities are acting incompetent, confirming, then denying, pissing off their neighbours, doing another thing all by themselves - but don't mistake incompetency and face saving for conspiracy .

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the Malaysian authorities are acting incompetent, confirming, then denying, pissing off their neighbours, doing another thing all by themselves - but don't mistake incompetency and face saving for conspiracy .
Yeah true that.

The only thing that makes it appear more sinister to me, is the ACARS system which reports back to the Airline and the engine company (Rolls Royce). Although there are differing levels of subscription to this service, and I'm not sure what level Malaysia Airlines are on, Rolls Royce said that the last message had no abnormal readings.
Combine this with the erratic turn, no radio transmissions, loss of transponder and lack of debris over the last known location...

But yeah, they probably trying to save face about searching in the wrong area or something.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I certainly hope it didn't turn around and fly SW across the Indian Ocean until it ran out of fuel. Then they'll never find it.

I'd love to see some hard facts and stop this speculation in the media.

Minlak

custom titis
I doubt the Malaysians are covering anything up. They are not releasing all information purely because they are incompetent. I think there is nothing sinister just pure incompetence.

On a side note it is interesting in this day of films where they track everyone by satellite and can find a gnat on your balls in the middle of the city and there are soooo many satellites in the sky we can just plain old lose a plane. It seems incredulous that to search we still need seats on bums in plans. We are on mars ffs this seems so unbelievable.

floody

Wheel size expert
In the general losing a plane thing, the AoA Stinson crash in the McPherson ranges is a good read still. The plane basically went the complete opposite direction to what most predicted it would (granted there was not the tracking capability in those days). Bernard O'reilly's story of how he came to find the plane and organise the rescue of the two survivors is a good read:
http://www.chapelhill.homeip.net/FamilyHistory/Other/QueenslandHistory/THESTORYOFTHESTINSONWRECK.htm

(I know it has no real parallel to the current mystery, its just a great read)

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
In the general losing a plane thing, the AoA Stinson crash in the McPherson ranges is a good read still. The plane basically went the complete opposite direction to what most predicted it would (granted there was not the tracking capability in those days). Bernard O'reilly's story of how he came to find the plane and organise the rescue of the two survivors is a good read:
http://www.chapelhill.homeip.net/FamilyHistory/Other/QueenslandHistory/THESTORYOFTHESTINSONWRECK.htm

Thanks! Reading about this damn aircraft disappearance is driving me bonkas!

Minlak

custom titis

When I went to school it was an excursion for the day to walk to the crash site :)

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
If a plane can crash into the Pentagon and they never find a trace of it (apart from DNA of all/most passengers), what hope can you have for this missing plane?

Magoo74

Likes Bikes
Funny we are only hearing this bit of news today:

Meanwhile, a New Zealander working on an oil rig off the coast of Vietnam reportedly saw a burning object in the sky about the time the missing Malaysia Airlines flight is believed to have crashed.

Flight MH370 dropped out of sight an hour after taking off from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing early on Saturday, under clear night skies and with no suspicion of any mechanical problems. Missing are 239 people.

ABC News reporter Bob Woodruff obtained an email sent by New Zealander Mike McKay, who works on the "Songa Mercur" oil rig in the South China Sea, to his bosses detailing what he saw.

In the email McKay said that he "observed the plane burning at high altitude . . . in one piece" about 50-70 kilometres from his location.

He gave coordinates for the location of the rig, which recently moved from Cuba to the shores of Vietnam.

Doan Huu Gia, deputy general director of Vietnam's air traffic management, confirmed they had been sent the email, the BBC reported.

"We received an email from a New Zealander who works on one of the oil rigs off Vung Tau.

"He said he spotted a burning [object] at that location, some 300 km southeast of Vung Tau."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/missing...le-wreckage-20140313-34ned.html#ixzz2vmxSi2Dc

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
300 km SE of Vung Tau is nowhere near the flight path and in the opposite direction to where RADAR allegedly tracked the flight heading.

The daft scaffolder (I'll bet you $100 he was a scaff) probably got confused by the flare tower.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That would more than likely be verifiable by checking satellite picks. The smoke trail would have been picked up and I recall the Yanks saying that they've checked their sat pics and can find no evidence of an explosion. So I reckon they would have seen a large fire as well.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
What could have inginted such a fire? Correct me if i'm wrong but the wiring looms are all a)protected with breakers b)wrapped in flame retardent insulating material.

*snip*

I fail to think in this day and age that a fire could take out the crew THAT fast that it would prevent them making contact, with the sophistcation and warning systems available to them.

I would think if there was an emergency one pilot would be working on said emergency while the other made emergency contact with the ground in the first instance?
The components would be fire resistant but not fire proof. Cockpit fires can escalate very rapidly and breathing let alone using a radio in a cockpit after you've released a can of halon would be very difficult.

In a multi crew environment the process is to deal with non normal scenario together with the captain making the calls and FO to comply/assist. The three basic rules of flight are; aviate, navigate and then communicate.

Johnny, have they stated What was the weather like over that sector? Are the satellites able to pick up smoke if it was in cloud?

Last edited: