Mont 24 advice

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Speechless.

I have a 2 year old, when I take a toy away from him he throws a tanty. It's pretty similar to what I'm seeing on this thread.

ChopSticks

Banned
These guys didnt have sponsorship they had entrant fees.

Big JD, have a look on their site and you will see Aussie Butt cream, GU Gel, MINI, Schwalbe, SRAM, FrameSkin, Flow Mag and prob 10+ other sponsors paying to have their names plastered on their site..... you think SPE do that for free? Get Real !!

End of the day.... we paid for an event that didn't eventuate. They HAVE taken all out money without giving us a service (they paid for toilets blah, lights blah, showers blah) but thats the bottom line.

Marky069

Likes Bikes
Gotta love the Kowal - erm - self serving promotions

I paid my money, Im disappointed, but I read the conditions and knew what I was signing up for and that I would wear the cost if it was cancelled.

I'll admit, Im a local, but I get to go ride those trails whenever I want, and I have never lifted a trail building shovel. The Kowalskis, Paul Cole and crew have created a wonderland out there. They can have my race fee and I'll give it to them with a smile.

Long live SPE!
So, which of them are you?

Or are you one of the volunteers they serve pizza to, while their profit-making arm run highly profitable events made possible by your "paid in pizzas" help?

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
SPE made the right call, they could have made it earlier in the week to save people travel/time off work etc (that forecast was consistent) but I understand why they waited, they were desperate to put the event on and avoid this shit fight. Everybody needs to take a breath!

I want them to stay in business and am happy to take a discount on something from them, I agree that the T&C is possibly illegal, but Id rather keep SPE around than see them driven out of business by a lawsuit. They put on cracking events, more power to em. Theyre also offering to post the shwag bags out, did everyone notice they dont need to do that according to the T&C's?

Having said that however the newsletter was disingenuous, no way was the event going to be rescheduled, and if the best excuse is "long term chance of rain" then why wasnt this version cancelled last tuesday? Nonsense

I agree with an earlier poster that there should be a refund of the camping fee (no camping was allowed, by the organiser) and the MTBA day license fee, after all that was there to be returned to us at/after rego anyway

I disagree with taking them to ACCC, its only going to drive costs further and thats going to disadvantage "full time students" in the future.

Time to breathe, go for a ride and enjoy the fact our bikes arent ruined. I rode the 2010 Cap Punishment and there was a whole bunch of whingeing after that "my bikes ruined" "it cost me money to fix my bike" "our tracks are ruined", boo hoo, that would have happened again if this one had proceeded, only worse "my tent got wet....".

SPE cant win, theyve made an effort, better than AROC did after Angry Dr 2010 (does anyone remember the 10% offer that still hasnt been honoured?) and I'll be back for more of their events

Big JD

Wheel size expert
OKAY

so I called up the ACCC this morning to make a complaint.
they have since logged (flagged) SPE regarding this matter. Theres nothing they can really do until there more people getting onto it. So feel free to call up too.
(case no. 609 335, ACCC- 1300 302 502)

They then pointed me to NSW Fair Trading
they were about to lodge formal complain, but heard SPE are located in the ACT, and advised I contacted ACT Fair Trading instead. (even if NSW Fair trading determined SPE were in the wrong and needed to pay me $XXX, SPE doesn't legally have to compensate me given they are operating out of the ACT). So......

I was finally pointed to ACT Fair trading. (phone no. 6207 0400)
Have since lodged a complaint, was told to write a formal letter to SPE asking for a FULL refund and give them 5 days to respond.
Even though SPE has stated on the site/contract they hold no responsibility to event cancellation, the fact I(us) did NOT receive the product/service renders their condition null and void.
We are therefore entitled for a FULL refund regardless. If they do not respond to the formal letter in a reasonable time frame (was told 5 days), to then re-contact the ACT Fair Trading to have it taken up further.

I always thought you were a complete obnoxious, precious little child what with all your weight wennie, purple and blue highlights and the way you butt into everyones threats to correct them.

This is a pathetic way of dealing with any situation.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I do not agree that bringing the ACCC and Fair Trading into the equation is the appropriate course of action at this point in time. I believe that SPE should be given an opportunity to respond to the comments and displeasure at their offer. It's been 14hrs since the email went out, at lease give them a couple of days. As much as I'm unhappy about it, I would be even less happy about sending them broke to the detriment of the cycling community. No SPE = no Mont 24, no kowen trails.. Is this really the result we're after? I for one will not be satisfied by a forced refund, I would be satisfied by SPE volunteering a partial refund. Volunteering being the operative word here.

moorey

call me Mia
@chops. You'd buy a handful of Ti purple bolts worth more than the entry fee without blinking, but are happy to assist lynching SPE et al, and jeopardize the future of many awesome events (not to mention the actual tracks), for doing the right thing, and in accordance with their conditions of entry? If you need $180 THAT badly, you have my contact details.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Big JD, have a look on their site and you will see Aussie Butt cream, GU Gel, MINI, Schwalbe, SRAM, FrameSkin, Flow Mag and prob 10+ other sponsors paying to have their names plastered on their site..... you think SPE do that for free? Get Real !!

End of the day.... we paid for an event that didn't eventuate. They HAVE taken all out money without giving us a service (they paid for toilets blah, lights blah, showers blah) but thats the bottom line.
Wow, I wouldn't be suprised if SPE just shut down because people want their $180. Less races, less cutting of new track, etc.

Your short term need to get money back could have long implications for mtb'ing.

Hope you're happy about that.

ChopSticks

Banned
I always thought you were a complete obnoxious, precious little child what with all your weight wennie, purple and blue highlights and the way you butt into everyones threats to correct them.

This is a pathetic way of dealing with any situation.
wow im hurt.... NOT
LOL, if you think legal course of action is 'pathetic' then more power to you :)

I simply stated what ACT fair trading (and NSW and ACCC) have told me.
Giving no refund (never have I once asked/demanded a full refund) is simply illegal.
We are however entitled to a full refund, whether I want that will depend on how SPE deals with this situation from here.

SPE needs to come out, and give me (us) a better explanation before I do write the letter.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I do not agree that bringing the ACCC and Fair Trading into the equation is the appropriate course of action at this point in time. I believe that SPE should be given an opportunity to respond to the comments and displeasure at their offer. It's been 14hrs since the email went out, at lease give them a couple of days. As much as I'm unhappy about it, I would be even less happy about sending them broke to the detriment of the cycling community. No SPE = no Mont 24, no kowen trails.. Is this really the result we're after? I for one will not be satisfied by a forced refund, I would be satisfied by SPE volunteering a partial refund. Volunteering being the operative word here.
It seems in chopsticks' eyes, his precious $180 is more valuable then sweet singletrack.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fark me, Chops is willing to risk the trails, price increases to all future events, make it harder for future events to be run, harder for new events to get off the ground all for a measly $180.

Get a grip - I'll give you $180. And no I'm not loaded or anything. PM me your bank details. Just stop the foolishness you whiney ungrateful brat.

So what if SPE make a profit from running events!! DUH that's what they do!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Fark me, Chops is willing to risk the trails, price increases to all future events, make it harder for future events to be run, harder for new events to get off the ground all for a measly $180.

Get a grip - I'll give you $180. And no I'm not loaded or anything. PM me your bank details. Just stop the foolishness you whiney ungrateful brat.

So what if SPE make a profit from running events!! DUH that's what they do!
Gold

Ok lets start a fund for Chops

I will throw in some funds

anyone else

mitchy_

Llama calmer
perhaps make it food rations.

much like not wanting homeless people to spend money given to them on alcohol, if poor chops is in need of money you'd hate for him to waste it on pretty coloured bits instead of the food he so desperately needs....

Big JD

Wheel size expert
perhaps make it food rations.

much like not wanting homeless people to spend money given to them on alcohol, if poor chops is in need of money you'd hate for him to waste it on pretty coloured bits instead of the food he so desperately needs....
or the medication required

ChopSticks

Banned
Crucify me all you like guys/girls.

One thing I want to be clear is I never asked for a full refund... simply stated what it we are entitled to as per ACCC/Fair Trading.

If you want to put money in my pockets.... by all means chip in.... You'd be stupid to say no.

In my opinion, anyone that hasn't entered the race and/or paid should really have no say in this.
You can moan about not having trails to ride all you like. But end of the day, they are a business. Clearly making a killing off this, which leaves many 'out of pocket'.

all the power to those who dont care about $180, but I do.

moorey

call me Mia
!
Thanks for getting me off the hook...I wooda had to sell one of my numerous sets of revs. Count me in for a contribution still though. :gossip:

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Children children settle down.
As much as I don't agree with Chops' premature contact to the ACCC etc, this is just getting juvenile. None of this is gonna change anything. Chops has explained his situation, and just wanted to know where he (and all other entrants) stand if SPE are unwilling to respond with a reasonable explanation for their (in my opinion) low ball compensation offer.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One thing I want to be clear is I never asked for a full refund... simply stated what it we are entitled to as per ACCC/Fair Trading.
I was finally pointed to ACT Fair trading. (phone no. 6207 0400)
Have since lodged a complaint, was told to write a formal letter to SPE asking for a FULL refund and give them 5 days to respond.
Even though SPE has stated on the site/contract they hold no responsibility to event cancellation, the fact I(us) did NOT receive the product/service renders their condition null and void.
We are therefore entitled for a FULL refund regardless. If they do not respond to the formal letter in a reasonable time frame (was told 5 days), to then re-contact the ACT Fair Trading to have it taken up further.
I thought you didn't want a full refund?

Still waiting for my PM

Last edited: