Mont 24 advice

DeBloot

Feeling old
I had an awesome weekend in Canbrahh with my mates from interstate, we forked out more monies for hotel accommodation, rode everyday in new and interesting places, drank heaps and heaps of beer, had dinner out every night... Even had ice cream.
Awesome.
A friend of mine choofed off to Jindy to stay with a mutual friend he hadn't seen in ages
Our mate's German and brews his own beer (with chilli!)
Knocks your freakin' socks off and the weather was conducive to drinking too much

We are of drinking age though, which it seems some on this thread aren't

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I were the promoters I would refund $50 to each entrant and call it quits- no further discounts. I would then sell everything I own and buy a small beach shack in Bali, Costa Rica or Mexico and turn it into a bar. I would live out my life well away from this painful toxic squabble and write off this part of my life. Learn to surf and eat really well- if single - marry a local and live happily ever after.

SPE what you think about my idea. You can PM me if you want to chat and lets organise a ride and a beer in the future.
^This.

Adding my unwanted 2c.

I agree entirely with Norm (Chopsticks) but before you crucify me also let me explain why. Our two teams who we were planning on camping with were made up of a majority of uni students, who earn very little (<$200/week?) and forking out $180 to receive nothing in return (except $50 off the Kowalski Classic OR $48 off next years Mont) is a big kick in the nuts. As a recent graduate I can emphasize with this.

Coupled with, as I understand it, the majority of people flaming Norm not actually having entered or committed financially to this race, its easy to take the "high horse" as has been previously mentioned and look down on his actions. The fact of the matter is money is always something people will get emotional about.

You guys all need to relax.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I'm down on Sunday for big road ride - will call and see if you can have a beer with us afterwards... We can sit around and talk about what could've been and put lots of energy, time and resources into solving trivial shit.
sweat as bro

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a fully paid up competitor I thought I too would kick in my 2c.

Given the weather conditions, running the race on the day was impossible - I don't think anybody is denying that at all.

That being said, I felt like the explanation/cancellation email was blowing smoke up my behind - from the very first paragraph I could see where it was going. As some have said before me, the email read as though postponement was never legitimately on the cards anyhow.

Rockytrail Entertainment is the gold standard of race promoting - despite enduring the most brutal of weather conditions for their races, they have never once disappointed their riders. That is one of the reasons I keep going back to their events time and time again. I also recall Chocolate Foot postponing a race at Awaba in a similar fashion to my satisfaction. Conversely, I have never again raced the Capital Punishment or Husky 100s after poor weather related experiences with their races.

I think 99% of racers acknowledge that, if rescheduling is not possible (and I emphasise, from a riders perspective, rescheduling is best), something other than a full refund is the best outcome (after all, we don't want to see The Mont go broke).

However, the discounting offer put forward by SPE was not satisfactory to me (and many others by the look of this thread and their facebook page)

Hopefully, they consider this feedback (and the feedback of others) and amend their offer to something more satisfactory. Otherwise, the Mont will be joining CP and THE in my eyes.

-Andrew

wombat

Lives in a hole
What I find amusing is that some of the people arcing up over others wanting the promoter to abide by our consumer laws are the same ones who would be first in line to grab a pitchfork and burn down any shop that tried something like 'no refunds'.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
What I find amusing is that some of the people arcing up over others wanting the promoter to abide by our consumer laws are the same ones who would be first in line to grab a pitchfork and burn down any shop that tried something like 'no refunds'.
apples and oranges.
a product can be re-sold, a service cannot.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
So what if SPE make a profit from running events!! DUH that's what they do!
No one has an issue with them making a profit

They have in issue with them taking their money and giving them nothing.

If you're so happy for that to happen, I'm organising a 24hr event, send me $180 but don't bother turning up because it's not gonna go ahead. I'll still keep your cash though, but if you really want something back, send me more money and I probably won't give you anything for that either.....

moorey

call me Mia
No one has an issue with them making a profit

They have in issue with them taking their money and giving them nothing.

If you're so happy for that to happen, I'm organising a 24hr event, send me $180 but don't bother turning up because it's not gonna go ahead. I'll still keep your cash though, but if you really want something back, send me more money and I probably won't give you anything for that either.....
Stupidest response in thread. No mean feat.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
I thought you didn't want a full refund?

Still waiting for my PM
Learn to fucken read!!

He is stating what is entitled to, not what he's asking for, over will ever ask for. Nothing wrong with finding out where you stand in relation to this.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
apples and oranges.
a product can be re-sold, a service cannot.
So therefore a loss of service is 100% to the consumer and thus should be protected even more.

It's more like a faulty product really, useless to both parties, but when you buy a product even on sale you should expect it to perform as advertised , not "sorry, product doesn't work, read the T&C s fool! "

Minlak

custom titis
If discussion in this thread turns mature, reasonable and polite I will close it.

Be warned.
I'm not one for quoting in signatures but this is pretty close to being used. I read it 2or3times to make sure it said what it did... Pure gold.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Learn to fucken read!!

He is stating what is entitled to, not what he's asking for, over will ever ask for. Nothing wrong with finding out where you stand in relation to this.
Pretty much, that's the only choice the laws give. It's pay up in full. The only way to avoid that is not to involve the law and tribunals ( much cheaper than lawyers). The only people who can effect option 2 is SPE who can choose to return a significant portion of funds and avoid the hoo haa, or continue playing hardball and explore option ACCC, DFT

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a fully paid up competitor I thought I too would kick in my 2c.

Given the weather conditions, running the race on the day was impossible - I don't think anybody is denying that at all.

That being said, I felt like the explanation/cancellation email was blowing smoke up my behind - from the very first paragraph I could see where it was going. As some have said before me, the email read as though postponement was never legitimately on the cards anyhow.

Rockytrail Entertainment is the gold standard of race promoting - despite enduring the most brutal of weather conditions for their races, they have never once disappointed their riders. That is one of the reasons I keep going back to their events time and time again. I also recall Chocolate Foot postponing a race at Awaba in a similar fashion to my satisfaction. Conversely, I have never again raced the Capital Punishment or Husky 100s after poor weather related experiences with their races.

I think 99% of racers acknowledge that, if rescheduling is not possible (and I emphasise, from a riders perspective, rescheduling is best), something other than a full refund is the best outcome (after all, we don't want to see The Mont go broke).

However, the discounting offer put forward by SPE was not satisfactory to me (and many others by the look of this thread and their facebook page)

Hopefully, they consider this feedback (and the feedback of others) and amend their offer to something more satisfactory. Otherwise, the Mont will be joining CP and THE in my eyes.

-Andrew
Most sensible post in this thread! How dare you! Lol

I'm with you 100% too

Minlak

custom titis
Just to add some dry tinder to the already exasperated.

If SPE have set the company up correctly and paid out all funds leaving no money in the company. Just wind the company up people owed money become creditors and after the tax man gets his money from left overs you will get your money from left overs. Just saying if they are as devious as already pointed out.

:thumb:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
People are paying another forum user to shut up.

But it's not Moorey. In fact, he's the one paying the money.

Everything I once believed in has died.