Mont 24 advice

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
PS I'm nearly 800 shekels out of pocket for my team entry but I'm happy to sit back and wait to see what options are made available to us. If I lose my dough I doubt I'll lose my shit. I can still ride my bike!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
I reckon I'm down that or more.. And not. Overly fussed about it but very keen for a rerun,..

3 night shifts off
Travel down from Muswellbrook
Fuel
Food
Entry
Misc

Adds up, but like I say, very keen for a re-scheduled date with entry costs carried over.

barron

Likes Dirt
mmm .... hand jibbers,that would lighten the mood.

I'm fairlyconfident the organisers willdo everything they can tokeep punters satisfied, if not happy. Their business hasjust taken abig hit, profit from entry fees or not. If they want to stay sustainable they need us to know these circumstances will be handled professionally and any impact on punters will be minimised.

These events will be cancelled in the future, competitors will stay away if they get screwed. Twice shy and all that.

Just prayingtheydon't resched for a booked weekend.

PS: thanks rain for making this my most popular thread ever!

piner

Squid
Looking forward to a great Mont next year!

The effort those guys go to to please participants in their events is second to none. The cost of entry is not insignificant, but it is small compared to all the other costs associated with the weekend and running your bike; and if you had raced this weekend you'd have been up for more than $180 in repairs--cancelling the race has saved you money, go that!

I'm more than happy for them to keep the costs down by having a clearly stated no refunds policy. And I don't expect a re-run either; they would have spent the vast majority of their cash already, and I'm more than happy for them to keep any profit they would have made. They've worked friggin hard for months, dealt with major issues like km's of course being wiped out a few weeks before the event.

It would be a crying shame for MTB if the viability of promoters, like SPE, was put in jeopardy by canceling events when it is the right thing to do, or because they get priced out of the market because they were forced to add in extra insurance.

By the way, how many people forked out for extra private race insurance, as this is not an MTBA event??? I suggest those that did not have voted with their feet that they are happy with the notion of self-insurance.

So, I expect no refund, no re-run and bloody good Mont next year, oh and a bloody good Kowalski Classic next spring too; and if I want my race booty I'll pay for postage.

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
^ Piner, if I was to guess I would've thought you worked for SPE lol

One question I have is why does it take them a whole 72 hours to give us news?

Minlak

custom titis
^ Piner, if I was to guess I would've thought you worked for SPE lol

One question I have is why does it take them a whole 72 hours to give us news?
My guess would be so when they do respond it will be factual and not empty maybes?
They will need to asses the possibility of a re-schedule that will mean talking to everyone involved in making the weekend happen. If no chance of a re-run do they have the money to offer a refund and at what rate 100% 50%?

Waiting sux and in the same boat as you guys I would be keen to know too. But IMHO 72 hrs when 2of those days are weekend days seemed quick to me.

ChopSticks

Banned
Did they cancel on Tuesday morning/Wednesday night? I thought they canned it at 10.30ish Friday, daylight savings mix-up?
good try smart arse... I was referring to the 72 hours they quoted on their site before they give us news re: refunds, re-schdule, etc .... not refering to their call to Axe the race. :wave:

But IMHO 72 hrs when 2of those days are weekend days seemed quick to me.
thats true..... hopefully they're working around the clock to sort something out... thousands of people want answers.

Hopefully a re-schedule is on the cards, with the option of partial refunds for those who cant make it and flexibility to change/combine teams minus drop outs etc

on that note..... clocks go back 1 hour :)

morgs

morgs
I'd presume they're still out on the event dealing with all the infrastructure put in.
They're camped out at the event centre in the site shed again, the generators and marquis are still there and there's still stuff to be packd up. The track has seen a few wheels over it today and it's pretty much slop. The campground though is where the real concern lay, getting everyone in would have been difficult in the conditions, but getting everyone out would have been impossible, the ground just turned to soup. The last thing anyone needed was cars sliding into cars or tents. The toilet trailer was bogged for five hours yesterday after they reversed onto the grass. Joy.

ukalipt

Likes Dirt
I'd be happy to pay a little more (hypothetically $50 ish) just to cover some of the costs for a reschedule.
I just want race the Mont! - Although after my weekend ride my legs aren't with me on that gravy train.

Good Luck SPE. I hope some miracle occurs and on the other side of this everyone is happy.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Updates?

Hi Burners. Has anyone got any updates? It's now been 73 hours and aint herd nuffin, though I am probably not the most patient person...

EDIT: It's been 74 hours including the shift from going back to Eastern Standard Time.

Minlak

custom titis
Hi Burners. Has anyone got any updates? It's now been 73 hours and aint herd nuffin, though I am probably not the most patient person...

EDIT: It's been 74 hours including the shift from going back to Eastern Standard Time.
You shifted back in time so it's actually 71 hrs now ......

I read somewhere Tuesday ? I think there is news sometime Tuesday?

ChopSticks

Banned
glad im not the only impatient one.

this is taken from SPE FB page which was posted yesterday:

6:30am and the sun is rising over what looks to be the last remnant of cloud. The paddocks are puddle free now but quite soft underfoot. Venue pack up progressed well Friday and yesterday. Today sees a number of truck loads of gear to Canberra and a large team on hand for final tidy of site ahead of major infrastructure (marquees etc) pullout tomorrow. Yesterday, groups of riders rode the course (and some even late into last night) and despite a very wet course and scattered showers throughout the day they were upbeat and happy to at least get some laps in. We thank you for stopping by for a chat, it was greatly appreciated.

We'll be out of the forest sometime after 4pm tomorrow and will make contact via newsletter as soon as practical thereafter. Best regards Alan (aka Des Kowalski)

Guess the mofo's lied to us about getting back to us within 72 hours?

I think its poor form from SPE.... yes it takes time to re-organise and to pack up the mont blah blah.... but they need to do it regardless, they havent needed to do presentations, or timing or all the other stuff that would've been necessary had the race gone ahead.

the least they can really do is keep the thousands of people who are in the dark a simple "yes we are working to reschedule the race, or may have to cancel if nothing is reached".
Not saying a single thing is a joke.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I think its poor form from SPE.... yes it takes time to re-organise and to pack up the mont blah blah.... but they need to do it regardless, they havent needed to do presentations, or timing or all the other stuff that would've been necessary had the race gone ahead.

the least they can really do is keep the thousands of people who are in the dark a simple "yes we are working to reschedule the race, or may have to cancel if nothing is reached".
Not saying a single thing is a joke.
I can only assume they have been trying to talk to other relevant parties about the re-organising another date or negotiating what money they can get back.
I am pretty confident they are not just sitting there twiddling their thumbs.

Now they 72 hour deadline has passed, I agree they need to provide another update, however no need to chuck a hissy fit about it.

I reckon you are vastly over-simplifying the situation. On the positive side, least you didn't destroy those XX cassettes ;-)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I think that's a little harsh, Choppers.

Not sure a misjudgement/mistake regarding time frames should be interpreted as lying. And if they cancel or resched for 4-8 weeks, taking an extra 24 hours in knowing what the deal is makes no difference to the outcome anyway. I understand the anticipation and suspense and I didn't even fork out any $$$. However it's prob best not to rush to harsh judgements....., just yet.

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
On the positive side, least you didn't destroy those XX cassettes ;-)
LOL not really...
legs expected a weekend workout, so ended up riding in the wet weather regardless...

Come on SPE... we need SOMETHING !!!!

*sharpening my pitch fork and lighting up my torch*

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
Mont 24 Hour Race - Update

Hi all.

This is a brief update for rotorburners ahead of an official update (which we will make this Wednesday)

We are out of the forest (as of about 3pm today) and have just now had a meeting to discuss where to from here. Like you, we are gutted that the rain ruined the Mont right on the cusp of the event. We were completely setup and everything was ready for the riders. So close...

We know many would like to ride the Mont on a new date and despite our having announced the event as 'cancelled', we are actively exploring whether it would actually be possible to reschedule. In saying this, I must stress that the Mont is a complex event to run and requires clearance from numerous stakeholders and suppliers to even be realised. Rescheduling the event is by no means a certainty, but will be thoroughly examined.

Rescheduling the Mont for a date in the near future depends on;
1. Whether we can find an available date to make a booking of the forest (i.e. a weekend the forest not booked for another user)
2. Whether planned logging operations can be halted to run the race (thinning of East Kowen is slated to start this Thursday)
3. Availability of essential infrastructure namely; generators, light towers, marquees, toilets etc (i.e. large toilet and shower blocks are items we typically book 12 months in advance to ensure supply)
4. The availability of critical services and personnel (timing company, first aid, ambulance, race director, course director, volunteers etc)
5. On-course structures (i.e. re-build of a large temporary structure required for the event)
6. Availability for hire of 24hr specific items such as charge boards etc.
7. Availability of quality food service providers/coffee providers
8. weather forecasts and our knowledge that temperatures are trending much cooler through April/May, and
9. giving riders sufficient notice of a new date so they can make plans to attend
(note: this is by no means an exhaustive list...)

We are already in touch with the relevant government bodies and other critical suppliers on this front, and will work through this tomorrow. We will be able to establish whether the Mont can proceed on a new date (or not) by early Wednesday morning. Once known, I will then send out an email newsletter to all participants. Watch your inbox by all means, but expect it later in the day as I am pretty slow on technology.

Whichever way we have to go, please know we are working toward having you smiling hard on the trails we build real soon.

Regards
Alan Vogt
(aka Des Kowalski)