Mont 24 Hour Race 2015 - March 28-29

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
This time of year can be tough... the holidays are over, you can't deal with being back at work and you're sporting some festive lard.
The Mont 24 Hour Race is exactly 10 weeks out, so you have time to be awesome again.

Entries are open for the Mont 24 Hour Race, so register your team of 4 or 6 NOW and get back on the bike.

The MONT is a classic weekend of mountain biking and a must-do event for first timers and seasoned riders alike. We invite you to enter a team of four or six riders and experience East Kowen's most devilish trails. While there’s plenty of racing to be had, the MONT is also a pretty laid back event, so if you don’t take your performances too seriously, rest assured you won’t be alone.

Race Days - March 28-29 2015
ENTER HERE

Attachments

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Although I live locally so my costs are much lower, I do not think that $180 is too much to pay for an event of this size and complexity.

But, my knee and fitness will not be ready in time to deal with that level of activity so this will be the 3rd race I've missed (one for rain, two for knee, which I blew out training for the Mont).

Not sure what zombies have to do with a bike race though, might want to sack your marketing strategist and get a new one.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Not sure what zombies have to do with a bike race though, might want to sack your marketing strategist and get a new one.
Have you ever worked night shift Johnny? I assume the zombies are related to how the average human being feels at 4am in the morning*

*Obviously excluding young people at parties with heads full of interesting substances.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
#facepalm haha

Trying to put together a team,, looking for a female rider to make up a mixed team...

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
I thought I might race the Mont this year, but the $180pp has turned me off...
Fees for 2015 are the same as 2014 and only slightly increased from 2013 ($2.50) in line with the costs for staging an event of this scale.
Note: The event fee includes race entry, camping and insurance cover for riders.

riz0

Likes Bikes
The fact that the price hasn't changed over the last couple of years isn't going to make me think that it is not too much.

You don't need to justify it, I'm just saying it's not even in my ball park of what I would pay.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The fact that the price hasn't changed over the last couple of years isn't going to make me think that it is not too much.

You don't need to justify it, I'm just saying it's not even in my ball park of what I would pay.
You're missing out.. Fucking kick arse event

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt

you better go take up triathlon then....those entry fees may suit you more....:heh::tape2:

eg a one hour race at Kurnell NSW is sitting at $100

the long course race at Jervis Bay is $400 and average race time of 6 hours or under...

or go race Ironman where its in the vicinity of entry fee of $750 for an average 13 hour day....

riz0

Likes Bikes
It's triathlon therefore it's not a comparison. I've raced in other 24 hr events that are nowhere near $180.

Good for you that $180 is not much money.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, alright, we've had our discussion regarding the price and everyone has had a say. Let's leave it there and not have this thread turn in to a shitfight.

Not excluding discussion, just saying that this particular subject matter has run its course. Thanks.

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
after putting a superb event late last year I'm surprised they haven't sold out.

Its a great venue. plenty of space where you don't need to fend off idiots for your real estate. Village atmosphere is very familie orientated. Lots of fun. Food could improve.....joking ha, ha. Nothing like munching down a Pizza for that rocketfuel requirement.

And most of all the track. entry fee is what it is. personally I though I got heaps of value. Its not what it is. Its what you want to make of it. and thats the spirit this whole event is about for most of us who are not elite riders.

uppo

Likes Bikes
My First Mont

It will be my first time doing a 24hr event as a 4 or 6 man team.
We did the Jet black 12hr last year and it was awesome except for the -2 temp the next morning.

Looking really forward to the party feel of the event

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
Cheaper Alternatives

If you think spamming some one else's thread with your own events is acceptable you're going to get a rude shock the next time you try it.

johnny

I mentioned a race which Im not involved with. My point was possibly poorly made, sorry Johnny - it is that there are cheaper alternatives if price is an issue for you, look for them. I highlighted one race and one series which is coming up, there's a bunch of alternatives.

Mont is a brilliant event with great trails, atmospheres unbeatable and SPE do a truly professional job. If you haven't done it put it on your bucket list, its a hoot! But if you've done it don't bitch about the cost, go somewhere else, the calendars not empty anymore.

Last edited:

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm more than happy to pay $180 for the mont.. It's a killer event and some of the sweetest track going round.
More than that though, I get to ride with ~3000 others including mates who share a similar passion.

If all you see is the $$$$ this isn't the event for you anyway.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
People, did we not see where I said the issue of price has already been covered?

Please, people have their opinions regarding the price of races these days and letting them know your opinion is highly unlikely to alter theirs.

So let's not beat a horse that's so dead it's starting to stink.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Can't wait!

This is my first time riding the Mont, as well as first time riding in any MTB race - completely pumped for it! Got a 6 person mixed team and we're all first timers - going to be a steep learning curve, but we're in it for the fun so no pressure at all. Getting excited riding out at Kowen last weekend, and coming across the recent trailworks that have been done.

How long before the event do the organisers normally release the full course details?

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
How long before the event do the organisers normally release the full course details?
We are on track to release the course in a few weeks (We are just joining a few dots at present). The course this year will take in all the sweet Far East descending trails but will include new track not used before to get back to the central trails (Middle Earth?). From there, the course will fold back on itself in some interesting ways, so tracks like Magic Mushroom will feel different to how you've ridden them in the past. Of course, we'll finish with Secret Squirrel, Beer Garden and Last Call because they are kick arse... perhaps even more kick arse now with the addition of a few more features since October.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Sweet - the Far East descents have to be my favourite runs out there, there is a particular flow to them that just picks up silly amounts of speed. It will be extra nice to ride it without constantly dodging pine cones (there is going to be a pine cone sweep? Please...?)