MONT 24HR 2012 - team formation

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
I'm going to have a go at the Mont next year for the first time and I'm keen to build a group of 6. All my mates have already told me I'm too fat and slow to join their "elite" team so I'm fishing about for some riders out there keen to "just give it a go".

I'm looking for people that may be interested in joining a team of 6, with a preference for people living in the Illawarra area to make logistics easier and so that we could perhaps do a bit of training together in the lead up.

If you're interested reply or PM me. I don't mind about level of fitness, except that you would need to be able to complete a couple of laps. Male female doesn't matter, nor does age. You will need to have a bit of enthusiasm and probably an even better sense of humour :biggrin:

Steve

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hey wilddemon,

I second 'hipdos' sentiments!

Those so called friends are not your friends, you don't say that stuff to mates or anyone. As the saying goes, when someone shows you who they really are,......believe them! Those guys are no good, elite my ar5e, they would no know elite if it smacked them in the head.

Now to the positive, if you wanna have a crack here is the right place to ask. Also check with the organizers as there is usually a list of single riders wanting to team or teams that need a rider. Worst case enter solo with the view to just have fun and rest every couple of laps, even have an 8 hr sleep at night, just enjoy yourself. Also check with your local bike shop.

So good luck mate and ride because you love it, remember you ride for you and no one else.

All the best.

Mars.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
i dont have man boobs!

Thanks guys. Checking with organisers is a great idea I hadn't thought of, and LBS of which there is a couple around here.
Yeah you're prob half right about my mates. They are way faster than me but I haven't seen them anywhere near the podium. What can be frustrating is that they don't appear to try that hard. I've seen the term anti trainer on rotorburn, or maybe it was a username, but it seems to sum up at least a few of them. I'm gasping for air and almost losing breakfast and they are not short of breath in the slightest. Oh well, I lost 3 kg in the last 2 weeks which I put down to the spin bike. Hey who knows, maybe I'll show em a thing or two

onyabike

Likes Bikes
Good luck mate I hope you find a few others to join your team. It can be a bit confronting when your've never met the people before, but I encourgae anyone slightly interested to join you.

A couple of years ago I was keen to ride the Mont and joined a random team looking for an extra rider. I ended up not only riding the mont but met some great people and have ridden the event with them every year since. Good luck with your search I am sure you will find someone who also wants a crack at ridng one the best moutnain bike events going around.

Handekk

Likes Dirt
Hi Wilddemon, have you found any takers yet? if not I would very keen to join you, just shoot me a PM.
cheers H.

cun

Squid
Hey wilddemon

On the flip side I think honest mates are what every one needs, so there comments on your man boobs made you angry and some what left you embarrassed but hey that's ok.
Look at ya now your out there riding the mtb loosing some pounds and being proactive in organizing a team.
Sometimes we need a reality check and seeing the truth may hurt, but your doing something about now instead of sitting on the lounge munching on burger king.
Good on ya and who knows maybe one day you will be having the last say, instead of waiting for the fat lady to sing...

hipdos

Likes Bikes
I'm with cun demon. Those airsoles will give you the determination you need. Good on you for having a go, you sound like you are going to give it to them big time. Flick the bird as you pass 'em on the hills.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
tough

yeah I see your point guys. These mates of mine maybe just want me to HTFU for my own benefit. They are using the cun technique (don't say that too fast) to help motivate me to greatness.
I don't know that I will be "giving it to them" hipdos, other than giving them the satisfaction of "beating me" and i might manage to pass them on the hills on the drive home but despite my levels of enthusiasm I'm sure that won't happen on the field. Regardless of all that they are my mates. I'd be the first one to congratulate them if they did make podium.
I think Mars sums it up best, "ride because you love it". I feel good when a lap comes together and I've improved since last time around. My happiness doesn't count on being a pin up. Not everyone can be an Adonis, cun :nono:

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
and then there were three...

Spots are filling up, looking for three more good people for a great 24 hours...

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
UPDATE - seeking 2 riders for MONT 24 2012

Good Morning Burners!!!

just took the long way to work today, another fatality. Life is short. If you've ever considered doing a 24 hour here's your chance!

At time of initial posting of thread I weighed in at over 88 kegs. This morning I weighed in at 80.2 :clap2: so that's 8 kg in 6 weeks I've lost. Had my "elite" mates gasping for breath on the warm up lap at Appin last weekend. Admittedly they threw me at the front and the pressure caused me to almost burn out in the first lap. Came back for another two though.

The ride also gave me a chance to meet a couple more team mates. Really good guys, and good riders too. I've found them encouraging and supportive. So if you think that you want to give the Mont a go, but have been ummming and ahhhhing, don't wait til your trapped in the glovebox before you rethink things, drop me a PM :cheerful:

demon

MarioM

Likes Dirt
mont

Hey Demon
If the last spot is still available i guess you talked me into it at Appin today . Let me know if all is good .

hipdos

Likes Bikes
Good Morning Burners!!!

Had my "elite" mates gasping for breath on the warm up lap at Appin last weekend.

demon

Wow you sound like you really took care of business demon. Keep up the good work. Did you drop your shy pants and wink them your brown eye? Actually that might be a good name- The Brown Eyes.. or maybe The Birds?

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
hellz yeah!

Wow you sound like you really took care of business demon. Keep up the good work. Did you drop your shy pants and wink them your brown eye? Actually that might be a good name- The Brown Eyes.. or maybe The Birds?
yeah I did ok. tho the mate I had gasping, I think he's been having a few birds lately, wild turkey birds, so maybe it was a combo of me getting fitter and him, maybe his bike is picking up some extra weight in mud, or bird shit! I might have winked a few times on the trail but that's not my fault. The shys are a bit loose on me these days a la skinnier than I was when I bought em. I think I'll have to see if my sewing skills are adequate for a quick adjustment.

As for name, I like the Illawarriors, tho we have team mates from Dalton, Liverpool, 'Rilla, Campbelltown, Sh'llarbour, and Farmbra Heights so don't know if that will stick. The brown eyes, don't think everyone else's shys are as loose as mine, and some might be riding lycra. The birds, hmmmm that's not bad, maybe the Wild Turkeys? :very_drunk: maybe there's some sponsorship opportunity there....

Last edited: