More Eccentric Than All The Others

LPG

likes thicc birds
This is a placeholder for the build. Come back in a few weeks for more than a bit of a story and some photos of the bike thatbis going to donate most of the parts.

My 2016 Trek Stache used to be my only MTB. I rode it on xc and "trail" trails as well as a bikepacking trip along the colorado trail years ago. Since moving to Wollongong I've been riding mostly techy Enduro and DH trails because that's what we have. I rode the Stache for ~2 years here but a slack dualy was really what I needed. I sorted that out with my Bird AM9 which is awesome.

I used to love the Stache but after getting used to the AM9 geo I couldn't get used to the Stache again, it just felt so short and twitchy and I basically stopped riding it.
I did like riding a hardtail though and the plus size rear rim was pretty shagged. A new frame and a normal width rim/tyre would give me what I want. I've been eyeing off hardtail frames for a while. The Cotic BFE Max and Bird Zero 29 were always a moment from being ordered but I never quite justified the full price for a second bike and with covid pricing I was giving up on getting a good priced frame. I had seen The NS Eccentric was normally a good price but I had never seen it in stock. It was basically kept around as most parts were interchangeable with my dually. I almost put it up for sale when I spotted the Eccentric in stock and on special at wiggle for $327, I snapped it up and was psyched.

So I'm not sure if I will run the front end with the 29+ and the Manitou Magnum or if I will run a 29x2.5" wheel as I have a Spare DVO diamond that would also work well. Once it's built up I'll try with the 29+/ magnum Pro at 120 travel and the diamond at 140 travel using the wheel off the front of my Bird to see what I like better. Note that the 120mm travel plus will result in the same geo as the 140 due to the extra axle to crown different larger wheel diameter. I have a Spare rim coming so I can build the front with a 30mm rim if I prefer to get rid of thebplus up front. Having said that I do love the look of the massive 3.0 knobby tyre.

Frame - NS Eccentric Evo Aluminium large
Rear shock - Legs/ Arse on bottom out
Front shock/fork - Manitou magnum (mattoc) Pro 29+ 51mm os 120 travel or DVO Diamond for 29 44 os
Handlebars - Bontrager 750 wide for now
Stem - spank Spoon 40mm 31.8
Headset - NS
Grips - DMR Deathgrips
Saddle - Wtb Volt
Seatpost - Brand X Aescent 150 (prob swap to 170 when I get a 210 Lg dropper for my FS)
Front brake - Magura Mt5 /203 disc
Rear brake - Magura Mt5 /180 disc
Cranks - Sram GX, 30t blackspire oval chainring
Chainguide - teeth
Chain - yes
Pedals - Cranks Bros Samp 1 Large polymer
Front derailleur - who?
Rear derailleur - Sram Gx 11spd
Front shifter - You what mate?
Rear shifter - Sram gx 11spd
Cassette - sram x01 (I think) with a 44t one-up big ring
Front hub - Generic Bontrager or other
Rear hub - Hope Pro 4 Boost
Front rim - Sun Ringle Mulefut 50 or Ryde Edge Offset 30
Rear rim - Ryde Edge 30 offset
Spokes - DT comp
Nipples - Dt Brass Black
Tyres - Front - Bontrager XR4 3.0" / Rear Maxxis Aggressor 2.5
Tubes - Not on this safety bike sir
Total weight -

Most of the Parts are coming from the Stache.

IMG_20210924_222552.jpg

IMG_20210924_222650.jpg

Look at that 29+ knobby tyre, should be enough grip I think :)

IMG_20210924_222741.jpg

I know a few others here were looking at the deal on the eccentrics. How many others ended up getting one?

LPG

likes thicc birds
The frame has arrived. It looks the goods!

IMG_20210929_131354.jpg

IMG_20210929_131242.jpg
IMG_20210929_131443.jpg

It's definitely longer than the stache!
IMG_20210929_131044.jpgIMG_20210929_131131.jpg

Welding looked good everywhere except a little spot on the seat tube gusset where it doesnt seem to have penetrator perfectly, but that's me being picky and it won't be an issue. The rest looks perfect

IMG_20210929_131726.jpg

I still need parts so it's just a decoration for now, a very nice looking one though!

LPG

likes thicc birds
was stache large also?
Yep, both larges. The stache was a 2016 when shorter reaches and longer stems were a thing and it came with an 80mm stem. I'vesince put a 60 on it to push my weight back but I wouldn't want any shorter. The Eccentric has a 40mm longer reach, with the 40mm stem I'll be able to get a comfortable position but with the much longer Front centre and a bit longer in the rear.

LPG

likes thicc birds
A bit of an update now that all the parts are here.

I ended up selling the stache frame with the full wheel set and fork (where is the PYR Johnny). This has made the decision for me to use the diamond and build a wheelset.

I've replaced all the wearing bits in the diamond including the leaking damper seal cartridge (it wasn't tight so maybe it just needed to be tightened tbh) and Ive ordered and received a set of hope pro 4 hubs to build to the wheels with. I've built the rear wheel and will get some Spokes to do the front (I'm not too rushed, the wheels and discs are identical to my FS so I can swap the front wheel over to test ride it if everything else is sorted). Aside from the front wheel all I need to do is put a tyre on and get the dropper and deraileur cables sorted.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Alright, I've got front wheel spokes but stock meant I have half a wheel of double butted and half a wheel of single butted pillar Spokes. I know it wont make a difference I'm a mechanical engineer who is prone to overtime things. Does anyone have any theories as to which side/direction I should put which spokes? The rim is asymmetric so there is no significant difference in spoke tension between the sides.

My hairbrained theory is if I put the double butted Spokes on the leading direction they will be put into tension when braking and give me a bees dick extra traction as the spoke would have a bit more give and less sudden braking.

Let's hear some equally silly theories for some immeasurable improvements so I can decide how to build the wheel

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Theoretically, one would put the fat spokes on the drive side...at least, that is the theory that my wheel builder prescribed to on my most recent wheelset. And yes that was on the front wheel...

LPG

likes thicc birds
Theoretically, one would put the fat spokes on the drive side...at least, that is the theory that my wheel builder prescribed to on my most recent wheelset. And yes that was on the front wheel...
I understand that theory, it is done as there is different tension between the sides due to the flange spacing being different due to the disc. In my case the asymmetric rim accounts for this and the spokes on either side will have equivalent tension. I need to dig deeper for an obscure reason now.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If its asymmetric then it would have more dish on one side? Brake disc side would be shorter? So fat spokes can go that side on the front?

Edit, Rim not hub lol. Dont mind me haha.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I've just realised that I am going all eccentric engineer on this wheel build, how appropriate.

Edit, Rim not hub lol. Dont mind me haha.
Yep, rim is asymmetric to ~ match the asymmetry in the hub that is caused by the disc. The tension should be close to identical either side (There might be a slight difference but it is just a few turns of the nipple)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Given it’s the front wheel, I’d put the “stiffer”/single butted spokes on the brake side to assist resisting rotational twisting under braking loads.

You’ll be doing hectic stoppies and French turns before you know it.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I would stagger them to every 3rd spoke to create a (edit to english) nonsensical talking point at any oppurtune moment.
No I wouldn't.

Last edited:

LPG

likes thicc birds
We can have a sensual conversation...send me a PM
Can we it here in the open? I would be honoured if my bike build thread turned into a virtual text based orgy

Given it’s the front wheel, I’d put the “stiffer”/single butted spokes on the brake side to assist resisting rotational twisting under braking loads.

You’ll be doing hectic stoppies and French turns before you know it.
You see I was thinking the opposite in a way. Double butted Spokes will have a bit more give and r
Reduce the chance of me losing traction as the brakes start to bite. I was also thinking that when you brake it is torqueing the wheel, so only the spokes that are leading are in tension and doing work. The trailing spokes are loose when braking so doing nothing (unless I am going backwards of course).

Maybe I should put the single butted opposite the brakes to balance out the weight of the disc and caliper, it might help me balance?

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can we it here in the open? I would be honoured if my bike build thread turned into a virtual text based orgy

You see I was thinking the opposite in a way. Double butted Spokes will have a bit more give and r
Reduce the chance of me losing traction as the brakes start to bite. I was also thinking that when you brake it is torqueing the wheel, so only the spokes that are leading are in tension and doing work. The trailing spokes are loose when braking so doing nothing (unless I am going backwards of course).

Maybe I should put the single butted opposite the brakes to balance out the weight of the disc and caliper, it might help me balance?
Call yourself an engineer? Put the single butted spokes in a lathe and make them double butted. Can't be having that kind of inconsistency on your bike.

• Haha
Reactions: LPG