Most overated bike products

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
a thread to have a rant on what you think aren't good quality, are over priced and are over rated components

discuss your bad experiences, whether it be, breaking bars, rims collapsing, brakes not working, cranks bending etc etc

Last edited:

mtbmakesmehard

Likes Dirt
no offence to all those kona riders out there but im gonna have to say that i will never buy a kona because they are too pricy for what their actually worth, you can get a norco with equal to or better than parts for a cheaper price.
you can disagree all you like, and i accept that, but thats just how i see it.

mhuth1

Likes Dirt
ok the old shimano saint derailures i had one on my bike and it majorly stuffed up. i landed the spring came out and the derailure went into the wheel and broke a lot of stuff, all cause a spring came out.

and as for cost when they were new they were going for something like 400 bucks:eek: for the whole set of shifter and all. and i dont think it is worth it.

EDIT is this about bikes or components or both cause the title says bikes and the post says component.

Last edited:

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can buy a Cell with equal or better parts, don't ignore the frame and small attention to detail.
Not saying Norco doesn't have that either, but really - there are so many things that add up to make a bike a bike, judging purely on spec alone isn't the best way to go about things.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last edited:

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
Bike shops count?
[Mod Edit: slandering of bike shops on this forum is not permitted] mechanic workshop gives me the shits. Charged me $80 to drill and tap a 4mm bolt and put a 6mm in. Me n' Dad could have done it. Treated all of my parts like shit when i got warranty on my scott (also overpriced). For example. Broke my Sram chain in the wrong place. It had a QUICK LINK. Missing bearing for top cup. Got a cane creek instead. Put all of my other parts in a box, unproperly packed, with my dedals on top of my boxxer staunchions. GRRRRRR!
Tom.
no sorry bikes shops do not count, please do not post negative comments about bike shops.

and yes you can talk about frames and complete bikes if you want, just don't say, "oh.. MGZZZZ those bikes are sh!t house and give you aids!" just because you don't like the look of them or you have been a hack...
because that would make you an a##hole

Last edited by a moderator:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maxxis minions.
For downhill tyres there are far better tyres out there, and only for a bit more (About $70-80) a tyre

GEOFF DOOM

Likes Dirt
I resently bought a chain device and a bash guard for what i thought was a rediculous price, i then realised that some of the bolts on part of the chain device stuck right out into my wheel. i had to get them hacksawed off. i just thought this was kinda bad for the price i paid.

other than that though it works wonders :D

flyracing

Likes Dirt
Sram X0, I love sram but why would you pay almost 3 times as much for X0 when the shifter is 15g lighter than X9 and the derailleur 38g lighter, And the only difference between X9 is that it's carbon and the derailleur has a Ti spring.

And Chris king sure it's really nice but $420 for a headset when I can buy a dabomb nuclear for $80 I don't think so, and I doubt you would feel the difference.

Last edited:

patto94

Likes Dirt
I just dont like how the Odyssey hazzard hubs arent as good as the rims they are laced on. And how some things that just get over rated because they look cool or just get talked up alot.