Most overated bike products

other aardvark

Likes Bikes
Sram X0, I love sram but why would you pay almost 3 times as much for X0 when the shifter is 15g lighter than X9 and the derailleur 38g lighter, And the only difference between X9 is that it's carbon and the derailleur has a Ti spring.

And Chris king sure it's really nice but $420 for a headset when I can buy a dabomb nuclear for $80 I don't think so, and I doubt you would feel the difference.

Yep, I have to agree about XO rear mechs, I cant tell the difference between one of these over priced time bombs and X9 in shifting performance. I do however have a soft spot for XO shifters but I wont spring for them unless they are half price.

I also have a bee in my bonnet about the older 9 speed XT rear mechs. I twisted the parallelogram on 2 before I gave up on them. I then bought a LX one and have had it running for 3 years no problem. I think the LX is sturdier then the XT because it has (or did have) a steel rear plate on the parallelogram (XT is alloy) I dont know about the current SLX and XT models, maybe they are more robust???

XTR in general I steer away from, not because it doesn't work, just that bang for the buck is way south and replacement parts cost heaps.

i just had a reminder today how much I despise Manitou SPV forks, if you have em just bin em, please dont sell them on to some poor SOB.

This great thread as everyone likes to have permission to rant but is there a thread about the most best but most underrated bikes/parts???

Last edited:

other aardvark

Likes Bikes
definately chris king headsets and sram x0 deurailers, shifters fair enough because its the kind of part that you get once but the x0 deurailers are way overpriced, especially for a part tat can fail or brake on you at any time.
Amazing how much one worthless stick can cost you.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
shwalbe seem to be getting more and more popular.

i wonder if they are realy that good or if its just caus there newer?

adding

alloy spoke nipples...

i'm sure you know why.

manitou forks... plastic internals wtf??

Brodie_78Kt

Likes Dirt
i think one of the most over rated parts is Blk Mrkt stuff.

The riot i had felt ok at the time but that was stepping off a kona stuff. After getting last Cord for around about the same price its so much better, the geo is crazy aweomse its a bit heavy but it doesnt feel it.

I also had Bada bing bars so over rated ns bars are better.

pisses me off because brands like Ns and Last arent selling like Blk Mrkt and i can say this from experience, there parts are so much better, why arent they more popular?
Maybe bad advertising? I'm not sure but Bens site looks better than Blk Mrkt's?

go figure?

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

The riot i had felt ok at the time but that was stepping off a kona stuff. After getting last Cord for around about the same price its so much better, the geo is crazy aweomse its a bit heavy but it doesnt feel it.

pisses me off because brands like Ns and Last arent selling like Blk Mrkt and i can say this from experience, there parts are so much better, why arent they more popular?

go figure?
ahhhh wouldnt say that: i see alot more NS bits and bikes kicking around than blk mrkts gear.

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
rear suspension on RACE XC bikes (hardtails FTW)
unless it is an Epic (Y)

leave all of that mombo jumbo to lesure XC :p

peace todd:D:D

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It may not be over rated, but definitely over priced. DT Swiss RWS. I just got one for the back of a full susser in an effort to make sure the rear triangle holds together a little better. About a $100 shipped for a damn 10mm through axle. Called the Ratchet Wheelmount System, the damn thing doesn't even actually ratchet!

Time will tell on its performance. I just had to get it off my chest :)

lawry

Likes Dirt
Yep difinetly Straitline levers

Also 300 hundred dollar saddles
Get to your 13th or 14 th run of the day at thredbo when your hands start to seize and suddenly your Straitline levers are def not over rated.

Usually at the end of the day up there these things are all that stands in between you and a screamin heap

azicat

Likes Bikes
Brooks leather saddles (yes, I used to have one on my trail MTB!). It might make sense for road riding, but terrible offroad. Don't believe the hype.

davo808

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had to circular saw my sunline stem off my crown to remove the forks as the bolt was made of cheese and threaded way too easily, meaning the stem was fixed to the steerer.

csd

Likes Dirt

go figure?
Really? I would've thought it was the other way around? I reckon I'd see a lot more NS stuff about than I do Blkmrkt.

I'd agree with the other posts aboev though, X0 stuff is hugely overpriced for little (or no) benefit.

davo808

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chris King headsets...

Seriously, does anyone's steering spin that fast to warrant the use of sealed bearings for headsets?
Chris King sealed headsets are awesome! I've thrashed the shit outta mine and its still so smooth, much better than the cheapies like dabomb.
Also hope headsets are underated. They're no2 in my book