Moto Helmets

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I'm after a new helmet, mostly for the new factor. I have only tried on the Fox Moto ones (ugly) and they seem really heavy. I'm after a little more protection than my D2, so i was thinking a TLD SE one. Has anyone worn these and are they much heavier than a regular D2?

Is it worth the extra hundred or so to have more protection, if it is that much more?

Kreaky

Likes Dirt
i have an MDS moto helmet, heavier then my old bell, but not that far off a mad max, i have crashed on if really hard several times and it was fine, tight fit, but comfy at the same time, about $250-400, look around(P.S. go to a moto shop!!!!!!{DAHHH})

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
the whole Santa cruz syndicate uses the tlsd motos. they dont want anyother waddel happenin

road warrior

Likes Dirt
Wattsy said:
the whole Santa cruz syndicate uses the tlsd motos. they dont want anyother waddel happenin
Actually Waddel already had to use a Moto helmet anyway it was in his contract. Derin Stockton basically doubts the effectiveness of the helmets we have on offer.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a bit of a Xpost from Ridemonkey which i totally agree with
its by one of the guys from the Go-ride Store in the US

James | Go-Ride said:
There definitely is a time and place for each helmet. MTB helmets are specifically designed to keep riders safe from impacts you'll normally see in mountain biking, and DH helmets do have specific safety standards for downhill riding and racing. Moto helmets are designed to protect under impacts you'd see in a moto setting; ie faster speeds, bigger impacts, and the ever-present possibility of your bike landing on your dome. The fact of the matter is a bicycle helmet will protect your head better in a slow-speed, small impact because the shell is (generally by manufacturer) thinner than a motorcycle helmet. Moto helmets are much beefier than a DH lid, so small impacts don't cause the foam to compress as much as it would with a mountain bike helmet. On the same token, taking a big fall (such as DH Diva's) right to your head would totally crush an MTB helmet if you hit a rock because the lid is designed to protect against smaller impacts.

I don't think the moto helmet is right for everybody, but for guys and gals going pro speed on gnarly courses such as Sand Point, it does make sense. For most riders though, I think an MTB helmet makes more sense because you're not as likely to see the kind of impact speeds that Johnny Waddell did last year. Riders doing huge drops or very fast trails surrounded by trees or large rocks can benefit from the moto helmet also.

I'm not totally sure why I felt prompted to write this up, mostly just a public safety notice I suppose. This helmet debate got a lot of coverage last year after Johnny went into his coma, and we're already seeing some of it with Diva's post. Basically every rider needs to decide where their level of riding is, and which type of lid is going to best meet their needs in the event of an unfortunate line choice or variable-positioning rock movement. My two cents, anyhow.
i guess something to think about when buying a helmet
im pretty sure know which type itd buy if i was replacing my lid

cooper

Likes Dirt
wqhy is it that heaps of the bmx racers use the fox moto hekmet
wtf, ? it makes their little bikes and big bodies and huge heads look like DK mode :D

george222

Likes Bikes
mad max's rock i got on and have had some pretty hardcore stacks :shock: and it is still fine :lol: they r awesome and comfy too
the way to go!!! :D

floody

Wheel size expert
I think there is a lighter Fox Pilot coming for 2005 (and a quite nice Carey Hart model - not that I'm interested in that FMX bullshit), but get your local shop to talk to the Monza rep about it..

Otherwise I would look at moto lids from:
Thor - nice quality and styling, not too heavy, decent price
Arai- not cheap but good lids
AGV- very good helmet brand
HJC- make some nice helmets but they border on overbuilt
Axo - if they still do moto lids, their high end carbon fibre ones are great, feather light and tough...The ones I'd recommend the most.

But the thing is, for the same dollars as a mid-high range moto helmet you can buy a D2 anyway..But I guess that doesn't matter.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I have ridden motos for a while, so i have used my moto helmet for mtb. Its quite a bit beefy'er than my mates 661 one. I really cant see the disadvantage of using one.

hairy

Likes Dirt
i use a hjc moto helmet and i love it heaps better than my odyssey helmet. they cost the little bit extra but its worth it.

S.

ex offender
road warrior said:
Derin Stockton basically doubts the effectiveness of the helmets we have on offer.
Ya, and in Waddell's case that was a very good decision.

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
road warrior said:
Actually Waddel already had to use a Moto helmet anyway it was in his contract. Derin Stockton basically doubts the effectiveness of the helmets we have on offer.
interesting, thanks for that, didnt know that part. santa cruz must think aboutthere riders, not just there name.

i use a fox moto x helmet, its does'nt look out of place, its pretty small, actually smaller then my mates full face DH helmet.
I got it as it offers better protection,

weight? it weighs nothing really, not much dif between my Fox one and mates carbon DH one...