moto over dh

Aldo

Likes Bikes
i used to race A grade dh in seq queensland reasonably competitively but i recently bought a dirt bike and can say from my own opinion dh has got nothing on mx.
i mean i dont have to wait for shutles .

drifting around corners is as easy as a twist of throttle,anywhere any time.(i love drifting)

i even get more of a workout riding my dirt bike than i ever did on the dh rig or xc for that matter.

plus it cost ,at the moment the same money to maintain my yz as my 222

what are your guys thoughts ??
anyone else experience this?

Rik

logged out
Nothing beats human power, the burning in your legs as you've stomped your way down the trail, the only sounds you hear are chainslap and freewheel buzz, the only thing between you and the earth is a few kilos of metal and synthetics.

But if you're hardc0re X-TREEEEEEME, then sure motos are great, but where's the fun in twisting your wrist to get everywhere?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I did the oppisite, went from motos to pushi's. I just ran out of places to ride and people to ride with and I got over it..
Planning on getting another ride soon tho, moto's certaintly have their attractions.
Each to their own

Jaskel

Likes Dirt
Well im into both, i have a KTM 520 and nuthin beats crackin the throttle on it but most times i enjoy the MTB better..little more freedom and control...id prob take a MTB over a moto tho...

lotec

Banned
ive never ridden a moto off road and am really keen to try it and that drifting sounds mad :lol:

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
grrr... ive never ridden a moto or driven a car...

but i love mtb because you can just cruze or go hard and get an adrenlin rush and by the end of the day you can think "wow, ive achieved something"

i love MTB

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I do both and if I was forced to pick I'd keep the DH rig. The main difference for me is convenience. Mt Majura is 5 minutes away, the nearest decent Moto spot is an hours drive. It's way easier to get in a ride on the pushi. As far as fun is concerned I reckon it's a tough call. Pushi's are unreal fun to race, but there are few things as fun as a sideways moto when it's muddy. Plus I reckon riding motos helps with DH, I did a ride in the mud and it basically a case of load up the front wheel and crack open the throttle or you're stuffed. Next DH race I did I was hitting the corners faster and trusting the front a lot more.

Emmett

Likes Dirt
Interesitng thread..
A Little off topic ive just sold my DH rig to buy a 250 road bike (looking at a CBR 250)

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got both but if I had to choose right now, I'd take the MTB. This is mainly because I live in the city and the nearest places to ride dirt bikes (legally) are about 1 hour away. My local dirt jump park is only 5 minutes away.

I can't bring myself to sell my dirt bike though. It's way too much fun.

roostn247

Likes Dirt
I have always ridden motorbikes..

I had a Moto before a bmx when i was like 6..

I have had round 8 bikes throughout my life, im 24 now, just sold my Wr 250 for a R1....Dirt bikes get you used to the speed of being on 2 wheels, riding up/down & fast through loose, muddy sections & being able to control something that weighs 100kgs is definetly an asset for riding either bmx or DH...

Ive opted for a road bike now, cause the coppers are getting more strict on riding on private property like water board trails etc.. up in the bushlands....:-( the many times ive been warned!

Anyways, if i had to choose between the two, honestly i have no idea on which way i'd go....Motocross for big jumps, & the SPEED!, Downhill for the adrenalin, & the more techinical sections that you can ride up in the bush etc...its so hard too choose!

Aldo

Likes Bikes
i'm going to sell my 222 but will keep my fs tazer for dirt jumping and 4x.
i cant imagine lossing complete interest in mtb but all i want to do right now is ride my moto.
i never thought riding on flat ground let alone up hills would be so much fun.
currrently in the market for 250f if anybody knows of anyone selling

Jordy

RYD4LF
If you have somewhere to ride them motos are sick ! but if you need to travel or work around your parents schedule it gets boring...i havent ridden my moto in like 3 months !

floody

Wheel size expert
I've ridden dirtbikes on and off for probably 17-18 years, raced for a few years at that too. I also have raced in pretty much every discipline of MTB (mainly DH and slalom) and some BMX too. currently I have neither but anyways...
For me they are linked but completely different. I think my MX background is what pushed me into DH, but a good XC ride is fun too. Strangely, moto trailriding doesn't do it for me. I've never been into dirtjumping or "freestyle mx", because they're stupid...
I would say that for me the equal best feeling is railing some steep g-out style berm or or slamming switchbacks on the mtb, and on the moto, well theres nothing that compares to going flat out on a bigbore four stroke on a wide, fast, loamy grasstrack, with sweeping corners and big hills (aka barrabool thumpernats course at Geelong on the KLX650 my old man built a while back), fast enough that you can just keep snatching gears and not run out of space, nothing beats that!

memo to self : Must get early R-model KLX again!

floody

Wheel size expert
CHEWY said:
I did the oppisite, went from motos to pushi's. I just ran out of places to ride and people to ride with and I got over it..
Planning on getting another ride soon tho, moto's certaintly have their attractions.
Each to their own
Almost exactly my own sentiments, I had to move in from the bush so thats when the BMX then MTB's took over.

Aldo

Likes Bikes
im only new to moto but ican see where you can get over it .

ive been doing a bit of trailriding at the moment just to learn how to ride fast.me and my friends all own mxers and (yz's,cr's and so on)we race around on bush loops like it we were on mx tracks.

its wicked when you try and setup a passing move and it comes off ,you know me and my friends did that for a consistantly 15 mins on sunday .tell me a dh track that long!

cant say enough about it ,the roar ,the smell,roasting your mates dodging there roast i love it :D :D :D :D

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I think the term your looking for is "roosting" but yea, its hell fun.
What bike are you on?

Aldo

Likes Bikes
was on a 02 yz250 but a mate wrote it off and himself in the process in a freak accident.
currently borrowing a mate 01 kx125 until i get my new rig in about 2 weeks,im chomping at the bit to get another ride.
i suppose that is one downside to motos,you ride fast you go down even harder.
my friend was in icu for 4weeks was touch and go for a while, but fingers crossed he is on his way to making a near full recovery