Mount Baw Baw financial troubles...

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just read this on the Age. Will be interesting to see if and how these potential changes impact the committment to the green season and MTB in particular.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Yeah it's not a great outlook, but hardly surprising. Things are fickle enough with the 3 major resorts in Vic, let alone these smaller resorts. I'm very surprised this course of action has taken this long to come about.
Saying that, I think if you live in Adelaide or Perth and per book a family snow holiday, you should be doing it at a place that is more likely to produce the goods shouldn't you?!
Baw baws investment in the summer months will hopefully add to their well being, rode up there 4 times over the summer and all those days had people everywhere doing all sorts of stuff.. If its a ghost town in winters with no snow ( which will become more and more frequent) maybe the summer can pick up some slack?

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
Yeah, it only emphasizes the need for green season focus

The story of the disappointed family from Adelaide is laughable though...

Loudvq

Likes Dirt
Perfect opportunity to turn the place into Australia's number 1 mtb mountain. Stop all focus on the snow and more on summer. Naw naw is one of the best mountains I've been to in summer it would be a shame to loose it

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah it amazed me that people would plan an interstate, family snow trip with Baw Baw as the destination.

I love riding Baw Baw, it's a hoot of a track. Analysis of revenues would be interesting as, given the state of their snow season, they probably made more money over summer than they are this winter.

treble

Likes Dirt
Been snowboarding at Baw Baw a few times. Never been during summer, do they have many trails? I've heard a few people say its good out there. Might have to head out there once the 'snow' is gone again.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, it would be great to see this shift their focus to summer. It's a good hill plenty of scope for trails and close to Melbourne. Hopefully it doesn't bring it down though.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
The road to Mt Baw Baw is a real bitch. That was the worst thing about going there
Yep! I stayed near by with the intention of doing some day activities up there just prior to this snow season. After driving for 45 mins on that shitty one lane road, I got to the final steep 6km pinch to the summit and my poor old Landrover couldn't hack it, cooked the transmission and ended the day about 4km before reaching the village!

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Yep! I stayed near by with the intention of doing some day activities up there just prior to this snow season. After driving for 45 mins on that shitty one lane road, I got to the final steep 6km pinch to the summit and my poor old Landrover couldn't hack it, cooked the transmission and ended the day about 4km before reaching the village!
Yeah, its a crap road to drive, but a great road for the road bike, just a bit of risk with traffic / blind corners.......and pot holes