Votes: 15 7.2%
  • Africa

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Ok first off, by no means am I a racist.
This thread isn't meant to divide people, because we all should know that everybody is equal.
It is just out of personal interest...
I know this may seem very racist at first, but please give it a chance.
Otherwise, just don't post!
If you think this thread is inappropriate, I'll reword the poll.
Or, tell me or a mod to close it completely.

So, what is your heritage? :)
This is just a poll to see which nationalities are interested in mountain biking!

Because as a personal observation, I have never seen a non Caucasian mountain biking for leisure.
And as this is just an online forum, so it won't be a very accurate poll, but I still think it will be interesting to see the results!

.:EDIT:.
Ok guys, I can't edit the poll, but Australia should of been "Australasia", which includes our surrounding islands like New Zealand...and Tasmania :p
And even if you have lived in Australia your whole life, just put your background continent!

Last edited:

sim_doggy

Likes Dirt
Yer I see where your coming from, but it really depends on where you ride and what you ride.
When I go down to the skato I'll see all kinds of race's but when I'm cruising my neck of the woods it's just Anglo-saxon looking guys probably with a dash of this or that thrown for exotic goods looks.... well not really but you know what i mean.

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Handy-dandy hint 1: - Australasia instead. I myself am a New Zealander who lives in Australia. Just might save some similar tweaks ;)

Handy-dandy hint 2: - lots of people are of Asian/European/etc. descent, but have lived here there whole lives. Maybe re-word it because there could be some confusion there too.

Good idea though. I'm interested too but yes, australia is going to dominate in this particular forum :p

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Jesus... where do you come up with this stuff? I don't think you're trying to be racist, but at the very least you're either being unobservant or you live in one of our leafy green eastern suburbs that don't let "them kind" in unless they're cleaning the pool:rolleyes:.

Point 1. I can name a fair few non caucasian riders that are regular posters here on Farkin.

Point 2. This thread is almost certainly going to go belly-up and when it does I'm going to leave it open so it can be hung about your neck like a stinking albatross.

Enjoy.:D

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Because as a personal observation, I have never seen a non Caucasian mountain biking for leisure.

You need to get out and ride more. You think there is no mountain biking in Asia, South America?
http://www.hkmba.org/ You better tell these guys they are wasting their time..

And as this is just an online forum, so it won't be a very accurate poll
So why bother ?

...a 5 second google would have saved you the tag of racist.

CGR

Likes Dirt
As interesting as it would be to see the racial distribution of Farkin, and i know you arn't meaning to be dividing the members into racial groups, i think it would be unfortunatly inevitable, maybe not to a significant extent, but to an extent all the same.
I think thats the beauty of online forums, when someones opinion or advice is offered its not consided a valid one because of their appearance, but because of the reputation they have, i.e. do they have a history of incorrect advice? does what their saying make sense?
Being judged on your reputation can be a bad thing, but campaired to being judged because of their appearance, its nothing.

Last edited:

Plow King

Little bit.
Well I live in Australia and have been for 10 odd years... But I lived in England for 7 years.. But we all came from asia (supposably)

So I guess I'm asian?

There are no different races... Probably should have used to word 'cultures'. Different 'cultures have different ideas, and different ways of living life'.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
.. But we all came from asia (supposably)

. Different 'cultures have different ideas, and different ways of living life'.

Bwahahahaha! :D Dude........

This thread could have some good entertainment coming up, I'm with Grip here and we'll let it ride.;)
Central Americans aren't the type of people you want to piss off by the way..........

Zyphryss

Ralph: Done, thanks for the tip! I've edited my first post.

Grip: Appreciate it :rolleyes: Thanks for keeping this thread open though!

toodles: That would be considered as "other" :p

WolfCreekPhycho: I never said there wasn't riding outside Australia. I just stated that from personal experience, I have never seen a non Caucasian riding mountain bikes for a hobby. Please read what I said before you make false statements! Feel free to give me the "tag of racist", but I guess that gives you the tag of being judgemental ;)

jumpers: Very good point, and no it does not matter whatsoever. :)

CUBWH: Thanks for your concern. Of course it doesn't matter what people look like, I just thought it would be interesting to know which cultures mountain biking appeals to! Like I said though, this isn't a very accurate poll.

Plow King: You can call yourself whatever you want, it doesn't make a difference to me. I will edit my post to say "cultures" instead.

Now people, please get back on topic :)
This isn't meant to be about racism. I apologise in advance if I have offended anyone!

Plow King

Little bit.
Different 'cultures' have different opertunities (sp) in life. I,e Most people from Australia hae the oppertunity to race and buy dh bikes because they have enough disposable income, free time and there are clubs dedicated too it.

Whereas people from a different country or area may not have the same oppertunity (sp) as they may not have the disposable income, the free time or clubs near them.

Which can determine what people play which sport... I probably shouldn't have written anything in this thread because undoubtably I will get flamed...

I really don't see the point of this thread... If you want an answer for some reason perhaps check the nationalities of all the people that compete in the world cups throughout the world.

Last edited:

tnankie

Likes Dirt
if you are making some point about under-representation of ethnic backgrounds in mountain biking compared the population based proportions then I think the answer lies in a demographic study based on socio-economic-regio context rather than ethnic background.

i.e where people live, the society around them and the amount of money determine all of this (whether they ride off-road or not) much better than race.

Last edited:

Plow King

Little bit.
if you are making some point about under-representation of ethnic backgrounds in mountain biking compared the population based proportions then I think the answer lies in a demographic study based on socio-economic-regio context rather than ethnic background.

i.e where people live, the society around them and the amount of money determine all of this much better than race.
There we go! That's what I meant... Mine was a lamer version of that post.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt

i.e where people live, the society around them and the amount of money determine all of this much better than race.
So what is being suggested by the survey then is that non caucasians make up the majority of the poorer demographics ?

Otherwise the survey should read "Where do you live?" subtexted by I have never seen anyone MTB'ing for pleasure from Minto.

The whole premise of the poll is without any base.

Zyphryss

The whole premise of the poll is without any base.
Ok, to put it simply:

I made this thread to see, out of the farkin community, which nationality's were interested in mountain biking. Obviously it would be favoured by Australia...But I still believe I made a totally non racist thread. The poll was anonymous, so unless you are "ashamed" about your nationality, for whatever reason... why would you have anything against this topic?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It's not racist at all, you're just asking a question about a topic that is so sygmatised that it's almost taboo. Unfortunately it does make you seem a touch sheltered whether you are or not.

Naz
Oddjob
Udi
Cleeshoy
Mike&Nat

Met them/know them well. Korean, Sri Lankan Chinese, etc.

WTR's family is also from Honk Kong if I remember correctly.

Toodles came from a kennel somewhere in the Phillipines.

Last edited:

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
which nationality's were interested in mountain biking.
Then I reckon you might want to re-word the question to actually ask that. The way you've said it above is perfect ;)

Obviously it would be favoured by Australia
And this is where you're getting yourself into trouble with statements like this (even though, as I said before, I don't believe you're trying to be racist), but do you mean "anglo" Australians? Or "German" Australians? Or "Vietnamese" Australians? Or "Chinese" Australians? Or Kiwi Australians?, or Hungarian Australians? or Korean Australians? or Sudanese Australians? or Sth African Australians? or Japanese Australians? or Italian Australians? or Greek Australians? or Russian Australians? or English Australians?

I'm going to stop now but I reckon you HOPEFULLY should be getting the idea by now. You say you're not being racist, but the problem is you seem to have a very one-dimensional view of what "Australian" means. :)

wombat

Lives in a hole
Ok, to put it simply:

I made this thread to see, out of the farkin community, which nationality's were interested in mountain biking. Obviously it would be favoured by Australia...But I still believe I made a totally non racist thread. The poll was anonymous, so unless you are "ashamed" about your nationality, for whatever reason... why would you have anything against this topic?
Firstly, you're not asking about "nationality", you're questioning broard cultural areas, and to start off with you were asking about race.

Nit-picking aside though, I don't think anyone is necessarily offended by the thread, the reason that they have something against it is because your premise is to obtain information, yet the means by which you're trying to do so are poorly constructed and horrendously biased, so there's very little chance of you actually get any results that are worth anything.

I'd say people have something against this thread not because of its topic, but because that it is more likely to generate mis-information than usable information, and that's never a good thing.