Mt Annan

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
Today was the second leg of my Tour De Easter and it was my first ride of the MTB trail at Mt Annan.

Let me say first up that it is great to see a new MTB facility provided in this area and it is a great resource that will give more people a taste of this great sport.

Now that I have got that out of the way I have to say that I was disappointed or a little let down with this trail. It may just be the fact that I rode this trail the day after Awaba but for mine it was just uninspiring and a little....well...boring. The strength of this trail, its accessiblility to the "non MTB" public may also be its weakness. The trail was very dusty and worn with quite a few sections blown out. There is also too many sections of single trail through paddock for it to really get interesting.

Now before I REALLY sound like a MTB snob, let me be clear I am NOT a great rider, neither in fitness or technical skill and whilst I found this trail boring or unchallenging, there were a few sections where due to my lack of skill and trail knowledge I did come unstuck a few times and have to put a foot down. One thing that really annoyed me about this trail is in the "blue" section which is clearly marked as more challenging and harder than the green section, for almost EVERY technical obstacle that has been installed, the volume of "general public" riders have blown a B line past or around the obstacle. Now I know that it doesnt stop me from riding the "A line" anyway, but for some reason it really annoyed me. I guess as this trail is built/maintained by the trust and not volunteers, it shouldnt matter but it seems to me to go against the principles of MTB and "dumbs down" the track.

If it brings more people to the sport it is a great thing, but I dont think I'll travel to Mt Annan regularly.

Am I being a snob?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One thing that really annoyed me about this trail is in the "blue" section which is clearly marked as more challenging and harder than the green section, for almost EVERY technical obstacle that has been installed, the volume of "general public" riders have blown a B line past or around the obstacle.
it seems to me to go against the principles of MTB and "dumbs down" the track.
We have an old timer trail builder who threatens people with beheading by rakehoe for trail short cutting.
Pretty rare for a Blue rated trail to need B lines. Riders should only ride trails they are capable with, but curiosity will always see riders out of their depth.

This is when riders should WALK sections they are not confident with, not make alternate lines.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the problem with Mt Annan is that we have been spoilt with the recent purpose built trails that have been constructed ie Stromlo and Awaba. These places set a high standard in regards to their constrction. As a result i have a feeling that the MTB community had really high hopes for Mt Annan and we all expected kilometres of flowing singletrack. Now we didn't get that and as a result people were dissapointed.However if Mt Annan had of been a trail that had been developed in less formal manner say like knapsack reserve or yellowmundie people would see it it a different light. I actually like it. Its not my favourite place to ride but I definately will be riding it in the near future and don't forget the place isn't finnished yet.

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
This is why I feel like a MTB snob. I think the "problem" with Mt Annan (based on only one ride) is the volume of non MTB riders riding the track. They dont really understand the sport and the green/blue/black principles, nor do they know and therefore respect the many principles of our sport, such as respecting the trail and work put into it, not to mention the actual surrounding environment, by blasting new trails anywhere that it gets "too hard". I think many of the riders are just general public who have been there for a BBQ, brought their bikes and thought I'll have a crack at this. When they get to a technical obstacle they think "WOAH!" and just blast around it.

The difference at say Yellomundee is that really it is only known and used by MTBers who learn and generally respect the principles of the sport. Having ridden both, I'd much rather ride Yellomundee.

Now before I come off as a total MTB snob, I have put problem in "" above because although it upset me the way the track was degraded, at least Mt Annan is getting people on bikes, out on a trail and having a go which is a good thing for the sport and the community generally I would think. I just wonder if the trails success is going to be kind of self limiting?

bt100

Likes Dirt
How long were you there? also were you riding with someone as this normally adds to the enjoyment.

I rode Mt Annan last weekend for the first time and the first couple of laps didn't really flow but after that I got into a groove. The only sections after that were the four rock gardens in a row. I'm on the northern beaches and would love something like this.

Also, after riding Awaba and having a good session there its hard for anything to live up to that as Awaba just rocks big time. What other tracks have you planned for your tour de easter?

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
I only rode two laps and yes I was by myself. YOu are also correct about the unfair comparison after riding Awaba.

I am riding Mt Stromlo tomorrow.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
One thing you have to remember about Mt. Annan is that one of the key focus points during the design phase was to create a track that (yes I know it sounds awful) wasn't too fast.

The trail was designed this way so that dangerous speeds could not be reached easily, hence reducing the amount of injuries, making it more accessible for families and children, and reduce wear and tear on the tracks to reduce maintenance costs and labour.

And the B lines are there because there are a lot of people on that trail who are discovering mountain biking for the first time. Lots of families and children who just don't have the confidence of an experienced mtb'er, and this provides an option.

The end result means that you have trails that don't flow like some of the trails designed for the more experienced faster riders like stromlo, and something that is essentially entry level.

And for this reason, I think it is perfect.
Not for me, as I like faster flowier trails, but for the purpose of introducing newbies to the sport, and being just technical and adventurous enough to provide them with a sense of accomplishment.
And encourage them to do more of it.

In fact, the last time I was there, there was a Dad and his kid putting their bikes back on the racks after a ride. The Dad was on a hybrid with semi slicks and about 20mm of travel and the kid on a full rigid 16" no name bike and the kid was saying "That was awesome Dad! Can I get a real mountain bike for my birthday"?
I gave a nod and a thumbs up as I rode past with a big grin on my face.
That's what Mt. Annan is doing.

Experienced riders will outgrow this trail quickly however, I found that the more I rode it the more I got out of it.
The first time I rode it I didn't like it because I was expecting something else.
Now you know what it is, try it a few more times and as you learn the lines you can really start to appreciate what is laid down.

Give it another crack.

Last edited:

DaSchmooze

Likes Bikes
One thing you have to remember about Mt. Annan is that one of the key focus points during the design phase was to create a track that (yes I know it sounds awful) wasn't too fast.

The trail was designed this way so that dangerous speeds could not be reached easily, hence reducing the amount of injuries, making it more accessible for families and children, and reduce wear and tear on the tracks to reduce maintenance costs and labour.

And the B lines are there because there are a lot of people on that trail who are discovering mountain biking for the first time. Lots of families and children who just don't have the confidence of an experienced mtb'er, and this provides an option.

The end result means that you have trails that don't flow like some of the trails designed for the more experienced faster riders like stromlo, and something that is essentially entry level.

And for this reason, I think it is perfect.
Not for me, as I like faster flowier trails, but for the purpose of introducing newbies to the sport, and being just technical and adventurous enough to provide them with a sense of accomplishment.
And encourage them to do more of it.

In fact, the last time I was there, there was a Dad and his kid putting their bikes back on the racks after a ride. The Dad was on a hybrid with semi slicks and about 20mm of travel and the kid on a full rigid 16" no name bike and the kid was saying "That was awesome Dad! Can I get a real mountain bike for my birthday"?
I gave a nod and a thumbs up as I rode past with a big grin on my face.
That's what Mt. Annan is doing.

Experienced riders will outgrow this trail quickly however, I found that the more I rode it the more I got out of it.
The first time I rode it I didn't like it because I was expecting something else.
Now you know what it is, try it a few more times and as you learn the lines you can really start to appreciate what is laid down.

Give it another crack.
Great post. Couldn't agree more and well said too.

Dazzo

Likes Dirt
I only rode two laps and yes I was by myself. YOu are also correct about the unfair comparison after riding Awaba.

I am riding Mt Stromlo tomorrow.
Should have headed a little further south to Appin and had a hoot there! Great track ;)

neil thompson

Likes Dirt
The track just had a 4-8 race Rocky Trail 300 + riders.
I did the 4hr and this track is real hard on your body a lot harder than all the already mention which I have ridden except Appin.
I did a few laps on the weekend too and the was a few short cuts mybe the 8hr riders found a diffrent line or 2, I still took all the original lines no problem.
Its a great fittness track ask any one who raced it non stop.
Cheers Neil

aaron

Likes Bikes
I did 18 laps at the Rocky Trail 8hr and loved it.

You may find the B lines were in fact "race" lines that developed as the race went on. It's pretty common with endurance lap races I think, once you've done a few laps quicker lines become apparent through corners or around obstacles which ultimately makes the track more enjoyable. Sometimes(all hail the Trail Fairies) the builders vision and what works are not the same thing.

It's great to have a track that all levels of rider can race on together, the lower level riders can get some inspiration/technque from the quicker ones and maybe improve their riding and overall experience.

Looking forward to the Chocolate Foot event...

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You may find the B lines were in fact "race" lines that developed as the race went on. It's pretty common with endurance lap races I think, once you've done a few laps quicker lines become apparent through corners or around obstacles which ultimately makes the track more enjoyable. Sometimes(all hail the Trail Fairies) the builders vision and what works are not the same thing.
The 'B lines' around the obstacles in the Field of Dreams or Nightmares were there before the race. The corners that have been cut through the tight tree lined section near the bridges I'm pretty sure were formed during the race as I don't remember them being there beforehand.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Am I being a snob?
Not necessarily a snob but maybe just don't expect every 'new' trail to be endless sweet flowing single track.
Personally I enjoyed the track when I did the recent 4hr there, and for an enduro course thought there was plenty of passing opportunities as well. Sure it needs a little tweaking here and there (what trail doesn't) and of course once they extend it further it would make it even better.
I don't think everything has too 'flow' for it to be fun, it just has to be rideable.

sly_artichoke

Likes Dirt
Yep, rode a preview yesterday with the Choc Foot crew, Fi and Joe. Being all brand spanking new it needs bedding in as there are some soft edges (so why not get hundreds of bikes to race over it - great plan!). Some neat new features such as a tabletop double, some sniggle through the scrub and some testing little technical pinches, it's all a welcome addition to the track. Looking forward to Sunday to link it all together.

Some photos from Enduro Pulse's site here http://www.enduropulse.com.au/articles/features/407-mt-annan-lifts-the-covers-for-singletrack-minded.

It won't be the easiest 8hr you'll ever do that's for certain.

cheers

Simon

murf58

Likes Bikes
Not being a smartarse - but why wont it be the easiest 8 hour? Is the course technical or hilly? Or will it be a fast course?
Also, does anyone know how long the actual loop is?

Thanks

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
i havent ridden the new stage 3 section, so can only comment on the stage 1 and 2, and it is tight twisty, slightly techy in sections and is non stop pedalling, no places to rest....its hard work

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Not being a smartarse - but why wont it be the easiest 8 hour? Is the course technical or hilly? Or will it be a fast course?
Also, does anyone know how long the actual loop is?

Thanks
as trickymac said - it's tight and twisty, not much chance of a rest. If you haven't been there it's techie in it's own strange way - they've chosen some really weird lines which don't really help flow (eg berm into off camber corner) so you really have to work your way through the whole lap.

The new section adds about 2.5km to the loop, so with the original 7 or so km, you'll have close to 9-10kms all up per lap.

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
Here's a video we shot on the weekend featuring all the goodness of stage 3

[video=youtube_share;YVttd56u5oU]http://youtu.be/YVttd56u5oU[/video]