Mt Beauty Big Hill down hill Helmet cam

pashy

Likes Bikes
Helmet cam footage of the Big Hill Downhill that was taken on Sunday 4th. This is the current condition of the track that will be used for the race this weekend. VDHS

[video=youtube;cQe4yN45I30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQe4yN45I30[/video]

dunndog

Eats Squid
Nice! Looks like a pretty fast flowy track.. what's a competitive time on that one? not 9:52 i'm assuming..

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive never ridden it but was talking about it the other day and average time is between 8-10 minutes i was told. Apparently shuttles are 45mins as well.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That made me tired just watching it. And to think that was cut so it would fit on YouTube... it will be an interesting race!

pashy

Likes Bikes
The elite times on this track are between 8 and 9 minutes the shuttles take about 20 to 25 minutes to get to the top of Big Hill. Its a very popular race and most people enjoy the track.

dunndog

Eats Squid
So probably like a 45 minute shuttle round trip if you were out there shuttling with yr mates.. I'm sure it is a popular track, i'm pretty keen to get up there and ride it some time! Looks like fun. In Tassie next weekend though.. And 8 or 9 minutes is a long time to be locked in, bloody hell get those cans of spinach cracked for some popeye forearms!!

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anyone know if they're using the big buses for shuttles this weekend? thought they might change it due to the slow turnaround.

either way i cant wait, should be an awesome race!

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've heard small busses and more of them. Should work well.

Good vid pashy. Nice line at 9:09 , we were just talking about that today. Not so secret now ! :) (might get bunted off anyway)

pashy

Likes Bikes
The word is 13 mini buses sent off in groups so there is a good turn over at the loading area. Hope it works out can't see why not and it should at least be quicker than the full size buses.
Check the VHDS web site as well shuttles start times are different this time 7am on Sunday i think.

$$Clarkson$$

Likes Dirt
im loving some of the new little lines cant wait to race it, its goin to be a interesting race 8-9 mins long time to keep it together last time i raced here i got all the way down with a clean run apart from my chain coming off an gears skipping then i crashed 50 meters from the finish line. So im keen to smash it this weekend and not crash hopefully.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Hmmm.....how many heart-attacks will take place this weekend?:D
Where abouts along that fire road will the drinks stand be? Seeing it's sooo long, me thinks we can fit 2!

Note: The times on Sunday ARE correct. Everything moves forward and hour.

I have also had it confirmed that there will be LOTS of mini buses.

Last edited:

Ozza

Eats Squid
I've heard small busses and more of them. Should work well.

Good vid pashy. Nice line at 9:09 , we were just talking about that today. Not so secret now ! :) (might get bunted off anyway)
haha I was jumping of the road a bit after the entry into the last section for the short course race over the top of the shrubs, it got bunted sunday haha!

juan

Likes Dirt
mmm...after watching the video i am thinking what bike would be better to take a glory00 or a reign xo?
is hard to say but can someone tell me if those rock sections are gnarly?
a lot of pedaling!
thanks.

jimmy-dh

Likes Dirt
mmm...after watching the video i am thinking what bike would be better to take a glory00 or a reign xo?
a lot of pedaling!
thanks.
Theres only one rock garden that might give you some trouble. I got it done easy enough last year on an all mountain bike but I recon a downhill bike would be better there. Last year I didnt really notice the length. Although in saying that, in my race run I was struggling to stand up all the time.

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
a lot of pedaling!
thanks.
Lets just say if i had a ReignX id be taking that. If in doubt take both.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a lot of pedaling!
thanks.
the top rockgarden would be slightly harder, as well as the single track after it. id be riding clipped, but on either bike. the new glory's are light and pedal good anyway. theres only one flat bit of fireroad where you really have to pedal. and id say the glory would make up for it in the fast sections, and bottom single track, it'd probably hold speed better.

just some fast rolling tires and clips, your set :) oh and maybe some energy bars/drinks@ halfway

Oh and to 24 alpha, how many minibuses? like lots lots?

Smooth King

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cant head up to this one. Cant afford which is a Pitty. Track looks pretty good, just about the same as Last year just with alittle more of a Growth Spirt!

Be interesting to see if anyone could brake the 8min mark ? Id shake their hand !

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cant head up to this one. Cant afford which is a Pitty. Track looks pretty good, just about the same as Last year just with alittle more of a Growth Spirt!

Be interesting to see if anyone could brake the 8min mark ? Id shake their hand !
you know what the best time was last year?

that would be super fast

edit: just saw some results from '06. liam pannozo got a 8.05. maybe on the new bike he'll crack it.

Last edited:

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
there's bugger all pedalling apart from the mid section. if you're smart, you pedal out of the turns, then just tuck in and do the same speed and save your energy ;)