Mt Buller - All you need to know

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
from what i have herd the xc tracks are not that good... but i havent riden them you would prolly be better off asking those who have riden them

and i dont know why they havent opened yet all i can think of is that the tracks at buller are steeper and the water / snow prolly does more damage to them so they need longer to fix them before opening them back up to the public? plus there is wooden stuff (berms bridges drops wall rides) that need put back up?

isthisthepart

... where I admit I'm an idiot?
im going up tomorrow morning after my 8 hour night shift for the around the clock shop :D new morphine today its going to be AWESOME see you there

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BrumbyJack said:
What is the XC track like at Buller????
steep and rough the really good tracks are over on stirling so you need to maake a day of it.

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i cant seem to find any prices for lifts? i am probably blind and hopeless but can someone help me out? im staying at a friends lodge so i need the prices without the accomodation or watever else.
cant wait though, my first proper DH experience ahahaha, just praying my new frame will be here in time

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BrumbyJack said:
So where is the XC track for the National round??? Buller or Stirling???

last year and at the oceanias it went from Mt.buller to stirling and back, more like and enduro loop.

Heppla

Likes Dirt
Uncle Pats

Just like to add that uncle pats is also open, which is located in the cow camp plaza next to the clock tower. They have a full menu including pizzas all at a fairly low price. I would recommend uncle pats to anyone! open 9am till late!

downhilldan

Cannon Fodder
Help!! Anyone from Sydney going to buller???

G'Day from BEAR country!!!
Who can car pool with me from sydney to Buller????
I wnt to leave any time tomorrow!!!

sid-swartz

Likes Bikes
Mt Buller

Anyone got any info on when Mt Buller closes to mountain bikers for the season and what times and days the lifts operate.I cant seem to find out anything on their website.
On a similar note does anyone know anything much about the dh run at Mt Hotham.When does the lift operate and what's the DH track like?
Thanks for any help.

Heppla

Likes Dirt
sid-swartz said:
Anyone got any info on when Mt Buller closes to mountain bikers for the season and what times and days the lifts operate.I cant seem to find out anything on their website.
On a similar note does anyone know anything much about the dh run at Mt Hotham.When does the lift operate and what's the DH track like?
Thanks for any help.
G'day, Mt Buller will be open every weekend till and including the easter weekend from 10am - 4pm. I think hotham is next open on the easter weekend but i've never riddern the track, hope that helps and enjoy!

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've heard a rumour that Buller won't be open next season... Anyone got any info on this?

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What I do know is that both VicMTB and Kona have pulled the pin on it and the only one looking after it now is Tyron ( he no longer has anything to do with VicMTB ). So both major sponsors have pulled out.
I doubt it will be closed next season but it's not all going as smooth as they would of hoped. One of the Grollo boys is right behind it and they are always looking at ways of attracting summer numbers to Mt Buller, as it is a solid draw card to the hill in summer the chances are it will remain open. Everything takes a long time to progress in Alpine parks.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
I hope it stays open, it was a fun place to visit and ride.

Good luck Ty and Kate :)

BTW, it seemed like it was all coming together last season with Spurs doing accommodation etc. It was our first visit and we are all very eager to return, even for a weekend rather than just for racing.

Last edited:

Heppla

Likes Dirt
andy73 said:
I've heard a rumour that Buller won't be open next season... Anyone got any info on this?

Well that's a rumour that ain't true!! Trust me Buller will be open next summer i'll make sure of it and if all goes well will be open sooner than boxing day. New cross county tracks will be the first upgrade thanks to Glen Jacobs, hopefully followed closly with 4X, jumps and futher improvements on the downhill with the possablity of a new race track futher down the road. VICMTB is out of there, but i belive Kona Stays (Kona-Mt Buller Factory Team). Tyron and Kate will run the shop.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sid-swartz said:
On a similar note does anyone know anything much about the dh run at Mt Hotham........ what's the DH track like?
Thanks for any help.
The current track is about 60 % fire trail , the other 40 % of singletrack is not that technical and includes a really fun slalom section. Overall it's about 2 minutes long. Great for punters , but hopefully a new track will be built for this coming summer. There's loads of potential up there , but enviromental issues could make it slow going. Lets hope not.

Ultimately I think they need to use the Heavenly valley quad chair and build the new track over that side of the hill. The Village chair currently used is slow......really slow. I recall one ride back up being around 15 minutes !

Back on topic , thats good news about Buller expanding the trails. Another DH run would lessen the impact on the 2 current trails. I'll definately be making a few trips up there in 06 / 07. Great value for money too.

broccoli

Likes Bikes
hey

I from new zealand and am thinking of coming over to melbourne where my dad lives in december and going out to mt buller for a couple of weeks.Will it be open in december?what are the tracks like?and where is there to stay out there?

cheers brock any info would be much apreciated